Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Love from Discover

tag
phonic
Contributor

Love from Discover

Thought I would share this nice story.

So I got a Discover card a little less than two years ago. I really like the perks and the service, and it is one of the three principle cards we use. Started with a $5k CL. Over the past year, I've gotten two automatic CLIs. One up to $6500 and another up to $8800. I don't think I've ever put more than $1500 on the card in one statement cycle. Trying to get all my CLs up >= $10,000, a couple months ago I requested a CLI of $2000, to bring it up to $10,800. Instant approval.

But, after reading here how they will counter if you ask for too much, I kind of smacked myself for asking for too little. Of course I couldn't ask for more right away because they still showed the prior request as 'pending'. So last night I checked again and I was eligible for another CLI request. This time I asked for a total of $15k, which I thought was reasonable and would ensure my utilization was always <10%.

So I filled in all the info and submitted........ Got a "we'll get back to you" response. Crap, I figured this was pretty much a denial, and was worried it might cause an AR since I've heard Discover is a bit stingy with CLs.

Anyway, early this morning I went and checked my account online, and low and behold my CL is now $15,000.

Woohoo! So now Discover is my second highest CL after my CSP.

Not that I need it, but it's always nice to have Smiley Very Happy.

Crossing my fingers I'll have the same luck next month when I request $25k from Amex on my BCP!

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Love from Discover

@phonic wrote:

So I got a Discover card a little less than two years ago. I really like the perks and the service, and it is one of the three principle cards we use. Started with a $5k CL. Over the past year, I've gotten two automatic CLIs. One up to $6500 and another up to $8800. I don't think I've ever put more than $1500 on the card in one statement cycle. Trying to get all my CLs up >= $10,000, a couple months ago I requested a CLI of $2000, to bring it up to $10,800. Instant approval.

But, after reading here how they will counter if you ask for too much, I kind of smacked myself for asking for too little. Of course I couldn't ask for more right away because they still showed the prior request as 'pending'. So last night I checked again and I was eligible for another CLI request. This time I asked for a total of $15k, which I thought was reasonable and would ensure my utilization was always <10%.

So I filled in all the info and submitted........ Got a "we'll get back to you" response. Crap, I figured this was pretty much a denial, and was worried it might cause an AR since I've heard Discover is a bit stingy with CLs.

Anyway, early this morning I went and checked my account online, and low and behold my CL is now $15,000.

Crossing my fingers I'll have the same luck next month when I request $25k from Amex on my BCP!

Congrats. Always nice to see big increases from Discover.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats to your success Smiley Happy

Message 3 of 12
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats nice limit 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 12
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@phonic wrote:

Congrats on your CLI's  Smiley Happy         I would say they do luv you

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 5 of 12
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Congrats! Thanks for sharing.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 12
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Simply awesome.  Congrats on your CLI!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 7 of 12
efranklin23
Valued Contributor

@phonic wrote:

Congrats on the CLIs. If you dont mind me asking but what is your income and AAoA?

AMEX BCE (30K), DISCOVER IT (29.5K), NFCU CASH REWARDS (25K), BOA TRAVEL REWARDS (15K), USAA VISA (13K), CHASE SAPPHIRE RESERVE (13K), COMMENCE MASTERCARD (7.5K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), CHASE FREEDOM (7K), TFCU CC (2.5K), TARGET REDCARD (900)
Message 8 of 12
phonic
Contributor

Thanks everyone! I was surprised after the initial pending notice.

efranklin23: Income is low six figures and AAoA is almost 4 years.

Limits: PRG=NPSL, CSP=$16k, BCP=$30k, DIT=$15k, USAA=$6k, CDW=$12.5k, IHG=$9k, BBY=$2k, BOA=$13k
Message 9 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

that's pretty amazing out of discover... our is still at just $4500, no auto CLI and no SP CLI ever available... congrats to hitting the magic formula with them!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.