Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for my next card...HELP!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for my next card...HELP!

Okay so I'm itching to get myself another card. I'm not sure what I should look for or what cards I even "qualify" for. I currently use my Cap1 Quicksilver for everyday purchases for the 1.5% cashback and then my AMEX BCE for gas/groceries for the 2% cash back. Other than that I use my store cards whenever I shop at their stores but that's about it. I don't have any outstanding balances either. I've always wanted the CSP card but I tried to get it in the past and got denied so I don't really know if I want to give that another shot. Other than that I was thinking about either the Citi Double Cash or maybe AMEX PRG. I know I don't NEED another card but I want to add another nice card to my wallet. Possibly a good travel rewards card since I dont have one? idk...Suggestions?

Discover It - $7,500 opened 6/13

Cap1 Quicksilver - $6,500 opened 3/14

Chase Freedom - $2,400 opened 10/14

AMEX BCE - $24,500 opened 1/15

Dick's - $7,500 opened 11/15

Victoria's Secret - $1,550 opened 5/16

JC Penny - $4,700 opened 7/16

AAoA - 2y 3m

Inquiries - TU 2 / EQ 0

Derogs - 0

Amex FICO Score - 757

Discover FICO Score - 764

CK Credit Score (lol) - 802

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Looking for my next card...HELP!

With your scores and profile youd probably be approved gor whatever you apply for buy why apply if you dont need it lol. I know, lol, its nice to treat oneself every now and then. Maybe a Boa to diversify your profile or if you are feeling frisky, join Penfed and get a Power CashSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 9
slvrhwk
Regular Contributor

While the QS is a great card, you can get Citi Double Cash to get 2% cash back on everything.

*Amex BCE grocery cash back is 3%, not 2%.

Current Score TU: 787, EX: N/A, EQ: N/A
Message 3 of 9
JGGM
Frequent Contributor

Depends on what your needs are, but I actually agree with a previous poster, PenFed Power Cash Rewards could be a good option, and they'd probably give you a nice SL. Citi Double Cash also comes to mind. 

Current Score 7-1-21: TU: 812 EX: 805 EQ: 839
Goal Score:ACHIEVED - 800 Across the Board
In My Wallet: Cap1 QS - PenFed Power Cash Rewards - PenFed Promise - AmEx Delta Platinum - DISCO - NFCU Cash Rewards - Chase Sapphire Preferred

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm looking into the PenFed and it looks pretty nice. I think I might go with that one expecially if that's the better bet for a higher SL.

Message 5 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay so I'm itching to get myself another card. I'm not sure what I should look for or what cards I even "qualify" for. I currently use my Cap1 Quicksilver for everyday purchases for the 1.5% cashback and then my AMEX BCE for gas/groceries for the 2% cash back. Other than that I use my store cards whenever I shop at their stores but that's about it. I don't have any outstanding balances either. I've always wanted the CSP card but I tried to get it in the past and got denied so I don't really know if I want to give that another shot. Other than that I was thinking about either the Citi Double Cash or maybe AMEX PRG. I know I don't NEED another card but I want to add another nice card to my wallet. Possibly a good travel rewards card since I dont have one? idk...Suggestions?

AAoA - 2y 3m

Inquiries - TU 2 / EQ 0

Derogs - 0

Amex FICO Score - 757

You have four (4) good cash back cards; I can't see why you would want to add a fifth.

If you're dying to add a card, why not add something different? E.g., a low interest card (best bet: credit union non-rewards platinum cards) or a travel card (e.g. a Chase Sapphire Preferred).

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 6 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm looking into the PenFed and it looks pretty nice. I think I might go with that one expecially if that's the better bet for a higher SL.

One caveat with the PenFed Power Cash Rewards card: if you're not military, you need to maintain the checking account to get the 2%, and to maintain the checking account without paying a $10 monthly fee you need to maintain either a $500 minimum balance or $500 minimum monthly in direct deposits.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

One caveat with the PenFed Power Cash Rewards card: if you're not military, you need to maintain the checking account to get the 2%, and to maintain the checking account without paying a $10 monthly fee you need to maintain either a $500 minimum balance or $500 minimum monthly in direct deposits.

Yea I didn't realize this before my last response. Now I'm not sure if that's something that I'd want to do.....

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

AAoA - 2y 3m

Inquiries - TU 2 / EQ 0

Derogs - 0

Amex FICO Score - 757

You have four (4) good cash back cards; I can't see why you would want to add a fifth.

If you're dying to add a card, why not add something different? E.g., a low interest card (best bet: credit union non-rewards platinum cards) or a travel card (e.g. a Chase Sapphire Preferred).

I love the idea of a good travel card. Like I said in my original post I've always wanted the CSP but I got denied for it about a year ago. Is it worth reapplying for? If not then what's the next best travel card?

As far as a credit union non-rewards card I am part of Kinecta Federal Credit Union because that is where my car loan is through. They offer a rewards mastercard and a low rate mastercard. The low rate mastercard says 8.99%-18%. There is not much info on myfico about Kinecta so I'm not really sure how I feel about them. I do get a message everytime I log on saying I'm prequalified for them but again, I'm not really sure how I feel about them.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.