cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kohl's card - how soon after discharge can we get one?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kohl's card - how soon after discharge can we get one?

Both my wife and I had Kohl's cards prior to our BK7. Neither had balances at the time we filed, so they were not burned in the BK, however, they closed both of our accounts once they learned of our filing. Anyone have any idea how soon after discharge we might be able to get approved for a new account?  The reason we would like one is we buy all of our clothes there and often times the discounts are for Kohl's cardholders only. Despite our recent BK, we have always PIF and never paid a cent of interest.

Also, would it make any difference applying in store versus online? Same chances?

Thanks in advance for any comments/experiences.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

Re: Kohl's card - how soon after discharge can we get one?

@Anonymous wrote:

Both my wife and I had Kohl's cards prior to our BK7. Neither had balances at the time we filed, so they were not burned in the BK, however, they closed both of our accounts once they learned of our filing. Anyone have any idea how soon after discharge we might be able to get approved for a new account?  The reason we would like one is we buy all of our clothes there and often times the discounts are for Kohl's cardholders only. Despite our recent BK, we have always PIF and never paid a cent of interest.

Also, would it make any difference applying in store versus online? Same chances?

Thanks in advance for any comments/experiences.

Kohls is backed by Cap1 so I have a feeling they are pretty relaxed. Try to do a prequal on the Cap1 site and see if anything comes up. That may be a good indication that they would most likely approve you for something. 

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

My wife shows up as prequalified for both the Platinum and QS1. I show no prequals. Makes sense as I burned them in the BK.

We intend to apply for the Platinum/QS1 right after the discharge.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I work at Kohl's so I can speak with confidence on this topic.  If you had a balance at the time of your BK, the balance will need to be completely paid off before you can be considered for a card again.  If you apply without paying that balance off, you will more than likely get an "existing account" letter.  You can call all you like, but there is, unfortunately, nothing any phone rep can do to avoid this.

If you don't have a balance or have paid it off, you can apply as soon as you feel comfortable.  It will be completely based on your credit file as it stands at that point.

Hope this helps!  Feel free to shoot back any other questions on this.  Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I burned Kohls for about $300. I was discharged 8/11/15 and was approved last week for $350. They seem to be very forgiving.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats Flowergirl! You're definitely one of the few lucky ones!
I work very close with the bankruptcy department so I am still vey confident in my advice. That being said, there have been times when small balances can be cleared out by fee removal. In that case, the applicant would be assessed normally. Plus, to every rule set in stone, there are always cracks and applications which fall through them.
I'm happy you didn't have a hard time and I wish we did have a more forgiving card for everyone trying to recover after bankruptcy. Unfortunately we get countless calls every day from people who aren't able to move forward until their old account is resolved to a zero balance.
Hopefully a policy change is on the horizon!
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the very helpful response. When we filed, both of our Kohl's acounts had 0 balances. I guess they were just automatically closed because we filed.

Hopefully we are lucky enough to get at least one of us approved right after discharge.

Message 7 of 10
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Old post I know, but I saw it and figured I'd add a response.
I also included kohls credit card in ch7, filed April 18 and just got discharged July 27. Applied online yesterday because I also use the cardholder discounts and it's back to school clothes shopping time for my daughter. Instant approval for $300 limit.
I don't think they're actually backed by capital one, maybe just account servicing because I'm still blacklisted by capital one. Applied for the platinum yesterday after johns approval, just to see. Still instant decline, no credit pull.
Im now about 3 weeks post discharge and I've got three new lines to rebuild with. Im happy with that and will garden for the next six months or so.
Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 8 of 10
skylarroxxs

I included Kohls in my bk, I burned them by about $1000. My Bk was discharged March 21st and May 19 I was approved for $300.
Message 9 of 10
krielly
Established Contributor

This brought back an amusing memory Smiley Happy When we filed our 13 in 2005 (discharged in 2010) we included Kohl's with a whopping balance of $11. Smiley Happy

I always missed the discounts you can get with the card. I got one a few months ago with no issues. LOL.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. But you can dip your finger in the bowl and lick the icing!
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.