Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Amex... need help deciding

tag
crew99
Contributor

New Amex... need help deciding

Happy New Year everyone!

So I need to get a new amex card.. to add a little more AAoA.  Currently I am using the SPG and getting alot of nice points for travel/hotel.  I was thinking about getting the PRG, but the point system isn't that attractive, or am I completely wrong?

Also.... the most important thing is how a revolver will affect my score.  My amex currently has a 25K limit so if I use 2500 it's only hitting 10%, but with the PRG is it even affecting my % usage at all?  Sorry a little confused....

Starting Score: CK 658 12/4/12 | CS 658 12/4/12 | myFico(EQ) 696 12/1/12
Current Score: CK 725 12/1/14 | CS 775 12/1/14 | myFico(EQ) 753 12/2/14
Goal Score: 800 Dare I Dream??

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Amex... need help deciding

@crew99 wrote:

Happy New Year everyone!

So I need to get a new amex card.. to add a little more AAoA.  Currently I am using the SPG and getting alot of nice points for travel/hotel.  I was thinking about getting the PRG, but the point system isn't that attractive, or am I completely wrong?

Also.... the most important thing is how a revolver will affect my score.  My amex currently has a 25K limit so if I use 2500 it's only hitting 10%, but with the PRG is it even affecting my % usage at all?  Sorry a little confused....

Doesn't factor into usage.

Message 2 of 11
crew99
Contributor

so if i put all my charges on there, I will have 0% uilitization?  

I was thinking of getting the BCE card along with that, the 2 browser trick doesnt' work anymore does it?

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@crew99 wrote:

so if i put all my charges on there, I will have 0% uilitization?  

I was thinking of getting the BCE card along with that, the 2 browser trick doesnt' work anymore does it?

Sorta, But you need to pay in full.

Message 4 of 11
crew99
Contributor

absolutely, I always pay in full before the due date  Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Nixon is correct, a balance reporting on the PRG will not harm your usage but if you allow it to report, FICO will count it as another card reporting a balance.  That reporting may be an issue if you are trying to allow only one card report

Message 6 of 11
taxi818
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@crew99 wrote:

Happy New Year everyone!

Doesn't factor into usage.

It factors in if a balance reports. Which it can. My statement closed on the 7th last month. Balance $171.dollars. Pay by by date. 23rd. So it will unless you always have paid before close date. 

Message 7 of 11
crew99
Contributor

Currently I have 3 cards reporting a balance, is there an advantage to having only one card report?

Message 8 of 11
crew99
Contributor

Can you guys help me decide if i'm understanding this correctly?

My main goal is adding AAoA to my accounts:

If I apply for a business gold card, that would add 1 HP, but my AAoA would be 0, and I can't backdate (but i'm targeted for 50K MR is the only reason I was considering)

If I apply for a personal gold card, that would add 1 HP, but also allow me to backdate

Message 9 of 11
ojefferyo
Valued Contributor

@crew99 wrote:

Can you guys help me decide if i'm understanding this correctly?

My main goal is adding AAoA to my accounts:

If I apply for a business gold card, that would add 1 HP, but my AAoA would be 0, and I can't backdate (but i'm targeted for 50K MR is the only reason I was considering)

If I apply for a personal gold card, that would add 1 HP, but also allow me to backdate

how far back are we talking?

Amex Platinum, Amex Hilton HHonors Surpass, Chase Southwest Premier, Chase Marriott Rewards Premier, Discover IT, Sony Visa, Barclay Arrival+ MC, Cabela Visa, Walmart SC, Amazon SC, Kohls, Diners Club Premier, PayPal Credit, PenFed Platinum Reward Visa, PenFed PLOC, Chase Ritz Carlton, Citi TY Premier, Amex BCP, Discover Miles, Care Credit, Blue Nile SC, iComfort SC, Cap1 Venture, Chase Hyatt, Lowes, US Bank Cash+, Citi Costco Visa
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.