cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the Amex True Earnings the card for me?

tag

Is the Amex True Earnings the card for me?

Hey guys, I was looking to add a card to my wallet and have zeroed in on the Amex True Earnings Costco card. I recently got a Costco membership and my primary purchase is going to be gasoline. I've been overpaying for gas since I started driving 10 years ago and would really like to start this year off right. Costco's gas prices are about $0.10-0.30/gallon cheaper than where I'm currently shopping at so I figured the savings plus the cash back is a no brainer.

My other main card is the Chase Freedom which I use everyday. I'm single so most of my purchases are either gas, food (restaurants, some groceries), and electronics. I also plan on applying for the Discover IT next quarter.

Anything else I'm missing? I'm not really interested in cards with annual fees. I know the Sallie Mae gets talked about here a lot but it wouldn't help me with my Costco gas purchases (main expense).

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is the Amex True Earnings the card for me?

Perhaps, just know that it only pays out yearly.
Message 2 of 4

I saw that and was a little disappointed but at the end of the day, money is money and I can wait for the once a year rewards check.
Message 3 of 4
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

Yes, if you don't mind the rewards being paid only annually, the TE is a very good card for a Costco member, especially one who buys a lot of gas at Costco (or anywhere else for that matter).

You might consider the Barclays Sallie Mae Mastercard for non-Costco gas purchases (5% on gas, 5% on groceries to a cap of $250 per month, 5% at bookstores and Amazon to a cap of $750 per month). But of course that's useless at Costco.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.