Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MasterCard Black?!?!?

tag
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: MasterCard Black?!?!?

the Black Card is pretty much just a metal $20-25K SL WEMC bundled with a Priority Pass Select membership that has a $495 AF and some non-WEMC perks like an airline credit and Global Entry reimbursement.

I could see someone taking a close look if at lol/24 or otherwise can't/won't get a different Visa Infinite card or an Amex Platinum.  If all one really wanted was a black credit card I myself would suggest looking into a Marriott Rewards or US Alliance Signature card.

To answer the OPs original question, if there is no opt-out language in the mailer consider it a targeted offer to apply and not a firm offer of credit.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 21 of 52
Manonfire
Regular Contributor

I kinda wanna meet this guy.

@Gunnar419 wrote:

The one person I know who has this card is a crazy old eccentric who lives in a crumbling house with broken down cars in his garage. The house sits on a hill with a water view and the cars, if restored, would probably be worth more than a million dollars. He was born into European aristocracy and he's an insufferable snob, but he lost everything including his professional licence years ago due to bad behavior. He wouldn't do anything to help himself because he considered it beneath him so now he doesn't have the money for upkeep. He hangs onto this card desperately because it proves to the people at the grocery store that he's a somebody.

That's the sort of person this card is for.

Message 22 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Gunnar419 wrote:

The one person I know who has this card is a crazy old eccentric who lives in a crumbling house with broken down cars in his garage. The house sits on a hill with a water view and the cars, if restored, would probably be worth more than a million dollars. He was born into European aristocracy and he's an insufferable snob, but he lost everything including his professional licence years ago due to bad behavior. He wouldn't do anything to help himself because he considered it beneath him so now he doesn't have the money for upkeep. He hangs onto this card desperately because it proves to the people at the grocery store that he's a somebody.

That's the sort of person this card is for.

Moral of the story is:

a fool and his money are soon parted. But this? O, I shall give you my Black Card when you pry it from my cold, dead hands   Smiley Mad

Message 23 of 52
kugel
Valued Contributor

If u do go for it they will shot your account off if u will apply for another card card from a diff bank same time period and the annual fee they charged u won't be refunded
Message 24 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

You get priority pass, global reentry reimbursement, 100 dollar a year travel credit, 2 percent on everything if use it towards airfare.  I wouldn't get it but I wouldn't pay the fee on an Amex Platinum either.  They seem pretty comparable in value. 

Message 25 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are some big differences. Credit one has all crazy fees, Annaul Fre, Credit Limit Increase Fee, Payment over the phone fee and a application fee. Also, charge you a crazy interest rate) from what I read online) does Credit One even give any rewards?

I have the black card, I have it for benefits, blackcard gives you 1.5% cash back point conversion. It has a concierge service. It also has other benefits. Also, I have gotten he main annual fee waived because of my yearly spend. (They would not wave the additional card holder I got for my brother) they also give you double point credit when exchanged for miles. It also gives you $100 airline credit along with $100 credit for global entry.

Does Credit one offer any of these? I have a feeling that you're bashing it because you applied and got denied? Why else would you try to claim that it's equal to credit one.

The card has its benefits and its disadvantages. Just like every other card product. If you have enough yearly spend, you can have it for no annual fee. I've gotten it waived 2 years in a row.
Message 26 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

The crazy old man must still have decent credit and a good income or he wouldn't of been approved for this card. Some people don't spend and let their property fall into dis repair. I actually know someone with 100's of millions and their house looks like it should be torn down and they drive a 15 year old car. You would never know he has that money if you didn't see his name on so many big businesses he owns, hospitals or schools.
Message 27 of 52
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

IMO the "Black card" and its new siblings "gold" and Titanium, are image over substance especially with the AF charged. Understand that I am NOT a fan of cards with AF's, there are too many useful cards out there that don't change an AF. Frankly, I doubt 10% of the AmEx Platinum cardholders manage to get their AF back in actual benefits each year -  at one time the AmEx Platinum was invite only as an upgrade to the Gold Card (AF $300) I used to carry two of them (Regular and Optima) when I traveled a lot - that was before almost anyone could qualify if they paid the AF.

All you have to do is look at the marketing for this card "Luxury Card" ... heavy metal...- seriously?  

For those that enjoy this card...more power to you, it's not for me. 

Edit - Add: for those that want a "metal card" that's almost black there is always the NO AF, Chase Amazon Prime Visa Signature

Message 28 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't payed 1 cent for my black card. So, to me the benefits are worth the price. Free!!
Message 29 of 52
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
There are some big differences. Credit one has all crazy fees, Annaul Fre, Credit Limit Increase Fee, Payment over the phone fee and a application fee. Also, charge you a crazy interest rate) from what I read online) does Credit One even give any rewards?

I have the black card, I have it for benefits, blackcard gives you 1.5% cash back point conversion. It has a concierge service. It also has other benefits. Also, I have gotten he main annual fee waived because of my yearly spend. (They would not wave the additional card holder I got for my brother) they also give you double point credit when exchanged for miles. It also gives you $100 airline credit along with $100 credit for global entry.

Does Credit one offer any of these? I have a feeling that you're bashing it because you applied and got denied? Why else would you try to claim that it's equal to credit one.

The card has its benefits and its disadvantages. Just like every other card product. If you have enough yearly spend, you can have it for no annual fee. I've gotten it waived 2 years in a row.

+1 lol!!! I bet you are right. They applied and were denied.

Lol!!

Message 30 of 52
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.