Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help choosing my next card.

tag
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Need help choosing my next card.

I have a Discover IT card approaching 6 months in April, it's the only item on my CR. It has perfect payment history. I want a second card to bolster my CR. My original plan was to get a secured BofA card as a second trade line since I bank at BofA , but now I feel like I have passed the secured card phase. How is BofA with 6 month old history? Or are they like Chase that require a year of history? I was also considering an Amex charge card, since they seem to be open to clean 6 month old histories. Any other suggestions?

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Need help choosing my next card.

I got a Barclays Rewards with only 6 months history. What are your fico scores? Any baddies:
Message 2 of 5
Discover2016
Valued Contributor

Hey, thanks for responding, I was also looking at Barclays. I have no baddies, basically my CR is a clean sheet with just Discover. I haven't recieved my FICO from Discover yet, I called them and they told me to expect it on my 6th statement. On CK I get 720, not sure how accurate that is.

Gardening until September 2025
Next app: Mortgage in September 2025
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

if your scores are above avg i would go with amex! 

Message 4 of 5
jzamarripa3220
New Contributor

OP, I was in the same boat as you were when I was first starting out. My first card was a bofa cash rewards. Then at six months i was approved for a freedom card. At eight months, I went on an app spree and I was approved for everything that i apped for (amex bce, discover it, cu card, cap1 qs, and clis... i think it was in that order). So I think you have a very good chance for either or, if not both. However, I do not recommend apping for as many cards as I did, as I was denied a Sallie Mae card two months after my app spree, and that's the card that i really really want. My advice is, go for whatever card(s) you truly want or need.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.