Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official Credit Unions Guide

tag
AllCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Official Credit Unions Guide

My notes for Golden 1 is that is a SP EX, however I have another note to check because somewhere it was questioned whether they allow credit products outside of CA.

Message 491 of 624
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

@AllCredit wrote:

My notes for Golden 1 is that is a SP EX, however I have another note to check because somewhere it was questioned whether they allow credit products outside of CA.

Thanks for the info! That seems to be the general consensus - that you can join through a backdoor (FFA I think) if you're outside of CA for banking, but credit products were only in state. Fortunately, I meet that requirement!

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 492 of 624
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Hanscom-Federal-Credit-Union-is-the-pits/td...

Apparently Hanscom uses FICO 2. And is also apparently "the pits". If their recount of the interaction is accurate, it actually wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a CU "lecturing" someone when they applied for credit. I do agree with their one point though - good feedback about the denial and how to improve future chances for approval is awesome, condescending lectures are not.

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 493 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bigpoppa09 wrote:

I seen it mentioned in this thread that DCU SP for membership has anyone joined recently can they confirm this?

I joined last week.  Called and confirmed with them the SP vs HP, first.  Checked my report afterwards and it is, indeed, a SP on EQ.  

Message 494 of 624
heyryan
Frequent Contributor

I've been working on a spreadsheet to organize some of the info in this thread, other places, and direct interaction with the CU.

It's only for CUs that are open to anyone (meaning you can join through an association regardless of employer, geolocation, etc), and it tells how to join (and I've tried to capture the cost if there is one), if there's a soft/hard pull, which bureau, if they reuse hard pulls, chex inquries & sensitivity, and rates for PLOC + CCs.

Here's the link to view it:

CU Info Spreadsheet

From here, you can filter on columns (for example only CUs that are soft pulls on Experian), or sort (maybe by CC interest rate).

If anyone has any data they think would be useful to add, or if you have any insights on the CUs, or if I'm missing any, please PM me and I'll be happy to update it!

Personal:

Business:

(TU Split File - FIXED!)
Message 495 of 624
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@heyryan wrote:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Hanscom-Federal-Credit-Union-is-the-pits/td...

Apparently Hanscom uses FICO 2. And is also apparently "the pits". If their recount of the interaction is accurate, it actually wouldn't be the first time I've heard of a CU "lecturing" someone when they applied for credit. I do agree with their one point though - good feedback about the denial and how to improve future chances for approval is awesome, condescending lectures are not.

Hanscom says that they don't consider the credit score in granting credit, just in determining what interest rate to assign.

From my experience they're very tough on unsecured credit; they seemed to want to push me towards a home equity line of credit.

They rejected me -- twice -- only because I have lots of credit from other institutions, which seems like a pretty dumb reason to me. They also questioned me both about (a) why I had opened new credit lines and (b) why I had closed some of my credit lines. It seems pretty obvious that I opened new credit lines because I wanted better credit offerings, and closed some of my credit lines because I'd replaced them with the new, better ones.

They strike me as the type of organization where a few people sit in a room, making the decisions, and talking to each other without listening to their customers and the outside world.

Chase saw fit to grant me a $33k card, PenFed a $38,500 card, but Hanscom is too good for me.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 496 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heyryan wrote:

If anyone has any data they think would be useful to add, or if you have any insights on the CUs, or if I'm missing any, please PM me and I'll be happy to update it!

heyryan,

I think you've put together a pretty nice spreadsheet there.  Thanks for sharing!  While viewing, I couldn't help but wonder about two things, though: 1) might you be willing to include (or allow access for others to add, even if on page 2 info for banks/cu that aren't open to the public) a column that could be as simple as being titled "open to public" and yes/no as the answer ... this way, if it offers something of interest, then someone could go look up if they qualify/how, so that banks/cu with better offers than those listed here could be included in the filter search; and 2) a column with a brief description as to what makes that particular bank/cu so special.  For example, from my own research (mostly reading on the boards), I know alliant is great for SSLs, especially if you don't have an installment loan on your report.  I also know that DCU is great for savings accounts up to $750, so I've opened accounts for our family there.  But aside from seeing the lowest cc and ploc rates, I'm not sure if there's a different reason for applying for these particular banks/cu, and so it would be nice to have a column with a little detail about what's of interest there.  

Aside from optimizing rates, perhaps, I'm not sure why else someone may want to have membership to a long list of CUs.  Anyone?

Message 497 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Aside from optimizing rates, perhaps, I'm not sure why else someone may want to have membership to a long list of CUs.  Anyone?

@humuhumunukunukuapua'a wrote:

Diversification.

Message 498 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so far....

I think many are in agreement with joining Navy (NFCU) and PenFed for their Bk Friendly attitudes, great LOC, loans and very healthy CC SL and/or CLI. NFCU needs to improve their deposit funds availability schedule and the ACH push and pull. Navy improve on these points and I'll never look at or love another, promise. All I want is overnight availability on mobile deposits up to 5k and equally fast push or pulls on money from other institutions. 

Ah, so I think this is the correct thread for me to pose my question. I joined NF last weekend and planned on banking with them exclusively, but because there aren't any branches near me or share co-ops, I was hesitant to give up my Chase and OCCU accounts. (I don't care for spreading my money across too many accounts)

I haven't been a member for long, but I already LOVE their customer service. They're so much better than Chase (scoff) and OCCU combined. But I've been seeing members say that their ACH/avabilability of funds needs work. Is this still the case? I wouldn't want to set up a bill pay and have my payment be late because my bank is slow.

Loving everything so far. Their customer service is great.

Message 499 of 624
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so far....

I think many are in agreement with joining Navy (NFCU) and PenFed for their Bk Friendly attitudes, great LOC, loans and very healthy CC SL and/or CLI. NFCU needs to improve their deposit funds availability schedule and the ACH push and pull. Navy improve on these points and I'll never look at or love another, promise. All I want is overnight availability on mobile deposits up to 5k and equally fast push or pulls on money from other institutions. 

Ah, so I think this is the correct thread for me to pose my question. I joined NF last weekend and planned on banking with them exclusively, but because there aren't any branches near me or share co-ops, I was hesitant to give up my Chase and OCCU accounts. (I don't care for spreading my money across too many accounts)

I haven't been a member for long, but I already LOVE their customer service. They're so much better than Chase (scoff) and OCCU combined. But I've been seeing members say that their ACH/avabilability of funds needs work. Is this still the case? I wouldn't want to set up a bill pay and have my payment be late because my bank is slow.

Loving everything so far. Their customer service is great.

This is indeed still the case - If you use a shared branch ATM to make a deposit, it takes a week to clear.  They only allow you to ACH push, never pull.  and I've noticed that transfers I've pushed from them take longer to post that the same transaction pulled from the other bank.

So yes, not a great choice for a 'main' checking bank...but they've got great service and loan products, so I'm staying  Smiley Wink

Message 500 of 624
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.