Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Credit Card - No SSN

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

New Credit Card - No SSN

Hi,

I am visiting the US for 3-4 months a year in the last few year.

I opened a BoA checking account back in 2009 and was approved my first travel card last July.

Earlier this month I decided to try and get a better card as I travel a lot.

I tried a few premium cards (maybe too early) and wasn't approved on the spot but I didn't call in any of them.

I then applied for an offer I saw on card match for CapitalOne Plan and was approved with 2k CLI.

A few days ago I tried Amex SPG card and got an email back that I was denied, said I had 703 score with experian but also noted that my credit history is rather new.

When checking BoA I have a 719 score (TU) and Nerd Wallet shows 709 (TU) as well...

A Few questions:

1) As I am new to this, is this regular in the first year?

2) Should I call any of the premium cards again (Amex Plat, Chase Saphire, Citi Prestige), as I didn't get an email from Amex regarding the denial like I did with the SPG card

3) Should I try going to a branch and apply?

4) Will opening a checking account with Chase/Citi help me out to get a card approved in a few months?

Thanks...

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Re: New Credit Card - No SSN

I think you should pull a 3B CR and see exactly where your scores are since Citi pulls EQ/EX, Amex pulls EX/TU, and chase pulls EX/TU, what is your utilization?. Your oldest account is 8 months old so I don't think CSP or the Citi prestige is quite in your reach just yet..
Message 2 of 11
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

https://www.discover.com/free-credit-score/

If you want to sign up for it, discover offers free monthly access to your Fico8 Experian score, no credit card required.
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I signed up at discover and my fico score there (EX) is 703.

The only red I have is the credit history of course. and utilization is 30%, Althought I just paid my card yesterday fully...

What are you recomendations? To wait a while longer? 

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I understand I cannot get the premium cards at the moment, looks like I will be confirm a Discover It card, should I do it so I will have more accounts?

Message 5 of 11
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

I'd wait a while longer wait till the capital one card report, also 30% utilization isn't too bad but to maximize your chances I'd have it at 1-10%,

Going in branch won't do anything IMO.
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How did you get a credit card without a SSN?

Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not 100% sure, I think they are using my passport number for SSN... As I wrote, I have the BoA account open for 8 years now...

Message 8 of 11
Credit_Flavours
Regular Contributor

Hi all,

this is my first post on the forum and my stats are almost a carbon copy of the OP's.

My app for the BCE was also denied on april 11th. The 7-10 days letter which i got in the snail mail today said exactly everything you have listed up here and my EX fico which was stated in it was 703 as at that day.

My oldest is a 9months old BOA Cash rewards with a $1000 CL and i now have a month old Cap1 platinum with a $300 CL. My UTI is 23% as per the update i got from credit.com this morning which obviously uses experian report. No baddies.

The only snag i think is that i went on an unsuccessful app spree that added 4 new inquiries making 8 in total and the unavoidably the short 9 months history.

I intend to follow all the advice on here as it has already been a great experience for me since i joined the forum. I reduced the utilization on my only card then from 100% to 28% and in one month went from EX fico8 of 608 to 703 and with the new cap1 reporting just 2days ago after statement cut on the 14th my EX this morning is 722.

You guys are doing fantastic work here.

Message 9 of 11
lexrjSD
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I am visiting the US for 3-4 months a year in the last few year.

I opened a BoA checking account back in 2009 and was approved my first travel card last July.

Earlier this month I decided to try and get a better card as I travel a lot.

I tried a few premium cards (maybe too early) and wasn't approved on the spot but I didn't call in any of them.

I then applied for an offer I saw on card match for CapitalOne Plan and was approved with 2k CLI.

A few days ago I tried Amex SPG card and got an email back that I was denied, said I had 703 score with experian but also noted that my credit history is rather new.

When checking BoA I have a 719 score (TU) and Nerd Wallet shows 709 (TU) as well...

A Few questions:

1) As I am new to this, is this regular in the first year?

2) Should I call any of the premium cards again (Amex Plat, Chase Saphire, Citi Prestige), as I didn't get an email from Amex regarding the denial like I did with the SPG card

3) Should I try going to a branch and apply?

4) Will opening a checking account with Chase/Citi help me out to get a card approved in a few months?

Thanks...

Looking to help a friend build credit without a SSN.

How do you check your credit without a SSN?

How do you apply without a SSN?

Thanks!

WALLET: Amex BCP 25K | Barclay Arrival Plus 27K | Chase Reserve 20K |
Amex SimplyCash 50K

FICO: EX 812 | EQ 815 | TU 815
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.