Did you mean: 

Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

tag
Scupra
Super Contributor

Re: Navy Federal Thread for CLI and Additional Cards

@Anonymous wrote:

@Scupra, thanks for the info my friend!

So good to hear from you...heck...I'd still be hanging with a Credit 1 Visa and a Cap 1 Platinum in Credit Steps, if it wasn't for you and all your advice and help with getting my rebuild started! I will never be able to thank you enough for taking the time to share your wisdom!

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley Very Happy

Oh @Anonymous, don't embarrass me! You are too nice Smiley Happy Just the fact that you are in this thread helping others is enough for me. Thank you so much and it's awesome to see your rebuild looking GREAT!

Filed BK7: 7/2012 (start score EQ 560 / TU 529) Discharge 10/2012
801 EQ FICO 06/2022
797 TU FICO 04/2022
793 EX FICO 04/2022
$30k NFCU Platinum | $30.7k NFCU cashRewards Sig | $15k NavChek | $7.1k Cap1 Quicksilver | $10k Amazon Store | $19k Cap1 VentureOne | $16k Barclay Aviator | $5k Chase Freedom | $5k Chase Sapphire Preferred | $9k Costco Visa | $20k AMEX BCE | AMEX Gold | NFCU Platinum #2 $19.3k | Apple $8.5k
Message 3851 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sand and @meat.

Yup, 90+ days and 3 statements for the CLI request on the new card.

If you get a CLI, then it's six months before you can attempt another. If you don't get the CLI (turned down), you can request it again at any time.

Smiley Very Happy

Message 3852 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then it's on to run a ton thru the new card....its got a great BT offer
Message 3853 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all, at first navy was saying my account was to new for c li on my rewards card and just got it in April, yet they gave me another card. Now my denied letter is saying, request exceeds maximum unsecured loan limit, excessive credit obligations, delinquent past or present credit obligations with others, so does that mean I'm likely not going to be approved for a c li in Oct or Nov????? I've been paying all my other c cs down or off but I do have their cloc maxed out but not set up for payment yet. What do y all suggest I do?
Message 3854 of 17,187
melitza1603
Valued Member

Hello all,

I opened my 1st Checking/Savings account in mid-June. I applied for and was approved at $500 for the secured nRewards cc. A week later I applied for and was instantly approved for GoRewards at $2,000. My FICO is 628. I tried applying for the Personal Loan today and was flat out denied. I wanted to improve my score by diversifying my credit accts because I want to purchase a home next year. What would be the best route in order to achieve these goals?
Message 3855 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why the loan Melitza

Message 3856 of 17,187
melitza1603
Valued Member

I was aiming at having different types of credit lines not ust credit cards. Hopefully also increase my score.
Message 3857 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

WadeDalton, please do tell how you were able to improve your credit, I want details!!! Congrats on that nfcu card!!!
Message 3858 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@melitza, welcome to the community. We are so glad that you joined us.

As you start to search around the MyFico forums, you will find many threads with suggestions for building a killer credit profile. Having a mix of credit types is an important part of the equation and your decision to have an installment loan is right-on IMHO. If you already have an auto loan, you're all set. This is just my 12 cents on what I might do, if there isn't an existing auto loan.

• There are two cards with Navy. You didn't say if there are any others in your profile but if so or not, personally I would not app for another card right now as two are plenty to build. 
  • I would  suggest using the heck out of the GoRewards card and make sure to PIF every month a few days before the statement cuts. You can put your everyday spend on it, rent (if possible), utilities, groceries, gas, etc...I would not use it for other types of purchases just to make sure I was spending within the amount I could pay off. 
  • The nRewards will unsecure itself. Use it for a couple of things monthly and pay in full.
  • Rinse and repeat this cycle with the cards monthly. It will show NFCU that you know how to manage your available credit.
  • After 90+ days and 3 statements have been cut on the GoRewards card, you can go for a CLI. 
  • While you are working on the cards, I would suggest you opening an account at Alliant CU and doing a secured share (I think that's what it's called) installment loan with them. This will establish your installment credit. (You can do a search on the forum to find out about how great it's been for others here).

Building or rebuilding is a long road and the best tip I can share is to be consistent and don't rush it. I'm a firm believer in how much amazing change can happen in six months.

Congrats on the two cards with NFCU and they will take care of you for years to come if you treat them right. 

The MyFico community is the best and the greatest part is that the tools and experience shared by the members is all free. Study hard and I am excited to follow your amazing journey!

Have a great weekend!

Smiley Very Happy 

(spelling courtesy of my dang phone or at least that's my story lol)!

Message 3859 of 17,187
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dch, if I can do it...seriously...anyone can.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so here's a link to my background for the rebuild. It's a work in progress and always will be but thanks to Scupra and all who help everyday, I know I'm on the right track.

http://bit.ly/2vNH5Qe

Please don't hesitate to PM me if you have specific questions...as you probably know by now...'ol Wade loves to talk lol!!

Hope you're havin' a great pre-eclipse weekend! Smiley Very Happy

Message 3860 of 17,187
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.