Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

Was going to wait for the May AR but was bored at work.  

After 4th statment and roughly 100 days I hit the CLI button 3,100 -> 18k   :-)

Decided to app for 2nd card over the CLOC but was declined... will try to recon :/

----------------------------------------

EDIT:  Called to recon and was told they wouldn't recon or allow the transfer of credit from one card to open another.  Might have to try again later for a different rep.  

Message 2571 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the great CLI By-the-Beach! 

Enjoy that new CL!!

Happy weekend everyone! Smiley Very Happy

Message 2572 of 17,187
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

That's awesome By-the-Beach
Message 2573 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the CLI, I have the urge big time as I just went over 180 days on my card that stuck at 2k.  I will hold out for the AR though.  NFCU seems a little gun shy on 2nd cards right after big CLI's it seems, I know some have received them but I have seen a fair number get denied.  CLOC standards are different so I wouldn't give up on that if its a product you really want.

Message 2574 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Has anyone applied for the NFCU Secured Rewards card, and then tried to apply for an unsecured 6mo later? 

I've been with NFCU for 3yrs now, and only have the Secured card to build a relationship with them. Never tried applying for their unsecured cards. I've had the secured card since March 2017, it posted to my credit reports April 4th, and my first statement is due May 1st. I called customer service to see what their graduation policy was, and was told that it could happen before the year mark as the goal is to get away from the secured card as fast as possible. 

I was thinking of applying for an unsecured card in September of this year. Current scores are in the 580-590 range. 

Message 2575 of 17,187
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Looks like most recently they are starting to unsecure anywhere from 6 to 12 mths , you can always app for an unsecured card but I would not do it until your scores have had a big change and atleast hit 650s
Message 2576 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Has anyone applied for the NFCU Secured Rewards card, and then tried to apply for an unsecured 6mo later? 

I've been with NFCU for 3yrs now, and only have the Secured card to build a relationship with them. Never tried applying for their unsecured cards. I've had the secured card since March 2017, it posted to my credit reports April 4th, and my first statement is due May 1st. I called customer service to see what their graduation policy was, and was told that it could happen before the year mark as the goal is to get away from the secured card as fast as possible. 

I was thinking of applying for an unsecured card in September of this year. Current scores are in the 580-590 range. 

Current datapoints point to graduation from secured to unsecured starting to be an option at 5 months open, with some as long as 12 months or more.  Your most frustration-free path would be to continue working on your scores until the secured card goes unsecured, and then if you want/need more, app for a second card at that time.  Generally a CLI is applied at the same time the card unsecures, so that will start a 180-day clock barring further increases on the then-unsecured first card.

Message 2577 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tried for 2nd card, a flagship to take advantage of the point bonus and was denied.

Message 2578 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Current datapoints point to graduation from secured to unsecured starting to be an option at 5 months open, with some as long as 12 months or more.  Your most frustration-free path would be to continue working on your scores until the secured card goes unsecured, and then if you want/need more, app for a second card at that time.  Generally a CLI is applied at the same time the card unsecures, so that will start a 180-day clock barring further increases on the then-unsecured first card.

I was told they don't even look at unsecuring until the 13th month, I have seen some here that graduated sooner but I did not even with scores in the mid 600's and other approvals for unsecured cards with them.  I don't believe there is anything you can do to get them to review it unless something has changed since last summer.

Message 2579 of 17,187
ls2016
Frequent Contributor

Just sharing what I shared on another NFCU thread: I requested the max CLI on my Cash Rewards card at 3 statements, 90 days and received an EQ HP (FICO- 657) and review message on 4/22/17. Still haven't heard anything, so I'm assuming it's a no-go. So, it appears that soft versus hard pulls vary per individual. I'll continue to make due with my $14,300 SL that I rarely use. Or, I may try again after the May AR, although I can't afford another HP.

Current FICO 8s: Ex 768, Tu 741, Eq 741
Current FICO 9s: Ex 775, Tu ?? Eq 781
Total TLs: $120,000
8 (30-60 day) mortgage lates and 2 (30 day) auto lates remain from Jan., Feb. 2016
Current Mortgage Ex. Fico 2 787
Message 2580 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.