Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kohls 30 Day Message - Help

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kohls 30 Day Message - Help

Hi

So I wanted to buy some clothes for my daughter from Kohls and get the discount for using their card. I didn't like the idea of a store card but thought I would use it enough to take advantage of the regular discounts. I didn't care about a $300 SL or whatever it was going to be.

I received a 30 day message that said I recently applied for a Kohls charge account and that I would be receiving information on that within 30 days. So far no HP alerts.

I'm not sure what is going on as I have NOT applied for Kohls recently. I did recently get approved for the Cap1 Quicksilver with $500 SL that I've been pushing my weekly expenses through and I have made 3 weekly payments already every 5-7 days. I haven't gotten to the first statement period yet. I also have the Cap1 Plat card since Feb 2016.

I also used to have a Kohls account years ago (about 10).That account is from a different address and had been settled long ago and is not on my credit reports because it came off after 7 years. Maybe that's it?

I know Kohls is Cap1 do you think the reason is the recent Quicksilver card? I know they are seperate divisions so I'm pretty confused. I am going to call them but wanted to see what everyone thinks here?

Fico 8 Scores (updated today 4/3/17)
EX 655 - TU 634 - EQ 604

No collections, no judgments, 1 late pay on a closed account 1.8 years ago.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Kohls 30 Day Message - Help

If you have no collections or public records then there's no reason your scores should be in the lower end of 600's. So that doesn't make sense.

As far as Kohl's, not a Capital One card has no bearing on if Kohl's will issue you a card they're separate. I got a Capital One card and a Kohl's Charge 2 weeks apart last year.

You said, "had been settled long ago", meaning the account went into collections and you paid it off?

If so or if the card was closed by them for poor account management then that's your reasoning. A lot of creditors hold grudges I've seen people with a bad account from the 90's try to reapply with scores in the high 700's be denied because of this issue.
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. I unfortunately got hit by the recession in 2008 and had to let all my cards fall (no bk though). I took a major hit with scores in the 480's and tons of collections. In 2016 I started rebuilding and was able to get Cap1 Plat (unsecured) in Feb 2016. I also got a few store cards late 2016 (via SCT) to increase my accounts and score. It helped and took me to 590's.

In 2016 I disputed all the collections (most were either reported wrong or after 7yrs). They all were removed 1 by 1. Starting 2017 my scores broke 600's and current Fico 8 shows no collections. I bought a new car through Cap1 auto financing, then got the Cap1 Quicksilver card in March and Walmart card. My scores are now where they are.

I know my AAoA is low and hurting my scores. My utilization is 30% right now because I'm 0% financing a mattress on one of the store cards. My payments show 100% on Fico 8. I do have 1 late pay haunting me from 1.8yrs ago from my old auto loan (hopefully stops hurting me soon).
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry, I forgot to mention Kohls card. Yes, it was part of the 2008 cards they closed it. It's not on my credit report. I am more confused by the "you recently applied" message. If they consider 2006 or so recent that's crazy!
Message 4 of 8
medicgrrl
Valued Contributor

Is there an application status line you can call?

EQ 778 EXP 782 TU 729
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

They just have generic messages they give out they're probably not used to people who burned them so to speak reapplying.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I only see their customer service line for the card. I'm going to call them to find out if I can get more info. I was just suprised to see "you recently applied" and we will let you know within 30 days of that decision. Still no HP alerts from Total Credit Check or CK. If this is because of the 2008 burn for $400 I am just shocked at the wording "recently"! They are no longer on my reports so if that's the case they can keep their 25% off I guess lol geez
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing to note as far as burning lenders and them not expecting ppl to reapply in the future. Kohls is backed by Cap1 and I also burned not only Kohls in 2008 but a Cap1 M/C too for much more than $400. I now have Platinum (Feb 2016) & Quicksilver (March 2017), as well as a new car in the driveway from Cap1 Auto Finance from Dec 2016. So they are definitely forgiving from 8+ yrs ago.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.