Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Needing advice for credit card approval

tag
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Needing advice for credit card approval

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the board here and been reading through some of the topics.  I'm looking to extend my credit some and want some advice on credit cards that would be best to apply for where my chances for denial are minimal.

I currently have a Capital One Secured (no balance and always paid in full) which is CLI capped at $500.00 and Capital One won't do anything further.  I also have a Sony card through Sync (2400 CL and 1300 current usage) which has been great for financing over time and paying off before hand.  I also have an auto loan currently and one medical account that was charitied off but someone has purchased it and has it in a collection and is trying to bully the money out of me.  I also just moved so I could help take care of my mother after hospitalization, so my address is only 3 months old.  CK says that I'm TU and EQ of 635.  Sync has my FICO at 622 and the Discover FICO has me at 627.

Citi and Chase don't have any pre-qual offers for me.  The usual predators like Credit One are mailing me weekly.  Capital One and Discover on their websites have some pre-qual offers (the Quicksilver for Capital One and the Discover IT and Chrome card, respectively).  I also keep getting hit with a pre-approved everytime I shop at Express (tempting just for the convenience, LOL).  I'm leary of the hard pulls and want to make the most of when I go for a card next.

Any advice on what cards to go for to maximize my next pull?

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Needing advice for credit card approval

@dsotm76 wrote:

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the board here and been reading through some of the topics.  I'm looking to extend my credit some and want some advice on credit cards that would be best to apply for where my chances for denial are minimal.

I currently have a Capital One Secured (no balance and always paid in full) which is CLI capped at $500.00 and Capital One won't do anything further.  I also have a Sony card through Sync (2400 CL and 1300 current usage) which has been great for financing over time and paying off before hand.  I also have an auto loan currently and one medical account that was charitied off but someone has purchased it and has it in a collection and is trying to bully the money out of me.  I also just moved so I could help take care of my mother after hospitalization, so my address is only 3 months old.  CK says that I'm TU and EQ of 635.  Sync has my FICO at 622 and the Discover FICO has me at 627.

Citi and Chase don't have any pre-qual offers for me.  The usual predators like Credit One are mailing me weekly.  Capital One and Discover on their websites have some pre-qual offers (the Quicksilver for Capital One and the Discover IT and Chrome card, respectively).  I also keep getting hit with a pre-approved everytime I shop at Express (tempting just for the convenience, LOL).  I'm leary of the hard pulls and want to make the most of when I go for a card next.

Any advice on what cards to go for to maximize my next pull?

Welcome to the boards! Personally, if your goal is to solidify your credit portfolio for better cards. I'd stay away from store cards. Discover is a good card to start off with, the account will actually grow over time and with responsible use, while you are earning Cashbacks and saving in the interim. If you are getting a pre-approval, I'd definitely consider it. But your UT might set off some alarms, so I would pay down that $1300 to bring your UT down to at least 10%, let it report and then apply. So you can get optimum results with possibly a more favorable SL. But of course not every profile is the same. Good luck on what you decide.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you have a preapproval from Discover, I would apply.

Message 3 of 9
ngoaa
New Contributor

I second others about Discover. Not the biggest fan of store cards but if you can get Discover in your portfolio, that will eventually open many doors to big names like Amex and Chase. Then you can get store cards afterwards haha. Good luck! 

Message 4 of 9
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Thank you everyone for the advice.  I really appreciate it.  I'm going to see if I can get my Sony paid down a little and then go for the apply with Discover.  I've always wanted a Discover card and I really like the cashback benefits.  Plus, I'm able to avoid getting another Capital One card after their crappy performance (and lies) with their secured one.  I'll hold off on the Express card as well.  Just trying to extend my credit some.

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Message 5 of 9
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Quick update as well.  I logged into my Discover FICO scorecard and see where the FICO score with them is now 695.  Does Discover pull FICO or will this mean that my EQ and TU scores will start rising up to a comparable level?

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover's FICO for credit card holders is TU FICO8 so that's real.  Credit Karma scores are "FAKO" fake scores for entertainment purposes only.

Congrats on a great card.  Let it age a bit and in time, you'll want to get a total of 5 credit cards but I would wait until your scores are in the 700s to app for any more!

Message 7 of 9
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Discover's FICO for credit card holders is TU FICO8 so that's real.  Credit Karma scores are "FAKO" fake scores for entertainment purposes only.

Congrats on a great card.  Let it age a bit and in time, you'll want to get a total of 5 credit cards but I would wait until your scores are in the 700s to app for any more!

You mentioned the "FAKO" scores.  Is there a place to find my real TU, EX, and EQ scores without having to pay?

Did get some good news from the CK "FAKO" score today as both TU and EQ went up to 660, a 25 point jump.  

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dsotm76 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You mentioned the "FAKO" scores.  Is there a place to find my real TU, EX, and EQ scores without having to pay?

Did get some good news from the CK "FAKO" score today as both TU and EQ went up to 660, a 25 point jump.  

You can try the one week trial for CCT (creditchecktotaldotcom) and sign up for the 7 day trial. They will show your actual Fico 8 scores for all three CRA's

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.