Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to Finance an engagement ring

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking to Finance an engagement ring

So I am looking to Finance an engagement ring. I just bought my Scores from Myfico and Fico 8 is showing EQ 697, TU 673, and EX 681. I called the jeweler and they said that they used Synchrony bank for credit and you typically need around a 700 to get approved.  My Fico 8 Bankcard score is 683, it is 689 for fico 9. If i pay off 1k in credit card debt im sure this will jump over 700

Does anybody know they use Fico 8? If i go to the older model of Fico 5 it drops to 593? from collection of $83.00 from Comcast/ERC

Also im assuming it will be a credit card since they are using My Synchrony bank? Sorry i dont know much about the credit industry... It is a small local jeweler.

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Looking to Finance an engagement ring

Synchrony uses TU FICO 8 unless it's changed recently. 

Depending on how long you plan to carry the debt and how much it is. It would be better to grab a short term 0% credit card or one with a nice sign up bonus. Your scores aren't bad by any means. 

Message 2 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Im just worried becasue i ended up getting a fleet farm credit card back in Feb of 17 and i was approved for 1700.00 instore credit only. Fleet farm uses Synchrony bank. Do you have any suggestion on where to look for one of these cards? Im looking for roughly 7k, and i plan to have paid back within a year.

Message 3 of 20
Gmood1
Super Contributor

BofA and Citi give 12 to 21 months on 0% offers. Problem is there's no guarantee on the starting limits being high enough to carry a $7k balance without hurting your utilization. 

I'd suggest finding a less expensive ring. The money can be used elsewhere for things you guys will actually need. Part of being an adult is knowing the differences between wants and needs. And deciding the best course of action accordingly. Don't put yourself in a bind over apiece of sculpted metal and a rock.

The interest rate on the jeweler store card will eat you alive if not paid off during the 0% promotion. That's how they trap you and make money.

Message 4 of 20
Berk
Established Contributor

I suggest a short term loan as well - and if you can get one for 12-24 months same as cash go for it. The reason, in my opinion, that you want it to be short term is because, if you take out a long term loan and things go South shortly after you get married, you won't want a reminder every month for 72 months!!!! 

Just kidding! Smiley Very Happy

Good luck to you.

Message 5 of 20
Gramz
Contributor

I would suggest buying something you can afford now and then upgrade later.  Like what everyone already post, it's not a smart move to get yourself put into a bind.  If she loves you enough she would understand and appreciate what you are trying to do.  There's always room to upgrade.

The next thing is to start save some money so you can put a down payment, or just save the entire $7G to go and pay it out right.  If you are already set in your mind that you want to finance this ring on a credit card then go for the 0% term for 12 - 24 but with your school not sure about the limite you will get.

Sorry to say it but  you have to decide what's going to be the best course for yourself.

Gardening ‎10-13-2017

FICO 8[10-25-2017] EX: 706, EQ: 714, TU: 719
FICO 8[1-04-2018] EX: 714, EQ: 737, TU: 721
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed, marry this one for now and upgrade later when you can afford a bigger rock.
Message 7 of 20
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

I'm not going to tell you what to buy.  If you want to splurge on something big to make a big impression when you pop the question, you're well within your right to do that, and it sounds like you've already made up your mind on it anyway.  Buying an engagement ring is not something we necessarily need to be rational about.

However, what does matter is how you're going to pay for it.  If you can handle paying down $7K in a year then you're in a good spot.  Credit cards are an option, but they can be risky since you don't know if you'll get enough credit when you apply.  Also, if something happens and you take too long to pay it, the interest will be punitive.  However, you may have the option to get a balance transfer to another 0% card if you've paid down a good bit of it and your history stays good.

You may want to look into other short term financing options just to be sure you can cover the up front.  If you have a 401(k), you can borrow from that at a pretty good rate, and there's no credit check.  That's what I did for mine.  You'd be essentially borrowing from and paying interest to yourself.  Payments are deducted automatically, so you never see the money.  It may negatively affect your fund's future in a bull market, though.

You could take advantage of the store's financing, which could be good if they offer a 0% grace period.  However, you MUST be sure you can pay it off during that time, or have a backup plan to do a balance transfer after, otherwise you'll pay dearly.  Store financing typically carries the worst interest rates on the planet.

Good luck!

Message 8 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would never think of financing an engagement ring, but I guess it could be done. How does one present the best possible loan?

"If I don't make the payments it's because we broke up. At that time you can repossess the ring. While you are at it, you can repossess her finger, hand and head if you want to."

Message 9 of 20
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Im just worried becasue i ended up getting a fleet farm credit card back in Feb of 17 and i was approved for 1700.00 instore credit only. Fleet farm uses Synchrony bank. Do you have any suggestion on where to look for one of these cards? Im looking for roughly 7k, and i plan to have paid back within a year.

Welcome to MyFico.

$7K paid off in a year is $583/month. That's a HUMONGOUS monthly payment!!!!!

So my question is a simple one -- when are you planning to get married? If it's going to be a one year engagement, I say save the $583 now and present the engagement ring fully paid off in 12 months. 

With your scores, I too doubt that you'll get a $7K credit limit and like others say, if you can't pay it off during a 0% intro period, the higher payments due to interest will be murder. IMHO, that's not the way you want to start wedded bliss.

GL to whatever route you decide to take.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.