Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to apply for credit cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking to apply for credit cards

Hello everyone! Looking for some guidance on applying for new credit cards.

my equifax score is 657 my tansunion is 707 and experienced is 716. I recently had some AU tradelines posted and my experience and transition was in the 760's but I never applied for anything. I have an old cable bill on my equifax that is very difficult to remove. I have zero revolving accounts, not even retail cards. I have a car installment the last 3 years in excellent standing. I recently applied for chase venture, Wells Fargo American Express, capital one quicksilver, cabrela's visa, and Amex PLATINUM charge card. I got declined for all except the charge card.  I went to credit one site and the preapproved me and sent me an email to proceed. What do you all suggest I do since I have no revolving? I'd like to get started with whatever I can and build my limits over time. I can also get a secured card if need be with a few thousand credit limit but which one? Thanks in advanced! 

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking to apply for credit cards

@Anonymous wrote:

my equifax score is 657 my tansunion is 707 and experienced is 716. I recently had some AU tradelines posted and my experience and transition was in the 760's but I never applied for anything. I have an old cable bill on my equifax that is very difficult to remove. I have zero revolving accounts, not even retail cards. I have a car installment the last 3 years in excellent standing. I recently applied for chase venture, Wells Fargo American Express, capital one quicksilver, cabrela's visa, and Amex PLATINUM charge card. I got declined for all except the charge card.  I went to credit one site and the preapproved me and sent me an email to proceed. What do you all suggest I do since I have no revolving? I'd like to get started with whatever I can and build my limits over time. I can also get a secured card if need be with a few thousand credit limit but which one? Thanks in advanced! 

Welcome to the forums.  BoA has a good secured card; as does Discover card.  Proceed with care with Credit One.  If you do decide to go that route, only charge something like Netflix on it to gain payment history.

Message 2 of 11
Isacking97
Regular Contributor

Try to get prequialify (try directly with Amex) see if you have any offers, if not apply for de Amex Everyday Card .

You cant try Discover if you what  cash back!!

Starting Score:EX: 713 EQ: 698
Message 3 of 11
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

OK.. First off, as far as Credit One, DONT DO IT! They are predatory! 

First Premier is as well. There are some GREAT secured cards from reputable, normal card issuers out there, such as the ones that have already been mentioned (Bank Of America, and Discover).

Your BEST bet may be to join Navy Federal - you can join without military affiliation. They will pull TU for a Credit card, and they are absolutely great to work with... !

Also, apply for a Bank Of America Cash Rewards Visa. If you are not approved, you will probably be counter offered with the 99/500 secured card. Take it. It can unsecure in under 6 months. I started with them in June 16 with that card, it unsecured in November, and my current limit is $2800. It's only a $99 deposit for a $500 limit, and when it unsecures in 6 months or so, you will get a CLI and your deposit back! GREAT card!!   Nothng better than getting your foot in the door with a GOOD bank such as either them, or Discover, or Navy, and avoiding all of the scum sucking fee guzzling predatory starter / bad credit cards out there!!

Oh, and welcome to the foruM Smiley Happy

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't forget to try reconing for the ones you've already applied for. The algorithm may not like you but the CSR on the phone may give you a shot.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@fltireguy is there any qualifications or standard on the score? My brother and wife have scores around 500 and I'd love get them started with the 99/500.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

BOA secured isn't a sure thing with low scores. None of the good banks are except possibly NFCU.

With no cards, I'd get three secured: BOA, Discover, and NFCU. BOA goes up to $4900, Disco goes as high as $2500, and not sure on NFCU. All can graduate and all can give generous bumps after graduation.

Oh, and don't do Credit One. Ever.

Here's an updated list: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Best-Secured-Cards-that-Graduate/td-p/4912438

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have to be a member or military for NFCU?

Message 8 of 11
MyLoFICO
Valued Contributor

With your Experian score I would app the Blue Cash Preferred or EverDay card from AMEX. Stay away from First premier and Credit one. 

Experian: 677 (28) | TransUnion: 697 (27) | Equifax: 684 (6)
Gardening as of: 1-23-2018
Updated 1-25-18
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I would go for the Disco secured. With your scores you should have no problem getting it and as long as you keep your util down (among other factors of course) it'll likely graduate at 7 months.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.