cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got a Discover Secured Card Should I Also Apply for their student card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got a Discover Secured Card Should I Also Apply for their student card?

My Fiancé currently has 2 cards with Chase so I know it's possible to have multiple credit cards with the same bank.

I just got a Discover Secured Card and looking at CreditKarma it says I have a "good" chance of approval for their student card. I want to start establishing good credit really quickly (within the next 12 months) my CS is about 620. I was wondering do you think I should apply for the student card too while I have the secured card or should I just search for another bank for another secured card?

(Planning on opening 3 cards in total (likely will all be secured due to my low CS with $400CL or less along with one secured PL).
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Just got a Discover Secured Card Should I Also Apply for their student card?

I would try for NFCU.... They have really LOOSE underwritting criteria. 

@Anonymous wrote:
My Fiancé currently has 2 cards with Chase so I know it's possible to have multiple credit cards with the same bank.

I just got a Discover Secured Card and looking at CreditKarma it says I have a "good" chance of approval for their student card. I want to start establishing good credit really quickly (within the next 12 months) my CS is about 620. I was wondering do you think I should apply for the student card too while I have the secured card or should I just search for another bank for another secured card?

(Planning on opening 3 cards in total (likely will all be secured due to my low CS with $400CL or less along with one secured PL).

Message 2 of 13
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Just got a Discover Secured Card Should I Also Apply for their student card?

You probably should have tried for the student card before the secured card, in that case I would say take a pass and look elsewhere, I don't think they'd approve a second card at this point especially when your current one is secured.
Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info! Do they convert to unsecured ever or does it always stay secured?
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I was thinking the same haha they'd probably approve me for a secured even though I have a student card with them but not the other way around. I'll keep looking. I've considered NFCU but they have no branches near me so I couldn't actually go in and deal with things if I need to which is a downside but I guess the same goes for Discover.
Message 5 of 13
creditguy
Valued Contributor

Yes they do convert. The minimum is 12 months but it has mixed results as to when it will, but ultimately it will convert.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just checked and NFCU requires a $500 deposit :/ I was hoping for $250 max because I already put down $400 for my Discover card and I'm looking for a 2nd and 3rd card.
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you think I'd qualify for a non secured with them with 620 or strictly secured?
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Do you think I'd qualify for a non secured with them with 620 or strictly secured?

My mother applied for unsecured nRewards card with a 571 w/ 5 derogs 2 of which haven't been paid.... Also depends on your AAOA and UTL.. if they both look good I think your chances for approval are very good!

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

AAOA 5 years 4 months
UTL 0/$400
My FICO hasn't updated my UTL yet I just got approved and they're sending out my $400 card this week so not sure if it's that or still 0/0. On my FICO it shows N/A under Credit Utilization because I didn't have any open cards when it updated last.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.