Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a good rebuilder card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for a good rebuilder card

Helping my aunt find a good visa/MC to help with her rebuild. She currently has a cap one Plat with 300 limit on credit steps and a Jc Penney card with a 200 dollar limit. Was looking for that 3rd card. Ex is 590, tu 620 and eq 620. 3 collection accounts from 2012 and 5 co accounts from 2012. She doesn't have the money to pay them off so we're just trying to establish new health credit in its place until the age off. Any advice is appreciated!  

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for a good rebuilder card

Discover secured would be my recommendation. Could graduate in 7 months.

You could take her through the NFCU process as well, though she might need a little more time to qualify.

Capital One is great. I'd avoid the other bad credit unsecured cards like Credit One.

Comenity SCT would be fine for 1 card. Make it one she'd really use like Ann Taylor or Loft (both easy SCT cards to get). Don't get more than one and only if she's really interested in that store.

She has 2. All she needs is 3 or 4 total. Have her use and pay on those for a little while.

Alliant share secured loan if she doesn't have an installment loan.

With all that, no additional collections, and no late payments, she'll be un her way to having acceptable credit in no time. The key is in not overdoing it early on.

Message 2 of 8
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

Barclays Rewards MC would have been a good one, but it's no longer being offered. 

I think Barclays NFL card may have similar underwriting criteria. 

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 3 of 8
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Another great choice is a BofA secured card
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 8
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

I think also barclays cash forward (replaced the rewards MC)
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like what Federalist suggested. Discover secured, NFCU (or other local credit union she could join) and shared secured loan if she doesn't have this category covered

Message 6 of 8
grillandwinemaster
Valued Contributor

A secured card is an excellent way to go.  Especially the Discover secured.

However, If they don't have the money to pay back some of the charge-offs, 

I would assume they wouldn't have the money to open a secured card.  Thus, 

a Barclay would be a good way to go.  Maybe use the money they would have

used to do a secured card to pay some of the "old stuff?"

Best Credit wishes to you!

Current Scores 3/2016 Equifax 676 Transunion 697 Experian 648 Goal Scores: 720's accross the board. Gardening Goal: 3/2017
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you guys so much!! I'm going to look into Barclays and see if she may qualify. Maybe I can go onto Discover and pull a free fico and see exactly where she's at. Thanks again!! 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.