Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need some advice on what to apply for next

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Need some advice on what to apply for next

Hello everybody! I have been rebuilding my credit, when I was younger I fell on hard times. About a year ago I completely paid off the couple derogs I had and basically had a fresh start with a completely clear credit report.

3 months ago I apped for a Capital one Platinum and was approved for a $300 credit line, have paid ontime and kept a low balance below 30% I just paid my bill and it hasn't reported yet so I should be around 10% utilization. I recently apped for a Citi card recommended to me on CK but was denied and when I received the rejection letter it was due to limited credit history. Completely understandable, so I need some advice on wether I should keep gardening with the 1CC I have and wait a bit instead of wasting HP ? I have 2 old accounts, 1 credit card, 1 auto loan, that were all paid ontime and closed under good terms. I thought that I wouldn't have issues with credit history but my new credit is only 3 months old and it seems CK is using that vs experian using my 3 accounts which is median 6 years. I am considering applying for the amex everyday card but worried I may get denied again due to limited credit history. CK says the approval range is 630-750 and my scores are:
EX-711 TRANS-681 EQUIFAX-681

Here are some screen grabs from the 2 credit services I use to see all 3 of my reports. Thanks everyone I have learned alot lurking here but thought it was time to post my situation and see what would be my best course of action. Thanks in advance you guys have been a major source of valuable info for me.

Experian
http://tinypic.com/r/118dmpw/9

Transunion and Equifax
http://tinypic.com/r/rsa5ao/9

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Need some advice on what to apply for next

Have you considered a Discover card? They are kind of friendly to thin file applicants and may approve people with limited to no credit history. You will also get free access to monthly TU FICO 08.

Message 2 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't looked into discover very much. I did a pre qaulification last night and the only offer was a secured card so I wasn't sure if that would be a definitive denial if I cold app. I chose the amex everyday over the blue based on my credit being higher for that card. Essentially I am willing to take one more HP I just want to choose wisely to hopefully not have another HP with nothing to show. If you have a card in mind I would definitely consider it. Do you think that the amex card I mentioned would be a possibility?

Thanks for the post and taking the time here is the card I was considering
https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/amex-everyday/?eep=26129&extlink=af-us-ccsg-AXE...

Message 3 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Ignore Credit Karma scores, they're fake scores for entertainment purposes only.  Two of the bureaus were sued/fined by the government for peddling the same "Vantage Scores" as credit scores lenders use, which they aren't.  SO IGNORE CREDIT KARMA SCORES.
  2. Ignore Credit Karma suggestions -- those are BS, Credit Karma makes a commission every time someone apps and gets approved, so they want everyone apping "just in case" so they can get their $50.

If you want advice on best cards, it's best to post your FICO8 scores and your profile including:

1. Approval date of every card and loan you've gotten (you CAN trust Credit Karma for these dates)
  2. The current balance AND credit limit on each and every card you have, not just ranges of numbers
  3. The current balance AND opening balance of any loans you have (student, auto, personal, etc)

I'd say go Discover Secured -- $200 now, and you can add up to $2500 total later in $100 amounts and they will likely graduate you at 7th month.  So get $200 in, get the card, and send them $100-$200 every 2 weeks to amp up the credit limit until you get to $2500.  Then in 7 months you may have an unsecured $2500 card.  That card earns 2% cash back due to the first year match, 4% on gas and restaurants!

Also consider apping for a second Capital One card  6months after your first one.

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well thank you for the advice I had no idea about CK scores. So in the image I also posted my fico8 score of 711 from experian would that be a more accurate picture? I posted two screen shots showing all of my info aswell as balances maybe you could take a look? I would rather just wait and use my capital one card for the time being then to invest in a secured card as I feel my Credit score and report don't necessatate that drastic of an option. Aswell as my prior approval. I think for my 2nd HP with citi I just shot a little too high from CK's recommendation after researching the card I apped for after my cp one. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Do you have any non secured suggestions or would I just be better off using what I have and waiting?

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as a score says "FICO" near it, it's good to go.  A FICO8 of 711 on Experian is good -- I got approved for Amex BCP without any prequalification at EX 710 and got a $2000 limit.

That being said, FICO gives you "free" points for your first 3 credit cards, secured or otherwise.  There's nothing wrong with a good secured card, it helps you build a stronger profile, thicker AAoA and boosts your score for your first 3 cards.  I had the Discover IT Secured and it's an excellent cashback card the first year and helped me get in with Chase, Amex and US Bank months later.

Message 6 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the screen grab I was reffering to in my op post so essentially CK scores are fake and my fico8 of 711 is what I should go off.

Experian
http://tinypic.com/r/118dmpw/9

I think the citi card CK recommended was out of my reach due to my limited new credit history. I am pretty sure I have the credit for the BCE or the everyday card the only thing that concerns me is my limited history affecting me aswell with amex like it did with citi but I am not sure if I should take the hp to find out unless you think my I would be able to get either amex card. I was leaning towards the everyday card as it said the average approved score was 671 but if I could get the BCE just as easily I would rather do that app. I have heard of people doing two apps same night and it only doing one HP I wasn't so sure if that were true or not but I am looking for one more CC before I garden for the next year it would be nice to get the amex I just am not sure if limited history will be the issue with this card aswell. Thanks for all the advice I will have to look into maintaining a secured card to strengthen my overall profile thanks alot for the advice.

Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need at least 3 cards to start rebuilding. I would do the Discover secured and maybe a credit union. 

Message 8 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is what I was shooting for but wanted to get atleast 2 CC to get going I don't want to waste HP on a bunch of CC apps so I figured I could try to find other cards like the platinum one. I was approved on the platinum one with a 600 score and since have gone to 711 so I figured it shouldn't be to much harder to atleast find another unsecured card. It looks like the amex cards are my best bet. I am going to do some research to round out my cards at 3 with a good secured card.  have also been getting notices for chase cards aswell would the lower teir card be a good option aswell as the amex everyday?

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you already bank with Chase, log in and go to the "Your Offers" section on the sidebar there -- if an offer has a green checkmark, it's a strong preapproval (but nothing is guaranteed of course).

Amex has a prequalification page on their site which is also a strong thumbs up.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.