Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Capital Once Venture CLI denial experience

tag
nmac
Regular Contributor

My Capital Once Venture CLI denial experience

A little more than 6 statements ago I open a Capital One Venture account and received the highest credit line any bank has ever given me. At the time the highest limit on my credit report was 3.5K and Capital One give me 10K. I was quite pleased by this especially since my income is only 35K.

Now that 6 statements have cut I decided to see if I could push my credit line any higher. In short no I could not.

In the rejection letter Capital one used a score generated from an Equifax soft pull from the end of December.  They said my EQ fico was 704 (even though DCU had me at 726 in December) and that this was too low to get more credit at this time. I had been push 1-3K a month through the card and have always paid in full.

I don’t blame then for not increasing my already generous credit line but I thought there was a chance since they have been mailing me 2 preapprovals a week for the GM card. I love that capital one CLI requests are soft pulls.

It should also be noted that I also have a quick silver card from capital one making my total exposure with them 12K.

I’m only posting this because I enjoy reading other people’s CLI experiences because it helps me make better decisions in my own credit portfolio. I guess the takeaway is don’t expect a CLI on a generous venture limit particularly when you have been aggressively courting new account bonuses. Smiley Happy

Quick Silver 2k - Discover 4.3K - Chase Freedom 7.6K - Venture 13K
Citi Double Cash 3.5K - Amex SPG 5K - CSP 5K - Arrival+ 3K
SW Premiere 5K - Citi TY Premiere 3.7K - FNBO Sun Country 3.6K
BOA Cash Rewards 5K - DCU Platinum 10K - Spirit 5K
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
racer-x
Valued Contributor

Re: My Capital Once Venture CLI denial experience

They are probably seeing that you have $50k in unsecured available credit with an income of $35k.  You may very well be maxed out.

That's just an observation that may or not have merit. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wait a few days and hit the button again. Many, many recent reports of people getting denials and then getting a CLI a few days, (in some cases, the same day as the denial), later.

Message 3 of 11
nmac
Regular Contributor

@racer-x wrote:

They are probably seeing that you have $50k in unsecured available credit with an income of $35k.  You may very well be maxed out.

That's just an observation that may or not have merit. 

This is certainly a possibility. I plan on closing my citi TYP, amex EDP and most likely south west premier in the next few months.

Quick Silver 2k - Discover 4.3K - Chase Freedom 7.6K - Venture 13K
Citi Double Cash 3.5K - Amex SPG 5K - CSP 5K - Arrival+ 3K
SW Premiere 5K - Citi TY Premiere 3.7K - FNBO Sun Country 3.6K
BOA Cash Rewards 5K - DCU Platinum 10K - Spirit 5K
Message 4 of 11
elim
Senior Contributor

thanks for the post.

Our profiles are very smilar as i have a 10k venture and a 4k QS, an income of 42k and 50k total CL's. I'll just let it ride and work on the QS and maybe roll them into 1 card.

great data point, thanks again.

Message 5 of 11
racer-x
Valued Contributor

nmac wrote:  This is certainly a possibility. I plan on closing my citi TYP, amex EDP and most likely south west premier in the next few months.

I was pushing $175k in CL's a month ago with $100k income.

I ran up some debit at the end of last year and carried balances on 4 cards for 3 months that previously were PIF'd all the time.

I got CLD'd about $32k....Discover, Chase, USuck Bank.  Probably not a bad thing in the long run.  Who in the world needs that much credit.  Certainly not me.

Message 6 of 11
TruBlu
Contributor

Great data point!

Although I'm sure you are pretty happy with the 10K line, pushing your overall credit over your income. Unless you've reached your internal limit, I'm pretty sure the venture will grow with you with heavy use! 

Message 7 of 11
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@elim wrote:

thanks for the post.

Our profiles are very smilar as i have a 10k venture and a 4k QS, an income of 42k and 50k total CL's. I'll just let it ride and work on the QS and maybe roll them into 1 card.

@elim wrote:

thanks for the post.

Capital One won't transfer Credit Limits to other cards.  I have tried.  I even asked the EO to do it. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 8 of 11
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@nmac wrote:

A little more than 6 statements ago I open a Capital One Venture account and received the highest credit line any bank has ever given me. At the time the highest limit on my credit report was 3.5K and Capital One give me 10K. I was quite pleased by this especially since my income is only 35K.

Now that 6 statements have cut I decided to see if I could push my credit line any higher. In short no I could not.

In the rejection letter Capital one used a score generated from an Equifax soft pull from the end of December.  They said my EQ fico was 704 (even though DCU had me at 726 in December) and that this was too low to get more credit at this time. I had been push 1-3K a month through the card and have always paid in full.

I don’t blame then for not increasing my already generous credit line but I thought there was a chance since they have been mailing me 2 preapprovals a week for the GM card. I love that capital one CLI requests are soft pulls.

It should also be noted that I also have a quick silver card from capital one making my total exposure with them 12K.

I’m only posting this because I enjoy reading other people’s CLI experiences because it helps me make better decisions in my own credit portfolio. I guess the takeaway is don’t expect a CLI on a generous venture limit particularly when you have been aggressively courting new account bonuses. Smiley Happy

They do seem to routinely use an old score.  I think this is there way of having a reason to deny people.  I asked for a CLI and the result was a no and the score they used was 3 or 4 months old.  It also seemed a bit low, like it was the old Credit Karma score not actually a FICO or even a Vantage score. 

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 9 of 11
racer-x
Valued Contributor

@TiggerDat wrote:

@nmac wrote:

They do seem to routinely use an old score.  I think this is there way of having a reason to deny people.  I asked for a CLI and the result was a no and the score they used was 3 or 4 months old.  It also seemed a bit low, like it was the old Credit Karma score not actually a FICO or even a Vantage score. 

Yuppers on CapOne using old SP's.

I was looking in my documents folder on my CapOne Platinum acct...I basically hit the luv button every month last year.  Sometimes the EQ scores were 3 months old from the date that I hit the button.

And just a couple days ago when I hit the luv button again for my 5 yr old $10k plattie, the denial document on line showed the  EQ score was from December '14.

Aaaannnnd, that same night, I got instant approved for a $10k Venture.  Uhhh, i've no clue as to how/why they are making these decisions.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.