Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MasterCard Black?!?!?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MasterCard Black?!?!?

I use different cards depending what/where I'm getting. If I'm buying Amazon of course I wouldn't use this card. It all comes down to what do I get the best rewards. 1.5% cash back is decent with no special catorgories.
Message 41 of 52
taekwon
Regular Contributor

My initial thought was the AF and the lack of benefits (compared to other cards with similar AF) makes this card financially unattractive. To justify the annual fee, I believe that a sign-up bonus should be added and the $100 travel credit should be increased. However, if you put enough spend through it you will recoup the AF.

A few months ago FNBO introduced an Amex travel card with no AF. I read several articles on this card and at the time it was considered one of the best travel cards to have in your wallet because it offered simular benefits that higher AF travel cards offer and it has no AF. IMO - If the Blackcard had a zero or reduced AF it would be a better card to have over the FNBO travel card. Remember, with the Blackcard you also get WEMC benefits too.

To say you would choose a Credit One card over the Blackcard with no AF makes zero sense to me. Why would you want a card that you're constantly paying to have when you can have a card that’s paying you when you us it?

Starting Scores: EQ 598, EX 566, TU 550, 3/31/13 ....... Goal Score: 830
Current Scores: EQ 845, EX 841, TU 836 ..................... Inq: EQ: 0, EX: 1, TU: 1

Message 42 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@taekwon wrote:

My initial thought was the AF and the lack of benefits (compared to other cards with similar AF) makes this card financially unattractive. To justify the annual fee, I believe that a sign-up bonus should be added and the $100 travel credit should be increased. However, if you put enough spend through it you will recoup the AF.

A few months ago FNBO introduced an Amex travel card with no AF. I read several articles on this card and at the time it was considered one of the best travel cards to have in your wallet because it offered simular benefits that higher AF travel cards offer and it has no AF. IMO - If the Blackcard had a zero or reduced AF it would be a better card to have over the FNBO travel card. Remember, with the Blackcard you also get WEMC benefits too.

To say you would choose a Credit One card over the Blackcard with no AF makes zero sense to me. Why would you want a card that you're constantly paying to have when you can have a card that’s paying you when you us it?

If you put enough spend on a Credit One card you'll recoup the fees as well. If you're into the the $100 travel credit, just get the new BoA Premium Rewards card. If you want the WEMC benefits and 1.5% back, just get the Capital One Quicksilver. The Black Card is a joke of a card, even without an annual fee. 

Message 43 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@taekwon wrote:

If you put enough spend on a Credit One card you'll recoup the fees as well. If you're into the the $100 travel credit, just get the new BoA Premium Rewards card. If you want the WEMC benefits and 1.5% back, just get the Capital One Quicksilver. The Black Card is a joke of a card, even without an annual fee. 

You sound like a bad comedian. Just stick with your Credit One card which is fine. I don't like Credit One but I would not call you a sucker because you enjoy the benefits and rewards your Credit One card gives you. I'm glad you have it and it obviously works for you.

Let the Black Card be. If folks like it and enjoy it as you do your Credit One card, that's all that matters.Smiley Wink

Message 44 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why is this petty argument even happening? Credit card preferences are as individual as food or job or mate preferences. What is preferential, or even perfect, for one person may be a lousy choice for another. And vice versa.

Why anyone would degrade and insult someone else because of their choice of credit card is absolutely beyond my comprehension. This whole credit card elitism is really pathetic. 

Message 45 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enough with the back and forth.  If someone wants to have the Black card or any card for that matter, it's their choice and we're not getting to have posters denigrate those choices.  It's one thing to suggest alternatives, it's another thing to make these suggestions in the form of personal attacks.  So it stops now. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Message 46 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somebody I work with has the Black Card. The carbon fiber feels nice and all, but I think everybody here would say $500 AF is better spent on an Amex Platinum or a CSR.

As for me, I'm thrilled with the gold card... My Discover gold card that is! Smiley LOL

Message 47 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a Black Mastercard issued by Barclyscard.  It's my Ameriprice WEMC but it is black..and the APR is 9-10% lower than the Black MC.  I'll keep what I have.

Message 48 of 52
lexus829
Contributor

I've had both cards before ... AMEX PLAT and VISA BLack.... weird cause i still get gifts from Visa black now that they are MC..lol gifts are great rayban's, Cross pen and other goodies. I dont see much difference from AMEX aside from the interest?both have $495 annual fee.. they both get Airport Lounge access, both got theyre own concierge, blacked out rooms etc... black have nicer card its metal....not sure why people are knocking the black if they never had it..lol
11/2016 - EQ(575)/TU(550)/EX(565) Current - EQ(675)/TU(680)/EX(678) Goal – 700

Message 49 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had both cards in 2016. I closed Amex Platinum within the first 30 days. I realize Amex makes receiving rewards little harder. Name your airline, try to get gift cards for travel credit because you can't purchase flight. Travel card Not accepted everywhere. I had a 450 AF with all the 550 benefits. I don't use uber. Open 1 month before the AF increase. The black card so far waived my AF twice. I saved about 20 per day with enterprise car rental. Black Card has primary insurance in addition to the discount rent price. WEMC hotels upgrades and discount work out to be the same as platinum. Without the marketing elite status. I like knowing my credit limits and not getting embarrassing declines. I don't worry about financial reviews either. The airport lounge unlimited guest is worth 400 alone. Not many cards has WEMC for free. Travel Insurance is also better. Bag and trip delay. I often move around in winter months. My Citi Double Cash is a WEMC. My Chase Sapphire Resever seems to be my best travel card but the insurance take longer to kick in. It not the best for everyday spending international. My capital one quick silver limit is very low. I might pay my first year annual fee July 2018. I think all these travel credit cards work about the same. If you enjoy paying direct airlines flight the platinum is for you.
Message 50 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.