Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MasterCard Black?!?!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

MasterCard Black?!?!?

So I got an invitation in the mail for THE Black Card. It doesn't say anything about me being prequalified anywhere but it says "You're invited to become a Luxury Card Member". It also has a stated APR of 15.99% foir purchases and 26.24% for cash advances. I know this card is really way above anything that I need especially since it has a $495 annual fee...but I was just cuirious if anyone could shed some light on if this is a solid offer or if it's just a generic mailer that they send out to people. It does have an application with a personal ID code on it...again I'm not sure if that actually means anything or not lol

Message 1 of 52
51 REPLIES 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MasterCard Black?!?!?

Unless it states "preapproved" it's an offer to apply.  Just in experience.

Message 2 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have one for you. Why on Earth would anyone even want this card? A Credit One card can, and most likely will, give you more value. 

Message 3 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

idk the answer either but if it were me id def feel special! lol!

Message 4 of 52
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Plus it's Barclays. And they suck
NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 5 of 52
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Having a $500 AF, i would only apply for a card if it truely benefits me. Dont let a cards look or marketing ploy fool you. Im sure for $500 they wouldnt mind inviting anyone thats willing to fork it over for the privelege of having a luxury cardSmiley Wink
Message 6 of 52
Anonymous514
Established Contributor

I do not see why this card is such a big deal...

Message 7 of 52
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

The one person I know who has this card is a crazy old eccentric who lives in a crumbling house with broken down cars in his garage. The house sits on a hill with a water view and the cars, if restored, would probably be worth more than a million dollars. He was born into European aristocracy and he's an insufferable snob, but he lost everything including his professional licence years ago due to bad behavior. He wouldn't do anything to help himself because he considered it beneath him so now he doesn't have the money for upkeep. He hangs onto this card desperately because it proves to the people at the grocery store that he's a somebody.

That's the sort of person this card is for.

Message 8 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay everyone, I guess if your a nobody but want everybody to think your a somebody then this is the card for you.

You gave a foolish analogy.

Message 9 of 52
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You gave a foolish analogy.

Assuming you're talking to me, it wasn't an analogy, it was an example. If it's a foolish one it's because the man I wrote about is a fool. What I wrote was accurate.

The card in question costs $495 a year and has benefits more crappy than some no fee cards. What value does it have other than giving the holder a sense of status?

Message 10 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.