Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a prestigious credit card

tag
mountainmom
Frequent Contributor

Re: Looking for a prestigious credit card

It was interesting i was recently on a biz trip and saw a coworker pay with a slate. I thought "needed a balance transfer. Hmm didn't use a rewards card" what had this board done to me? Lol

Eq 702 TU 707 Exp 718
Message 41 of 95
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@watch44 wrote:

@juggalo9er wrote:

While this may be true, it begs the question was the number given before or after the tip portion of the bill was filled out? On another though, if anyone believes that a waitress, gas station attendant, or anyone besides absolute higher end restaurants and retail establishments cares what kind of card they are to swipe....you are SADLY MISTAKEN. The clerk making minimum wage really does not care about your financial stability because they are doing what they can to simply survive.

Excellent point. That's why I like to cover all my bases and stuff a sock down my jockeys after checking my wallet and keys. Something's bound to work on those hard to impress gas attendants. 

I truly believe some time spent in Flint, Detroit, or Saginaw for that matter would truly do you some good...maybe then you would truly want to check for your keys and wallet when leaving the station! Pardon me, i forgot that the thread was to install the delusion into someone that a card makes them better than another in some mindless manner.

Message 42 of 95
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@Bman70 wrote:

My Capital One image card is pretty prestigious.. there's only one ever made Smiley Happy 

I like that... was about to think what is "prestigious" ...could not answer that question for myself but that personalized card of yours could  indeed be it  with the personal own design Smiley Happy

Message 43 of 95
Gollum
Established Contributor

Depends on what you mean by "prestigious."

My Simmons First Visa Platinum card makes me feel good because I finally had good enough credit to get it.

Nobody notices it at the cash register.

Credit Scores: (FICO 8) 846 Experian April 2024, 844 TransUnion April 2024 | (FICO 9) 849 Equifax April 2024
Credit Cards (newest to oldest): NFCU VISA Platinum $25,000 | BECU Cash Back VISA $10,000 | American Express BCE $9000 | Simmons Bank VISA $7500 | Capital One Quicksilver VISA Platinum (PC/upgrade from No Hassle Miles Rewards VISA Platinum) $500
Message 44 of 95
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

Honestly does anybody taking your card really "care"?  I've had a few compliments on my copper Discover card, and while its not prestigious I wasn't trying to impress the 16 year old cashier...instead I was just buying groceries. I always hate asking if a resturant takes Discover because I dont want to sound like I'm name dropping.  A friend of mine has a CSP and he gets compliments on the weight of it, then he walks out to his 99 Honda Civic and his full time job as a grocery store warehouse stocker...prestigious?  Not so much.  But it makes him feel special I guess so thats good.

Message 45 of 95
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

Honestly does anybody taking your card really "care"?  I've had a few compliments on my copper Discover card, and while its not prestigious I wasn't trying to impress the 16 year old cashier...instead I was just buying groceries. I always hate asking if a resturant takes Discover because I dont want to sound like I'm name dropping.  A friend of mine has a CSP and he gets compliments on the weight of it, then he walks out to his 99 Honda Civic and his full time job as a grocery store warehouse stocker...prestigious?  Not so much.  But it makes him feel special I guess so thats good.

I agree with the sentiments, but I don't think you need to worry about anyone thinking you are name-dropping with Discover.  In the wider world, while there may or may not be "prestigious" cards, Discover certainly isn't one!

But my mantra is that anyone who can impressed by merely your possession of a certain card, is probably not worth impressing.

Message 46 of 95
PlasticOrPlastic
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

I agree with the sentiments, but I don't think you need to worry about anyone thinking you are name-dropping with Discover.  In the wider world, while there may or may not be "prestigious" cards, Discover certainly isn't one!

But my mantra is that anyone who can impressed by merely your possession of a certain card, is probably not worth impressing.

I only ask because most of the places we dine don't take Discover or AMEX, I don't care what the waiter thinks of my payment type, Discover is prestigious to me because I've never had one and after building my credit its been nice to get rewards and the customer service Discover provides (not to mention a chance after BK).  I agree with someone being impressed by a card, however "impressed" can mean different things to different people. 

The people who show interest in my copper Discover, simply like the shiney copper card with the orange core...they aren't thinking "man this guy is a high roller, I bet this card has no limit" its just the physical look of the card that "impresses" them.  No different then when I had my new puppy plastered on my Cap1 platinum card with a $500 limit, I got more oohs and awwws than I would have with a CSP lol. 

Message 47 of 95
awp317
Frequent Contributor

@PlasticOrPlastic wrote:

LOL, my dad used to joke that discover card was founded so people on welfare could have credit too. He would be shocked to know I actually have one. 

Amex Platinum NPSL I Chase Sapphire Reserve 78K I Chase Freedom U 55k I JP Morgan Ritz 50k I B OF A Cash Rewards 50k I Barclay Black Luxury 43,750 I Capital One QuickSilver 40K I Amex BCP 34k I Amex Optima Platinum 30k I Barclays Arrival+ World E 29k I Merril+ 27,800 I Lowes 25k I Pen Fed PR Visa Sig 20K I Home Depot 17k I NFCU Cash Rewards 8k

Amex Biz Platinum NPSL I Lowes Business 42k I Amex Simply Cash + $22,500 I Chase Ink 21K I B of A World Points $20,500 I B of A Bus MasterCard 16k I Amex SPG 3K.
Message 48 of 95
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think my Amex Platinum is pretty darn prestigious. Check my ready for zero Smiley Happy. When I call Amex they treat me like a king. Concierge will get you a hotel or drugs and hookers (just kidding). Smiley Happy

Ready for Zero Snapshot

Message 49 of 95
juggar
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think my Amex Platinum is pretty darn prestigious. Check my ready for zero Smiley Happy. When I call Amex they treat me like a king. Concierge will get you a hotel or drugs and hookers (just kidding). Smiley Happy

Ready for Zero Snapshot

Great job on that thread necro.... lol 

Amex Green, Chase Freedom(7.5K), Nationwide Visa Signature(6K), Chase Sapphire Preferred(6k), Cap One VentureOne visa signature (5K) BoA Cash Rewards siggy (5K), BoA travel rewards visa siggy(5K) PayPal Extras Mastercard(5K), Capital One QuickSilver(2.25K) Newegg Preferred Account(2K), Citi Forward(3.4K), Dell Account(2K) Discover IT(2.4K), Chase Slate (1.5K) Citi Diamond Preferred ($800), BestBuy Mastercard ($1500),Bill-Me-Later(1.2K), ,Barclay Mastercard(2K). TigerDirect TigerPay(3.15K), Wal-mart credit card(3.9K), Amazon store card (2K)

equifax - 720, TU - 747, Exp - 734 - report date 11/24/2014
15+ inqs...
Message 50 of 95
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.