Did you mean: 

Official Credit Unions Guide

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: The Official Credit Unions Guide

@JoMellow wrote:
New Thread... cool!

App'd for the SDFCU credit card today; they sent a request for last 2 pay stubs. I sent a request to payroll so I should get them tomorrow & will scan it and find out my fate.

Also, for anyone interested in joining American Consumer Council (you definitely want to join) the cost is $zero with promo code "consumer". This code waives the fee to join.

I'm still interested in joining 1 or 2 more credit unions - one is UNFCU and the other is USSFCU.

Navy CashRrwards arrived today. It's a very grown up, err, mature looking card.

Thinking about closing our lone ''typical' bank account. Our banker gives us good personal service but their tellers and csr's are uninspiring. Our home loan is with them, but that will change within the next 18 or so months when we sell & buy a new home.

Thanks for the thread baller.. you always be ballin' up in here.

I laughed when I read that. I thought the same thing. I'll be less polite, its ugly.  

Ugly credit cards aside, NFCU is great, can't say enough good about them.

Credit Card: I am rebuilding, they gave me 9.9% and it went from 1k to 25k in 3 months.

Customer service: is personal and very nice; their banking is nice too (I am spoiled with TD Bank's one day to clear checks) athough a bit odd, they can hold payments for days (doesn't really effect me I pay early and often).  . 

PenFed gave me a 30k approval on a car loan (joint with wife with great credit) have done much else (may start in Jan). Great customer service. 

Message 21 of 624
JoMellow
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:
New Thread... cool!

App'd for the SDFCU credit card today; they sent a request for last 2 pay stubs. I sent a request to payroll so I should get them tomorrow & will scan it and find out my fate.

Also, for anyone interested in joining American Consumer Council (you definitely want to join) the cost is $zero with promo code "consumer". This code waives the fee to join.

I'm still interested in joining 1 or 2 more credit unions - one is UNFCU and the other is USSFCU.

Thinking about closing our lone ''typical' bank account. Our banker gives us good personal service but their tellers and csr's are uninspiring. Our home loan is with them, but that will change within the next 18 or so months when we sell & buy a new home.

Thanks for the thread baller.. you always be ballin' up in here.

I laughed when I read that. I thought the same thing. I'll be less polite, its ugly.  

Credit Card: I am rebuilding, they gave me 9.9% and it went from 1k to 25k in 3 months.

Customer service: is personal and very nice; their banking is nice too (I am spoiled with TD Bank's one day to clear checks) athough a bit odd, they can hold payments for days (doesn't really effect me I pay early and often).  . 

PenFed gave me a 30k approval on a car loan (joint with wife with great credit) have done much else (may start in Jan). Great customer service. 

Sallie Mae isn't going to be the first girl asked to prom either, but I love love love her!!  

Navy & PenFed are tops with their customer service for sure. 

SDFCU seems quite ok so far as well.  

Happy Credit'ing Smiley Happy 

Original Scores: EQ FICO 645, TU 672, EX FICO 663 (4/2014)
Current Scores: EQ FICO 824, TU 840, EX FICO 826 (3/2018)
Message 22 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

Senorita Baller wasn't elected the credit union queen she was born of noble Texas credit union blood and is now the feared Credit Union Red Queen. Smiley Wink

Message 23 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@JoMellow wrote:
New Thread... cool!

Agreed! I was only going to join 1 cu (in addition to my local Ohcu whom I've been with for 20 years) and it was a coin toss on the least ugliest card. Penfed prvs won! Then I kept reading NFCU approvals......their least ugliest card imo was flagship. So there you go! 😂

Penfed CU- savings (deposit once a month) and cc PRVS at 17.99% apr SL 7.5k in July 2016. 

NFCU- savings (deposit once a month) and cc FVS at 15.24% apr SL 10k in Sept 2016.

OHCU - savings and checking (local CU)

Message 24 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

Excellent idea, baller4! Smiley Happy

My credit unions:

1) BECU:

Great auto loan rates and expedient auto loan process, which allowed me to apply while at the dealership and drive the car home just two hours later. The auto loan manager at BECU went out of her way to ensure that everything was in order so I could drive home the same day. Fantastic!

Low interest 6.9% APR Visa card ( trying for that one next year). Very responsive customer service. Employees and managers consistently go out of their way to help you.

Need to be a WA state resident, a student attending a college in WA state, or have an eligible family member that lives or works in WA state.

BECU is the 4th largest credit union in the US, in terms of assets as well as membership.

* Mobile deposit into accounts is instant. *

PLOC Is fabulous as you can easily move PLOC funds between several accounts online or make PLOC payments just by using a dropdown menu.

One click of a button and money from your PLOC goes into several other accounts as you choose. I wish NFCU was structured this way.

Very low APR on PLOC for creditworthy customers.

Annual APR evaluation of all loans and credit for each member. BECU is very proactive about lowering your APR each year that your credit improves.

Soft pull to join BECU. Conservative as are many credit unions. They are not a fan of having a large amount of available credit or too many recent new accounts. They look at entire last 12 months for recent accounts.

Over 30,000 fee-free ATM's nationwide, and over 4,500 shared branch locations across the country.

High interest checking and savings - 4.07% on checking and 4.07% on savings under Member Advantage.

2) Alliant: 

Very responsive customer service. 0% APR Visa for purchases and BT for 18 months ( most offers are 12 months; mine is an 18 month offer).

Mobile deposit into accounts is instant.

Very, very conservative in starting limits for credit cards. They are not a fan of having a large amount of available credit or too many recent new accounts. They look at entire last 12 months for recent accounts.

Traditionally not open to recon of starting limits, due to being conservative.

Not open to recon of product denials for the same reason.

They use a weird system for scoring credit, resulting in them having a score for you that can be as much as 40-50 points lower than regular FICO 08 scores.

Alliant does not offer a PLOC nor a CLOC.

Soft pull to join Alliant.

I have an (unsecured) personal loan through them in addition to my credit card. Alliant allows you to prepay this loan for months in advance if you desire.  

The system advances the payment due date for you. The result is that I made 5 advance payments on the personal loan, and don't owe another payment until February! Smiley Happy Fabulous feature!

3) Navy Federal Credit Union (NFCU):

Exceptional 24/7 customer service. Rough onboarding process as accounts were frozen even after membership was approved, but NFCU has made up for that with stellar service.

Inconsistent awarding of credit limits at times - gave me a $6,300 SL, increased it to $24,000 instantly after 3 months. No change in credit score that would have supported the increase, but glad to have it and much appreciated!

Platinum card is at 11% APR.

Mobile account deposits are usually credited within 1-2 hours after deposit.

A large network of fee-free ATM's in their arsenal.

I have the CLOC, but don't plan to use it as the NFCU CLOC interest rates are much higher than those of my other credit union.

Very member-friendly organization in terms of willingness to help and assistance with exploring options.

If you wish to PC one of their cards, they have a valuable service that can tell you what your APR would be on the new card - even before you make the decision!

No obligation required to follow through with the PC, you can call just to determine rate. Nice feature.

Hard pull to join NFCU.

2nd card request may be accompanied by a POI request.

Message 25 of 624
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

I'll chime in with the few I do or have done business with...

DCU ~ I have the savings account that gives 3.04% APR on the first $500....so that's all I keep in there.  I refi'd my DH truck with them a little over 2 yrs ago with their 2nd chance car loan (4.24%) that every 6 mos of on time payments drops your rate by .25% up to a total of 1.5%. So now my rate is 2.74% for the remaining 20 mos which is awesome that they do this.  I'm sorry I don't remember what CRA they pulled for membership/loan.  I live in TX and they do have a network of shared branches to use locally for deposits and pymts.  I did everything for the auto loan online/email/phone, pretty simply process.  My scores were in the mid-high 600's when I app'd.

Texans CU ~ geo restricted to North Texas counties.  Have had 2 auto loans in the past with them.  Had them as my main bank (checking, savings) up until I opened acct with RBFCU in Jan. So so customer service and nothing great about their credit products either.  Let dealership find my financing on those 2 loans which is how I ended up with them.

CU of Texas ~ also geo restricted to North Texas counties.  Currently have just the min deposit in a share acct and my lease through them.  5% interest rate on lease (score was 694 at the time) would have been 4% if my score was 700 Smiley Mad they wouldn't make exception with it being so close. Pretty sure the triple pulled.  Loved the lease process, I told them what I wanted and they negotiated everything for me, I just showed up to dealership, picked out my color and signed.  None of their credit products seem to have any WOW factor though.

RBFCU ~ Based out of Austin/San Antonio, but have branches sprinkled throughout TX.  Joined in Jan, opened checking, savings, and Premier rate CC (9.95%) asked for 15K, approved.  Should have gotten a PLOC with the same HP but I didn't think I needed it at the time. HP was TU for membership and CC.  Switched to making them my primary bank after a test run of a couple months.  Love the customer service, that branches are open til 4pm on Sat, and that mobile deposits are credited within 24 hrs (on business days).  They also give you .10 cash back on every debit card swipe.  It accrues throughout the yr and is deposited annually into your acct.

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 26 of 624
baller4life
Super Contributor

Re: Official Credit Unions Guide

@FroggieMom RBFCU and I were once friends. And then we were not.....😞......😂 Another CU that felt I had too much available credit. Deuces Randolph Brooks! ✌

@humu I SO forgot about Alliant's awesome instant mobile and ATM deposits feature! Thanks for the reminder. I will update my post! 😄

Message 27 of 624
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

Baller... I thought I remembered us posting on another thread helping a fellow MyFicoer with her apps to RBFCU and that you were a big fan.  I'm good with the 15K limit straight out of the gate, I knew to aim high from the boards here saying CLI are HP.  Just wish I would have known at the time the PLOC are hidden TL Smiley Sad  My only strange issue with them was my debit card fraud that I posted about in the GC back in August.  

Did you try and get a CLI or did they AA you when you learned you had "too much available credit" 

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 28 of 624
baller4life
Super Contributor

@FroggieMom wrote:

Baller... I thought I remembered us posting on another thread helping a fellow MyFicoer with her apps to RBFCU and that you were a big fan.  I'm good with the 15K limit straight out of the gate, I knew to aim high from the boards here saying CLI are HP.  Just wish I would have known at the time the PLOC are hidden TL Smiley Sad  My only strange issue with them was my debit card fraud that I posted about in the GC back in August.  

Did you try and get a CLI or did they AA you when you learned you had "too much available credit" 

Yep I USED to be a big fan! Until I actually had my own dealings with them. I waited a very long time till my TU was spotless to join. Then when I did join I was denied for Chexsystems inqs. The max they allow is 5. I had 7. LOL. So I called and got special permission from a mgr to join. But, she needed me to go to a branch to show id. With no branches in Houston, I drove in a STORM to Gonzales branch outside of San Antonio. Got membership all set up thru video chat. Then apped cc. DENIED! Excessive available credit! At the time I hadn't even broken $200k. If they could only see me now! 😂😂 Apped PLOC. DENIED! Same reason.

So, I leave with tail between my legs. VERY disappointed since I had waited so long to join. And was so excited about it. So, then right before my hp would expire, I apped auto refi. APPROVED!! Lowest apr of 1.65%. EXCELLENTE!! Only to have the approval rescinded because they didn't like my 1099 income. Excuse me what? Being I am an independent contractor and can write off mileage on taxes, they went by my AGI instead of gross income. And denied me. I was LIVID!! 

So, after emailing and talking to multiple supervisors, mgrs who clearly understood and agreed with me. They could not overturn it since it is their policy to use net income. They are the ONLY CU,bank,loan company that has ever denied me based on my income. While on phone with the last RBFCU rep, I asked them to please close my membership. THE END

Message 29 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

This about sums up Ballers experience with RBFCU! 

Message 30 of 624
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.