Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official Credit Unions Guide

tag
JoMellow
Established Contributor

Re: Official Credit Unions Guide

Official SDFCU Visa starting limit: $500.00

So I called and spoke to the nicest guy in their lending department (703-706-5116) and he confirmed their counteroffer and said that due to my egyptianism and amount of open unsecured credit that was all they would offer. He also said that it was strictly based on amount of new accounts and number of inquiries and not reflective of my credit score. Use it for gas and pay it off, build a relationship with them, give it six months, call back, they will review for a larger limit (with another HP). 

I'm ok with this - because yeah - I do have a lot of new accounts and a lot of available credit.

I guess I'll grab a hoe and get to it.

Original Scores: EQ FICO 645, TU 672, EX FICO 663 (4/2014)
Current Scores: EQ FICO 824, TU 840, EX FICO 826 (3/2018)
Message 91 of 624
baller4life
Super Contributor

@JoMellow wrote:

Official SDFCU Visa starting limit: $500.00

So I called and spoke to the nicest guy in their lending department (703-706-5116) and he confirmed their counteroffer and said that due to my egyptianism and amount of open unsecured credit that was all they would offer. He also said that it was strictly based on amount of new accounts and number of inquiries and not reflective of my credit score. Use it for gas and pay it off, build a relationship with them, give it six months, call back, they will review for a larger limit (with another HP). 

I'm ok with this - because yeah - I do have a lot of new accounts and a lot of available credit.

I guess I'll grab a hoe and get to it.

LMAO!! Well looks like you need to stop building pyramids and put that hoe to work! 😂😂

Congrats on your new card. I'm confident it will grow.

Message 92 of 624
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@baller4life wrote:
Ok folks. Any recent data on GTE Financial, Lake Michigan CU and Logix? Any current members here?

I am member of Lake Michigan CU and GTE Financial for more than a year now. They both are very very conservative. 

I have both savings and checking and direct deposit with them for a year, but never got any pre-approvals on any of their products despite being having clean profile!!

Both use chex system for membership. GTE uses EQ, LMCU uses TR.

Thank you very much. LMCU has super high checking rates last I saw. But, I have always heard they are extremely hard to get an approval with. I was hoping that had loosened up like Penfed! Oh well....lol.

I guess Consumer Credit Union has best checking too - https://www.myconsumers.org/personal/checking/free-rewards-checking.html 

Consumers is a TU puller.

Try Consumers Credit Union's Free Rewards Checking account, an interest bearing checking account that pays up to 4.59% Annual Percentage Yield (APY) on balances up to $20,000! This is one of the highest interest rates you'll find for checking accounts nationwide.

Wow that is amazing

Message 93 of 624
baller4life
Super Contributor

WHAT THE?!?!?!?!?!?

Why hasn't this been more talked about here? OMG!!!
Message 94 of 624
JoMellow
Established Contributor

We'll see how it goes in a few years.

Thanks for all the help and insight and encouragement.  Here's to the 100 credit union journey! Smiley Very Happy

Original Scores: EQ FICO 645, TU 672, EX FICO 663 (4/2014)
Current Scores: EQ FICO 824, TU 840, EX FICO 826 (3/2018)
Message 95 of 624
baller4life
Super Contributor

@JoMellow you are very welcomed! I do what I can!

Well looks like I will be joining Consumers next folks! 😆

Message 96 of 624
CreditDunce
Valued Contributor

CCU is definitively an intriguing FCU for someone with some savings.   I looked at them a while back.  There are some big hoops to go through to get the high interest checking.  The two big ones are at least 12 pin debit transactions and spending $1000 on the CC.  Amazon gift cards might work for the debit transactions, but it still means you have to be approved for the CC and use it every month.   Still it is a nice APR for a checking account.

IIRC there was a thread about someone wanting the CCU cash rewards card a while back.  They wanted it for the 3% grocery category.  At the time the cash back was unlimited and their local farm supply store was coded as grocery.  They were declined due to not having enough 10k+ lines. 

Message 97 of 624
Gmood1
Super Contributor

That's the only reason I haven't joined CCU..the hoops. Xcel has a lower rate but you only need 12 debit transactions regardless of the amount spent. It's much easier to meet the monthly requirements for folks that like using their CC's most of the time.

Blue federal CU is giving fantastic rates for 10 debit transactions and one ACH a month. You just have to build up to it. https://www.bluefcu.com
They use Chex system for membership and pull EX on products from what I could gather on their website.

Membership is open to anyone donating $5.00. You can also do direct deposit and 10 debit transactions to meet the 4.00% . They use a 3 tier scale to issue dividends on the high interest checking account.

Message 98 of 624
baller4life
Super Contributor

Thanks Gmood for the info. Even the 3.09% APY up to $10k is a excellent rate at CCU though. And it doesn't require their cc. Just 12 debit transactions and one ACH debit or direct deposit. That's pretty simple to do.

Message 99 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lots of good info posted here. It’s nice to hear about new credit unions.

I can agree with NFCU and Alliant being awesome. Excellen experience with both.

One great thing about Alliant is that they offer teen checking accounts for 13-17-year old’s. I plant to get my daughter one next year. She’s only 12 but has had a ING Direct/Capital One360 Money account for years. I hope by time she’s an adult she will have a very firm grasp of how to handle her money.

I look forward to seeing many new CU’s to put on the to-do list.

Message 100 of 624
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.