Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Credit Card Application

tag
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

NFCU Credit Card Application

I recently had 3 NFCU Cards. Closed 2 now I only have one. attempted to apply for cashRewards and was told I did not meet lending criteria which I know is not true. Also no HP was done at all. How long do they have to be closed before I can reapply? 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: NFCU Credit Card Application

Seriously?? LOL.....

WHY WHY WHY would you even close your 2 cards to begin with ?? I read your other thread, and you closed them because they wouldn't combine for a higher limit??

Navy does combine but on very very very rare cases, but you could gotten CLI on your other two cards. Now.....you'll be lucky to get back another card with them....it'll be awhile.

Why would you close two cards, and then immediately reapply again for another card?? Hoping that your next card might reveal a higher SL?? I bet now just the opposite happens if and when you do get approved again.

I had to wait 3 long years before I got my 2nd card with them, and took a year to get that one to $20k.....you just have to know how the Navy CLI system works, and have a little patience sometimes. Im not the most patient person when it comes to credit, but for Navy....I learned that good things come to those who wait....Smiley Happy.

Ive been a member for 4 1/2 yrs, and Ive tried for a 3rd card for awhile, declined every time....you were lucky.
Message 2 of 12
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@pizza1 wrote:
Seriously?? LOL.....

WHY WHY WHY would you even close your 2 cards to begin with ?? I read your other thread, and you closed them because they wouldn't combine for a higher limit??

Navy does combine but on very very very rare cases, but you could gotten CLI on your other two cards. Now.....you'll be lucky to get back another card with them....it'll be awhile.

Why would you close two cards, and then immediately reapply again for another card?? Hoping that your next card might reveal a higher SL?? I bet now just the opposite happens if and when you do get approved again.

I had to wait 3 long years before I got my 2nd card with them, and took a year to get that one to $20k.....you just have to know how the Navy CLI system works, and have a little patience sometimes. Im not the most patient person when it comes to credit, but for Navy....I learned that good things come to those who wait....Smiley Happy.

Ive been a member for 4 1/2 yrs, and Ive tried for a 3rd card for awhile, declined every time....you were lucky.

LOL. Actually reason I was denied is because I opened my More Rewards Card Less than 91 Days ago. But they wouldnt extend me more credit so I closed 2. I didnt need 3 anyway. 

Amex ED: 7K, Delta Gold Amex: 7K Macys Amex: 8K , Bloomingdales Amex: 1K , BOA Premium Rewards: 59.9K , Best Buy Visa: 7K , Banana Republic Mastercard: 5K Target Store Card: 2K VACU Mastercard: 11.5K Discover: 25K, Penfed Platinum Rewards: 12.5K, Apple Card:3K, TD Double Up: 15K,
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you had the cards for all of 3 months. They wouldn't increase you in that short time so you close two because you didn't need three. What changed from the other day and now for you to suddenly need a card you didn't need a day or so ago? In my opinion, you sound like you had a temper tantrum because you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it, are now trying to justify it and shot yourself majorly in the foot in the process.

I also think it is going to be awhile before you are offered anything. If you are that quick to do that, what is going to make them think you won't again or fly off the handle with other things that don't go the way you want when you want.

You are going to have to earn their trust back which is going to be much harder and longer in time than if you had just been patient.
Message 4 of 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

This is strange indeed. Having 3 Navy cards, a hard feat in and of itself, then closing 2 only to want to app againis a headscratcher. Navy is changing its lending criteria as are many banks and CU's in that they seem to be slowing their roll on giving out huge increases for now. Like Pizza said, itll come though eventually. I agree Navy isnt stupid and pays attention to its members habits. Opening and closing cards in short order wont help you in the long run Op.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow this one is a head scratcher for sure. OP should've carefully and unemotionally read the boards.

Message 6 of 12
peghede
Valued Contributor

m8, wait few months ,they like to see history on new members ( once u 5 yrs or more gets allot easier) Now in u case wait few monts and you should get cli on the card u have with them (if u don't close the last card to lol)

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I echo what the other responders have said. Just getting in with NFCU was exciting for me. So was the first card and Line of Credit. I waited one year before applying for a second card. When it was approved I was doing my happy dance. 

Just be patient and play the waiting game. I would wait at least a year and use the card you have well. In the meantime read the boards. So much knowledge here from those who have had all the experiences you can imagine. Just my take...

So sorry this happened. Good luck with your next application. 

Message 8 of 12
Harvey26
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
So you had the cards for all of 3 months. They wouldn't increase you in that short time so you close two because you didn't need three. What changed from the other day and now for you to suddenly need a card you didn't need a day or so ago? In my opinion, you sound like you had a temper tantrum because you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it, are now trying to justify it and shot yourself majorly in the foot in the process.

I also think it is going to be awhile before you are offered anything. If you are that quick to do that, what is going to make them think you won't again or fly off the handle with other things that don't go the way you want when you want.

You are going to have to earn their trust back which is going to be much harder and longer in time than if you had just been patient.

No they Platinum Visas were both over a year old. The only new one was the More Rewards. 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe we are heading past the easy credit days.

Pen Fed kinda told me the same thing about my profile and their lending criteria.  They even wanted to see a second source of income before granting me a card.  Navy started me out at nearly $18,000.

I showed up to the party a little late when I missed the NASA boat.  But durn, I scarfed down several hors d'oeuvres and made the most out of it.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.