Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official NFCU CLI Guide

tag
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

Re: Can we have "OFFICIAL NFCU CLI - HOW IT WORKS!"

I app'd for a NavChek account back in Mar or Apr I believe and was approved for $2k. Then in mid May, too scared of them telling me "No" for the max $15k, I app'd for a $5k increase instead and they gave it to me. My NavChek limit is now sitting at $7k. YMMV, but that's my experience with it. 

@starry1 wrote:

I got a new navchek last Thursday and they gave me the $2.5k I asked for.  How long do I wait before hitting them up for some luv?  Six months or so?

Starting Score: 686 TU / 683 EQ 01/17/2013
Current Score: 703 TU / 691 EQ 10/04/2013 / 688 EX 11/12/2013
Goal Score: 700 across all three

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 411 of 5,746
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

@GCM415 wrote:

I've already waited 90 days. I've put like 8k though the card and paid off pretty much all of it every month. No way to recon a CLI with Navy?  Anyone know?

Wait a little longer. NFCU is a generous CU to do business with. What you don't want is to have a bagillion unnecessary HP's when you can wait about a month or two more to get a CLI with a SP. 

I'm a good example. Just over a month and a half ago, my three cards with them were sitting at $14k or $15k each. Actually, more like $15k each. We'll say that and I'd pretty much hit my internal limit as far as what NFCU felt comfortable exposing themselves to for me. I requested CLI's within hours of each other and no dice. Then last month, I decided to hit the luv button on my Cash Rewards card and bam, increased from $15k-$17.5k. They wouldn't budge on my NRewards cards. So fast forward to mid Jun. I decided to send a secure message and ask for a rate reduction and to also ask if I'm at my internal limit for my NRewards cards as they both sat at $15k while my Cash Rewards card got bumped to $17.5k (my previous experience with them is that if one gets opened up for a CLI, the others are open for up to the exact same amount). They granted the rate reduction and responded that if I wanted an increase on my NRewards cards I would need to apply for it. Well me being scared of another denial, I left it alone.

Last week, just to see if anything's changed or if they'd opened up my two NRewards cards for CLI's...Bam...They did. So now, all three of my CC's with NFCU have $17.5k limits and my NavChek that I mentioned earlier was bumped to $7k as well. They are funky with how they do things. But just because they say "No" today, doesn't mean they won't be willing a little later. Be patient.

Message 412 of 5,746
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Are you not taking HP's each CLI on NavCheck?? Why would you not ask for the full $15k??? they COUNTER! Smiley Happy

congrats all around for the other success though... hope you asked for $25k and got countered the $17k on the credit cards too.

Message 413 of 5,746
Sweets8E
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

Are you not taking HP's each CLI on NavCheck?? Why would you not ask for the full $15k??? they COUNTER! Smiley Happy

congrats all around for the other success though... hope you asked for $25k and got countered the $17k on the credit cards too.

I'm a wuss. I didn't ask for the full $15k on the NavChek. Heck, I didn't even ask for the full $25k on the cards. I asked for $19k on the Cash Rewards and they countered with $17.5k which led me to believe that was the magic number so that's what I asked for on the others. 

Message 414 of 5,746
tcrutchf
Valued Member

I just opened up my checking and savings today. From what I have read, that means they probably did a TU HP? I would love to app for a CC, but I'm scared!! My scores have only been in the 600's for a few weeks. I've been paying down/off my CC's to prepare to app for a mortgage in October. My util is currently at 24% overall, but it isn't reporting at that yet. I think it's reporting at about 40%. Most of my store cards are now paid off. A decent CL on a new CC would improve my util. I have a BK7 discharged in 2009. A paid collection from 2010 that escaped the BK. Only other baddies since BK are 10 separate SL accounts (that I have since consolidated) that reported lates early last year when I didn't realize my deferments had expired. What are my chances of getting a decent CL and should I wait until later in the month when my util is lower? Should I expect a score boost from the new CC after just a few months if I keep the util very low. BTW, my income is $56000 and my AAoA is 6 plus years. A new card won't hit that very hard. All of my cards are 2-3 years old, except for my CareCredit and Cap 1 Cash Rewards that are only a couple months old. I have 3 EQ HP's this year. I just don't want to do anything that will jeopardize my mortgage app in October, but really need to get my score up. My overall util will be under 10% by October. Thanks for any advice.

Chapter 13 Discharge - October 27, 2021
Current FICO 8 scores: Experian-689 Equifax-676 TransUnion-656
Message 415 of 5,746
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@tcrutchf wrote:

I just opened up my checking and savings today. From what I have read, that means they probably did a TU HP? I would love to app for a CC, but I'm scared!! My scores have only been in the 600's for a few weeks. I've been paying down/off my CC's to prepare to app for a mortgage in October. My util is currently at 24% overall, but it isn't reporting at that yet. I think it's reporting at about 40%. Most of my store cards are now paid off. A decent CL on a new CC would improve my util. I have a BK7 discharged in 2009. A paid collection from 2010 that escaped the BK. Only other baddies since BK are 10 separate SL accounts (that I have since consolidated) that reported lates early last year when I didn't realize my deferments had expired. What are my chances of getting a decent CL and should I wait until later in the month when my util is lower? Should I expect a score boost from the new CC after just a few months if I keep the util very low. BTW, my income is $56000 and my AAoA is 6 plus years. A new card won't hit that very hard. All of my cards are 2-3 years old, except for my CareCredit and Cap 1 Cash Rewards that are only a couple months old. I have 3 EQ HP's this year. I just don't want to do anything that will jeopardize my mortgage app in October, but really need to get my score up. My overall util will be under 10% by October. Thanks for any advice.

I'd take it now because then it will be the oldest possible for mortgage and I bet you would see a very nice CL and a score jump from it!!

You considering them for your mortgage? they might not look at new credit if it's with them the same way others mightSmiley Tongue

a NavCheck might be great option too... $15k they seem to love giving those out and for the full $15k, people seem to just be scared to ask for the full amount and Navy counters!

Message 416 of 5,746
kilj0y
Regular Contributor

Yeah don't be afraid, I asked for credit limits on 2 cards and got approved for $12.5k on both of them (asked for $25k countered at 12.5) then apped for a navcheck $15k and was approved for the whole $15k. 

Message 417 of 5,746
tcrutchf
Valued Member

If I app for both accounts is it 2 separate HP's? Do you think my CL would be at least $5K? Does it matter which card?

Message 418 of 5,746
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@tcrutchf wrote:

If I app for both accounts is it 2 separate HP's? Do you think my CL would be at least $5K? Does it matter which card?

yes and yes and id apply for cash unless you plan to use it as main card and enough to make it worth it then flagship for the 2%

Message 419 of 5,746
tcrutchf
Valued Member

Thank you for the advice! I was approved for the $12,000 I asked for on the NavCheck. I guess I should have asked for the whole $15,000! I got the 3-5 day message on the CC. It's crazy that my CL's almost doubled overnight with one account added. Smiley Happy

Message 420 of 5,746
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.