Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU Inquiry on TransUnion?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU Inquiry on TransUnion?!

I recently opened a savings and checking account with Navy Federal. Excited to give them a try for CC and maybe a car loan near the middle of the year.

Here's my question: I have an inquiry from them with TU from Dec 2014 (when I opened my savings and checking)... Why would they have to pull my credit report to open a checking and savings account? Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I was not expecting a HP for no good reason.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
core
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU Inquiry on TransUnion?!

Credit unions love to hard pull for membership.  That's just the way it is.  "No good reason"?  Maybe.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love NFCU but they HP for just about everything,  if you had applied for a cc at the time you joined they would have done a 2nd one.

But as pointed out, it's very common for credit unions to do HPs for membership.

Message 3 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I recently opened a savings and checking account with Navy Federal. Excited to give them a try for CC and maybe a car loan near the middle of the year.

Here's my question: I have an inquiry from them with TU from Dec 2014 (when I opened my savings and checking)... Why would they have to pull my credit report to open a checking and savings account? Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I was not expecting a HP for no good reason.

Thanks in advance.

I think a lot of people here would give two HP's to be able to join NFCU Smiley Happy Be happy you are in, it is normal though. 

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh, okay then. Well if it's normal then I suppose I will just have to suck it up! Smiley Wink

Does NFCU send out any pre-approvals over the course of your membership with them, or do you have to app for all cards? I am carefully saving my INQs because I need all the score assistance I can manage after my BK discharge in July 2013. Since they've already pulled me, you'd think they'd send me a bone... My scores seem to be in line to qualify for their lower end card.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh, okay then. Well if it's normal then I suppose I will just have to suck it up! Smiley Wink

Does NFCU send out any pre-approvals over the course of your membership with them, or do you have to app for all cards? I am carefully saving my INQs because I need all the score assistance I can manage after my BK discharge in July 2013. Since they've already pulled me, you'd think they'd send me a bone... My scores seem to be in line to qualify for their lower end card.

Yes, they will post preapprovals for credit cards, auto loans, etc under 'offers' once you log in.  

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes NFCU HPs TU when you join for membership. Once you joined and say down the road you want to open another checking they will Not HP again unless you are applying for loan or CC.

They also like to give "pre-selected" offers online when you sign into your online account. The offers come and go (and quick) the first day I logged in I got a preselected offer for their CashRewards CC I signed out and signed back in and it was already gone. It doesn't mean that your not preselected anymore if the offer goes away. The offers just come and go and I was told that you could call at any time and they could give you all of your preselected offers.

I was preselected for a Credit Card and auto loan. I only opened a CC but will definitely look into their auto loans when the time is right. Congrats and welcome to NFCU
Message 7 of 8
Scupra
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You aren't far behind my d/c date. Keep it going, it will all pay off!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.