Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No luck with NFCU

tag
keithbward
Frequent Contributor

No luck with NFCU

Had my cashRewards and Flagship rewards for about 5 months now and haven't been successful with credit limit increases. Was originally approved for the cashRewards with a 10k limit and then split it between that and the Flagship at 5k a piece. Massive usage and massive payments. I think it's because i have many new accounts this year and my balance always ends up reporting close to 50% for each card because of the autopayments that are attached to them. I've earned lots of cash back and rewards points via my spends but still no increase. Should I pay them completely off and move the autopayments to another card and then give it a try or do you think I'll be better off at the 6 month mark?

Starting Scores - EX 547 || EQ 541 || TU 538 - 01/21/2014
Current Scores - EX 691 || EQ 628??? || TU 695 - 08/04/2015
Goal Scores - 720 across the board
Current Utilization - 12% and going down
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: No luck with NFCU

I was denied my first cli but was approved after card hit 6 months. So maybe try again then?
Message 2 of 4
Zorasmiles
Established Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
I was denied my first cli but was approved after card hit 6 months. So maybe try again then?

I'd tend to agree with baller but I would also change the auto payment so that when you do request a CLI, it's at least 72hrs after the payment has posted.  If possible I'd have a zero balance or less than 20% of available credit reporting at the time of request.  Some have had high balances and received CLI's but it appears lately NFCU has been changing up and not so consistent.  I'm amazed lately at some of their CLI's, CLI declines, new credit card approvals and requests--no rhyme or reason with their actions at times lately.  GL.

FICO scores are your calling card to the business world. Build a negative reputation and those doors are hard to open, find that perfect balance of credit responsibility and those doors open when you desire them.
Message 3 of 4
Techsavvy
Regular Contributor

Zorasmiles,

I would agree with you that NFCU is getting harder to figure out. I got approved for my Cash Rewards Visa Signature with a cl $7,500 on 10/1/14 then I requested an increase online for $15,000 on 11/21/14 and they countered with $12,500 and I gladly accepted. I also received a HP on EQ. I read that it's better to wait 3-6 months before requesting because you have better chances, but I took a chance and asked anyway, luckily it worked in my favor. 

Oh and my first payment had just posted, when I put through the request. 

Beginning credit score 3/13 TU 600, EX 601
Current scores 04/15 MYFICO TU 710, EX 699, EQ 663
NFCU Cash Rewards Signature Visa $12,500, Venture $10,000, Venture One $5000, BBVA NBA Amex $3,500, NFL Extra Points World Mastercard $2,500, Sallie Mae Rewards World Mastercard $2,500, Barclay's Reward Mastercard $5,300, Paypal Extras Platinum Mastercard $2,501, Capital One QSI $2,750, Merrick Visa $1100, Discover It $1000, Walmart $6,000, Kohl's $1000, VS $1450, Buckle $1250, Kingsized $1250, HSN $1150, Target $400, TJX Rewards $3500, Chevron $3500
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.