Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NFCU cc denial?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

NFCU cc denial?

I was denied for the Cash Rewards card a few days ago. Not sure of the reason yet. Am I able to recon that?

Also, I've seen alot of people post about beign denied for the card but approved for the CLOC. How long should I wait to apply for that? And would it be better if I had direct deposit to my NFCU account?

Very new to Navy Fed and would like to learn as much as possible

Thanks in advance! 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
peghede
Valued Contributor

Re: NFCU cc denial?

i would apply for cloc  and ask 15k right after the cc.they seem to approve more ppl for they products than penfed.

Message 2 of 5
creditguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was denied for the Cash Rewards card a few days ago. Not sure of the reason yet. Am I able to recon that?

Also, I've seen alot of people post about being denied for the card but approved for the CLOC. How long should I wait to apply for that? And would it be better if I had direct deposit to my NFCU account?

Very new to Navy Fed and would like to learn as much as possible

Thanks in advance! 

You can always give recon a chance, you have nothing to lose but perhaps another HP. The real question is; what was the reason(s) for denial? Depending on the reason it may be futile to recon or reapply until your profile improves. Many people have had luck in getting approval for CLOC while being denied for a CC, the UW is handled by different departments. In my case I applied for a CC first then the CLOC they pulled TU for the CC and EQ for the CLOC, I only asked for $5,000 and probably could of got a higher amount, but I'll never use that much so i'm fine with $5k (I know that makes me weird around here) Smiley Wink. I have read that Navy will counter for a lower amount if your not approved for the whole $15k, but recently I've seen a few posts where they did not counter when denying the request, so I did not want to get overambitious and lose out altogether. 

I do not know if it would be better to have your direct deposit with Navy because i've seen approvals with nothing more than the basic account minimums being held there. Give recon a shot, I believe you can do so in a secure message and go from there. Work on whatever the denial reasons are and reapply in the future if necessary. You will get a card with them eventually and they will be there waiting for you when you are ready, I wasn't approved on my first app, second time around I was and they opened the credit heavens for me, and they will without a doubt for you too, they are a great CU to be with, best of luck keep us updated. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you so much for the reply! I appreciate the advice! ia m going to try and recon, see what they say

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditguy wrote:

I do not know if it would be better to have your direct deposit with Navy because i've seen approvals with nothing more than the basic account minimums being held there. Give recon a shot, I believe you can do so in a secure message and go from there. Work on whatever the denial reasons are and reapply in the future if necessary. You will get a card with them eventually and they will be there waiting for you when you are ready, I wasn't approved on my first app, second time around I was and they opened the credit heavens for me, and they will without a doubt for you too, they are a great CU to be with, best of luck keep us updated. 

How long did you wait between apps?  I was denied for too many new accounts and high utilization--which is a reasonable denial. I should be down to under 10% in a couple of months, and that will be around 5 months after my NCFU app.  I am thinking apply in January--6 months later.  Is that enough time for my "new" accounts to no longer be so new?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.