Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
Shawndoe79
Established Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@Shawndoe79 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Slow disappointment sounds torturous 

Well at this point it is what it is, I was probably pushing my luck, since November i got the 20k AMEX, 25k Personal loan, and 6500 cloc (should’ve asked for 15k), all with no POI, so my well probably has run dry for now

UPDATE: cli denied, 1st card still stuck at 1k smh. Reason cited:  Request exceeds maximum unsecured loan limit.  Does this mean I can recon for a lower limit? Should I close it and app for another card?  I asked for 20k to match my More Rewards.  Strangely the max button wasnt available when I requested cli.

Current Scores EQ 689| EX 688| TU 679
Comenity 57.5k| Navy Fed 52.5k| Capital One 32.3k| Synchrony 23k| BBVA Compass 5.5k| First Commerce 4k| Barclays 1.9k|
GARDENING UNTIL APPING....
Message 5761 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm reposting this... it dropped in the middle of a conversation last night between @Jago22 and @ImaPirate. Lol

I received a letter from NFCU today in reference to my CLI from 12/30. It stated that my Equifax score was 760 on a scale of 334 to 818. I did a Google search and it seems that this score range is used for mortgages. Is this the score range the rest of you have read in your correspondence from NFCU? Can I extrapolate that my FICO 8 is 792? Hmm... I don't think it is.(My NFCU FICO 9 shows a score of 789 as of 1/4.)
Message 5762 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shawndoe79 wrote:

@Shawndoe79 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Well at this point it is what it is, I was probably pushing my luck, since November i got the 20k AMEX, 25k Personal loan, and 6500 cloc (should’ve asked for 15k), all with no POI, so my well probably has run dry for now

UPDATE: cli denied, 1st card still stuck at 1k smh. Reason cited:  Request exceeds maximum unsecured loan limit.  Does this mean I can recon for a lower limit? Should I close it and app for another card?  I asked for 20k to match my More Rewards.  Strangely the max button wasnt available when I requested cli.

Most CLI's aren't until 6 months now for most members, and that exceeds max unsecured limit is BS LOL  I got that for my denied CLI, and then was approved for a 15k amex and a 14k CLOC.  Cli's don't seem to be what they were, so choice is yours.  If I want a card with more than 5k, ill have to app a new one again

Message 5763 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
@I'm reposting this... it dropped in the middle of a conversation last night between @Anonymous and @Anonymous. Lol

I received a letter from NFCU today in reference to my CLI from 12/30. It stated that my Equifax score was 760 on a scale of 334 to 818. I did a Google search and it seems that this score range is used for mortgages. Is this the score range the rest of you have read in your correspondence from NFCU? Can I extrapolate that my FICO 8 is 792? Hmm... I don't think it is.(My NFCU FICO 9 shows a score of 789 as of 1/4.)

I'm not a 100% sure, but I think the 334 - 818 is leftover on the letters from when they used nextgen.  They state they only use fico 9, so it could be old form they filled out to send you or could be using some next-gen without telling us

Message 5764 of 17,187
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback about joining them.  I will have to give them a call and get more information.  I really appreciate it!  :-)

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 5765 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Shawndoe79 wrote:

@Shawndoe79 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry about the denial. This is just my very humble opinion but here goes. I personally haven't seen any data that shows someone closing a card and then reapplying for it just to hopefully get a higher SL. There is a good chance I missed it, so if anyone has actually successfully accomplished that move, please give us the data points. Again IMHO I would look at what you know for sure. No matter what the limit is for now, you my friend ARE IN at Navy and that in itself is huge. The credit limit will grow. You take care of Navy, they will take care of you. I would consider just going back to the basics that have worked so well for so many for so long. Use the heck out of the card. PIF immediately and maybe several times a month. Make sure your statement cuts with a zero balance. Do it over and over again. I would wait and in the beginning of July or when the card hits the 1 year mark (whichever you choose), then try again for a CLI. Give Navy a chance to see the history and the consistency and I think you will be very surprised.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 5766 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dsotm76 wrote:

Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback about joining them.  I will have to give them a call and get more information.  I really appreciate it!  :-)

Please give us a follow up after you've called! I look forward to following your journey!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 5767 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay my friends, I've been doing some thinking about NFCU and I think that what we knew about the Navy process and what we know, are miles apart at this point in time. Even though we'd love to find a way to get massive CLI's like this time last year, that isn't happening right now. With 7 million members and the fact they are the largest credit union on the planet, they have obviously been paying attention to the news lol! There is a lot of consumer credit card debt out there and while it's good for the economy it's a bit shaky. Maybe for now we need to start thinking of Navy as a mainstream leander that can surprise us on occasion with a nice SL or new card but personally, I think alot of what we 'expect' is unrealistic right now. We'd never go for CLI's and multiple cards on the same day at AMEX or CIti or Chase. Six months to a year may be the new model for NFCU for most borrowers, we just don't have enough info yet.  

Our personal credit history, AAoA, utilization, inquiries, scores are the things we can control. We do it right, we'll be rewarded. It just might take longer than we want sometimes but it's a marathon. Personally, I just hate to see the frustration that some are experiencing because they aren't getting the result they are hoping for right now with Navy. Closing cards to open a new one to get a couple extra grand may be a strategy for some but what if we close a card and Navy says no to the new card? Things are in flux there and have been since July 2017. I just think we all need to remember YMMV and proceed with caution.

I'm really interested in what my fellow myFicoer's are thinking about the changes at Navy and I'm hoping to hear your thoughts! Happy weekend everyone!

Smiley Very Happy

Message 5768 of 17,187
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Okay my friends, I've been doing some thinking about NFCU and I think that what we knew about the Navy process and what we know, are miles apart at this point in time. Even though we'd love to find a way to get massive CLI's like this time last year, that isn't happening right now. With 7 million members and the fact they are the largest credit union on the planet, they have obviously been paying attention to the news lol! There is a lot of consumer credit card debt out there and while it's good for the economy it's a bit shaky. Maybe for now we need to start thinking of Navy as a mainstream leander that can surprise us on occasion with a nice SL or new card but personally, I think alot of what we 'expect' is unrealistic right now. We'd never go for CLI's and multiple cards on the same day at AMEX or CIti or Chase. Six months to a year may be the new model for NFCU for most borrowers, we just don't have enough info yet.  

Our personal credit history, AAoA, utilization, inquiries, scores are the things we can control. We do it right, we'll be rewarded. It just might take longer than we want sometimes but it's a marathon. Personally, I just hate to see the frustration that some are experiencing because they aren't getting the result they are hoping for right now with Navy. Closing cards to open a new one to get a couple extra grand may be a strategy for some but what if we close a card and Navy says no to the new card? Things are in flux there and have been since July 2017. I just think we all need to remember YMMV and proceed with caution.

I'm really interested in what my fellow myFicoer's are thinking about the changes at Navy and I'm hoping to hear your thoughts! Happy weekend everyone!

Smiley Very Happy

Well said my friend.  Smiley Happy

For better or for worse, I agree that we may need to realign our expectations when it comes to NFCU. 

They are still an awesome CU - there's no question about that - but IMO things have definitely changed from this time a year ago.  I think you put it well that they should now be thought of as being similar to the mainstream/conventional lenders. 

It's clear by now that some of the more aggressive techniques that were encouraged in the past (by some) are no longer in play, or are at best very YMMV.

Message 5769 of 17,187
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Smiley Very Happy

I think you're right, I think they've tightened things up a bit.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 5770 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.