cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is a Chase Freedom cli worth the hp?

tag
Journeygod
Regular Contributor

Re: Is a Chase Freedom cli worth the hp?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

@Journeygod wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I've read on the forum that Chase is horrible when it comes to cli's. I've read that auto cli's are virtually none existent. Is it worth the hp? I've got 10 now so I'd hate to waste one and only get a minuscule increase or worse, be denied. Thoughts?

Short answer: No

Long answer: Hell no

Chase sucks, period. The only cards worth applying for are their co-branded cards.

Rule of thumb: NEVER apply for a CLI with a hardpull. If it ain't soft, I don't want it.

Save hardpulls for new apps. They're too valuable.

With all due respect I disagree with this highlighted statement for two reasons, #1 hard pulls are no big deal, they last 1 year as far as scoring and once you get over 5 or 6 there is no additional score penalty which is minor anyway. #2: if I can get a $5k to $10k+ CLI and have to "suffer" a hard pull, thats well worth it IMO. 

I recently added $15k to my two BoA cards (HP), as far as Chase, my Freedom Unlimited went from $2k to $10k with a HP last year. I have a lot of HP's on all three CRA's (20+ on each) and it doesn't stop me from getting new cards (example last month joined NFCU with a GoRewards Visa $23,500 SL) or credit limit increases.

As far as the question the OP asked I have a Freedom Unlimited which started out as a basic Freedom and I used a HP to go from $2k to $10k as I stated above, that said it's a higher APR card that I use very little because I have other cards that offer better rewards and lower APR's even those I usually PIF and always PIF with the Freedom Unlimited card. I'd suggest if you are going to use a HP on Chase you app for the AARP card - cash sign up spend-bonus, better rewards and changes are a decent SL. 

I think your rule of thumb makes a lot of sense!

This rule of thumb will have you stuck at your SL because auto increases are few and far between....just my 2 cents....Smiley Happy

Actually not true. I pulled an additional $60,000 last year with softpulls on pre-existing cards. It all starts with what kind of cards you're applying for in the first place.

You have to have a pretty good idea about the banking practices behind that card and how 'softpull friendly' they are.

Do research before you apply so you leave yourself the flexibility.

Don't wait to find out after you get the card just so you can come back begging later.

Message 21 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Journeygod wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

@Journeygod wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
I've read on the forum that Chase is horrible when it comes to cli's. I've read that auto cli's are virtually none existent. Is it worth the hp? I've got 10 now so I'd hate to waste one and only get a minuscule increase or worse, be denied. Thoughts?

Chase sucks, period. The only cards worth applying for are their co-branded cards.

Rule of thumb: NEVER apply for a CLI with a hardpull. If it ain't soft, I don't want it.

With all due respect I disagree with this highlighted statement for two reasons, #1 hard pulls are no big deal, they last 1 year as far as scoring and once you get over 5 or 6 there is no additional score penalty which is minor anyway. #2: if I can get a $5k to $10k+ CLI and have to "suffer" a hard pull, thats well worth it IMO. 

I recently added $15k to my two BoA cards (HP), as far as Chase, my Freedom Unlimited went from $2k to $10k with a HP last year. I have a lot of HP's on all three CRA's (20+ on each) and it doesn't stop me from getting new cards (example last month joined NFCU with a GoRewards Visa $23,500 SL) or credit limit increases.

As far as the question the OP asked I have a Freedom Unlimited which started out as a basic Freedom and I used a HP to go from $2k to $10k as I stated above, that said it's a higher APR card that I use very little because I have other cards that offer better rewards and lower APR's even those I usually PIF and always PIF with the Freedom Unlimited card. I'd suggest if you are going to use a HP on Chase you app for the AARP card - cash sign up spend-bonus, better rewards and changes are a decent SL. 

This rule of thumb will have you stuck at your SL because auto increases are few and far between....just my 2 cents....Smiley Happy

Actually not true. I pulled an additional $60,000 last year with softpulls on pre-existing cards. It all starts with what kind of cards you're applying for in the first place.

You have to have a pretty good idea about the banking practices behind that card and how 'softpull friendly' they are.

Don't wait to find out after you get the card just so you can come back begging later.

Regarding the purple highlighted area:  I think Chase is a different animal though.  Quick story - I have a friend that was approved for the Sapphire and the Freedom Unlimited, $16K and $5K limits respectively,  He continued to apply for other cards over a 2-3 week period, 4-6 new inquires.  Two weeks after he got the cards, they auto-increased his Freedom to $8K.  CHASE AUTO INCREASED HIM!!!  He a week or two later, Chase CLOSED BOTH ACCOUNTS...he hadn't even used the Sapphire yet!!!  The reason...Internal account review revealed too many inquires.  Chase is a different animal.

Message 22 of 27
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Jerry45 wrote:

As long as Chase does not double dip on the HP, might as well go for another card. good Luck

Unfortunately, there's no way of knowing if Chase will single or double pull you.  The pulls are on different bureaus, of course, so depending on how your inquries look across the 3B you can consider whether or not the double vs single pull would be at all meaningful.

Well Said.

Message 23 of 27
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@Journeygod wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

@Journeygod wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

With all due respect, I pulled an additional $60,000 in credit last year, all on soft pulls of pre-existing cards.

Hardpulls sit on your report for 2 years and with increases you never know what they're going to give you. Why waste a hardpull on that?

Save hardpulls for new cards. Statistically SL's are larger than CLI anyway.

Also, very well said.  The pain of an HP , should be only for new cards. 

Message 24 of 27
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Journeygod wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

@Journeygod wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Regarding the purple highlighted area:  I think Chase is a different animal though.  Quick story - I have a friend that was approved for the Sapphire and the Freedom Unlimited, $16K and $5K limits respectively,  He continued to apply for other cards over a 2-3 week period, 4-6 new inquires.  Two weeks after he got the cards, they auto-increased his Freedom to $8K.  CHASE AUTO INCREASED HIM!!!  He a week or two later, Chase CLOSED BOTH ACCOUNTS...he hadn't even used the Sapphire yet!!!  The reason...Internal account review revealed too many inquires.  Chase is a different animal.

Ouch!!!

Message 25 of 27
jawbrkr
Established Contributor

I had the CSP at 8K and wanted the CSR. I didnt have the minimum 10K CL required for the CSR. What to do? Take the HP and apply for the CSR or request a CLI, hoping to get at least 2K required to meet that minimum 10K, and then PC to the CSR. Well, I took the HP CLI and they gave me 8K. SoI got my CSR. The reason I went this route is I didnt want a new account dinged to my credit reports and I didnt want my AAOA to go down. My AAOA at the time was at about 1.5 years. Even though I forfeited the sign up bonus, I was ok with that. Everyone's situation is different. To some a HP for a CLI is better than applying outright.

|| TU08: 811 || EQ08: 811 || EX08: 802 ||

Message 26 of 27
Jerry45
Valued Contributor

@jawbrkr wrote:

I had the CSP at 8K and wanted the CSR. I didnt have the minimum 10K CL required for the CSR. What to do? Take the HP and apply for the CSR or request a CLI, hoping to get at least 2K required to meet that minimum 10K, and then PC to the CSR. Well, I took the HP CLI and they gave me 8K. SoI got my CSR. The reason I went this route is I didnt want a new account dinged to my credit reports and I didnt want my AAOA to go down. My AAOA at the time was at about 1.5 years. Even though I forfeited the sign up bonus, I was ok with that. Everyone's situation is different. To some a HP for a CLI is better than applying outright.

Well Said Jaw.

Message 27 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.