Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Goal Cards?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

My Goal Cards?

I was sitting here thinking about my goal Cards. (Cards I hope to obtain in the near future). My scores are growing every day. So can someone let me know if Im getting hot or do I still need to do alot more work before getting approved.

Goal Cards As Follows:

Chase Saphire Reserve

Amex Blue Cash Everyday

Amazon Prime Visa

NFCU Amex

Old Navy

USAA (not sure which card yet)

Auto Loan with NFCU (Not a card, but still a goal) -Really this should be at the top of the list

NFCU Go Cash Rewards

Seems like alot to me. But those are the ones I want!

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: My Goal Cards?

I would recommend waiting to apply until you're closer to the 680ish range. Once you get there, just make sure you keep under 5/24 in order to get the CSR!

Out of curiousity, do you have a specific strategy you want to acheive with these cards? I'm always curious as to what drives folks to desire certain cards. 

Edited to add, be careful applying for too many cards at once. You will probably get lower and lower CL's the more you open in a short period. I would spread out your apps, aiming to add two every 6 months or so. 

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your response!!  What do you mean  " keep under 5/24" in order to get the CSR.

I want the CSR because I plan on doing some traveling.

The NFCU because its amex branded but will give NFCU limits (and its new)

Old navy because i shop there alot

Amex bce because I think it would be a good fit for a first Amex

Amazon prime because i do ALOT of shopping on Amazon

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you for your response!!  What do you mean  " keep under 5/24" in order to get the CSR.

You're welcome! Chase has this very annoying rule that they will not approve your app if you've applied for 5 or more credit cards within a 24 month period. This applies for the CSR/CSP, Freedom and Freedom Unlimited (along with other Chase cards), so if you are aiming for any of those (the Chase trifecta if you don't own a small business), I would apply for those cards first. Best earning combo out there in my opinion!

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You're welcome! Chase has this very annoying rule that they will not approve your app if you've applied for 5 or more credit cards within a 24 month period. This applies for the CSR/CSP, Freedom and Freedom Unlimited (along with other Chase cards), so if you are aiming for any of those (the Chase trifecta if you don't own a small business), I would apply for those cards first. Best earning combo out there in my opinion!

5 or more new accounts* Not 5 or more apps.

Message 5 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Songburd18, its great to have goals. Make sure you research each card you want, verify what is usually needed to achieve it and plan accordingly. Make sure each card will work for your lifestyle, which seems you have, that way you dont waste an app. Having these kind of goals will help you tremendously with future apps because youll know not to go for one just because its hot or everyone is getting approved. Chase CSR, in example youll need to know the 5/24 rule, that it usually starts at 10k so youll know you cant have more than 5 cc approvals in 2 years and you should have compsrable limits to help get that one.

LOL, that new NFCU Amex will be Baskin Robbins flavor #32 when its released ! Best of luck on achieving all your credit goalsSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

regarding the 5/24 rule....
Many of us have it reversed.
24 cards in 5 months😁😀
But you are going at it correctly...good plan
Message 7 of 12
EricB123
Established Member

Hi Songbird18.

What cards do you currently have? That would influence my decision.

Thanks,

Eric

Current Scores: Credit Karma TU: 785 (10/24/2016), Credit Karma EQ: 779 (10/24/2016) Discover: 752 (10/19/2016) Barclaycard: 746 (8/25/2016) Credit Sesame: 785 (10/24/2016), Credit.com: 802 (10/24/2016), Amex: 762 (9/21/2015), Equifax from Credit App: 782 (4/2016), Citi: 754 (9/27/16)

Goal Score: 800+

Cards: North Shore Bank: $1,000; Discover IT: $6,500; Barclaycard Rewards: $6,500; Amex Blue Cash Preferred: $21,600; Chase Freedom Unlimited: $7,500; Chase Sapphire Reserve: $11,400; Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select: $8,000

Plans: End of January/beginning of February: Have Amex BCP inquiry fall off credit report, try to get annual fee for Amex BCP waived, apply for Chase Ink+ or Chase Ink Cash

End of February/Beginning of March: Apply for Chase Freedom, Amex SPG, and a Citi card
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Goal cards are:

Chase Freedom (for some reason can not get this card)

Citi Prestige

NFCU Platinum for that low APR and free balance transfer incase of emergency ever

USAA Limitless for flat 2.5%

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good that you're gardening.  I have a three year plan ... right down to what dates i apply for goal cards. I'm in the garden until Mar 2nd of next year when 13 inquiries fall off. I could probably get a few cards now, but I figure if I wait until March the odds will be better and CLs will be higher. My goal cards:

Mar 2nd - 2018: Discover, CapOne Quicksilver, Amex BlueCash Preferred, 

May 22 - 2019: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Amazon Visa

Good luck!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.