Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opened account at Credit Union - Denied Credit Card with 711 score

tag
bmartinta
Established Member

Opened account at Credit Union - Denied Credit Card with 711 score

So I opened up an account with a local credit union here in Colorado. I knew going in that they were going to do a hard pull to open the account and they told me they could submit an application for a Credit Card under the same pull. I was denied and wasnt even offered a lower limit. My score came in at 711 through Experian. I havnt used any form of credit since I paid off my auto loan back in January 2016. The only blimish are 2 late payments from 2011 and 2014. I wanted to open up a card to get start some new credit history. I am not really upset I was denied, but I have a question about applying for another card. I was told that I was denied because 1) I was a brand new member, and 2) I lacked sufficient history. I am 32 and have had 2 auto loans, and one secured card that have all been paid in full and closed. I did have some nasty stuff on there, but that has all dropped off and no longer shows up. I also have about $13k in student loans that have all been paid on time since 2012. My question is; will the denial hurt me if I apply for a more reasonable card since it was done under the hard pull for the membership? They told me that it would not show up as 2 separate hard pulls. I am wondering if I am okay to fire off another application for a different card outside of the credit union. My salary is $60k and my only payments are my rent and student loans totalling about $1,000/month. Any advice?

Thanks so much.

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opened account at Credit Union - Denied Credit Card with 711 score

Your FICO8 score would be massively improved if you had here open credit cards reporting and one open installment loan reporting.

We promote the Alliant SSL Technique here which is cheap and easy to get (no inquiry) and it reports for up to 5 years: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

Then get two decent secured cards from Capital One and Discover or better yet check their prequalify pages for unsecured options. Get 3 credit cards reporting.

In 6-12 months you'll qualify for most things.
Message 2 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just noticed your student loans are still open, so no need to do the Alliant technique as it won't help at all. Just focus on getting and aging three decent cards. Ask here before applying as some rebuilder cards are predatory in fees!
Message 3 of 24
bmartinta
Established Member

So basically since I dont have any credit card history on my report, it will be hard for be to get approved for other cards even though I have a decent score? I had two credit cards that were charged off in 2010 that finally fell off my report this year. So while the slate has been whiped clean, I dont have much other credit history to show for other than my auto loans which were both paid off long ago. Guess Ill go the secured route for a few months and see what happens. I dont really need a credit card, just thinking about keeping up with my credit in case I want to buy a house in the next few years.

Message 4 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bmartinta wrote:

So I opened up an account with a local credit union here in Colorado. I knew going in that they were going to do a hard pull to open the account and they told me they could submit an application for a Credit Card under the same pull. I was denied and wasnt even offered a lower limit. My score came in at 711 through Experian. I havnt used any form of credit since I paid off my auto loan back in January 2016. The only blimish are 2 late payments from 2011 and 2014. I wanted to open up a card to get start some new credit history. I am not really upset I was denied, but I have a question about applying for another card. I was told that I was denied because 1) I was a brand new member How come they didnt tell you that? knowing you would get denied for for this reason!, and 2) I lacked sufficient history You said you havent used any type of credit since 2016, that's the reason why. I am 32 and have had 2 auto loans, and one secured card that have all been paid in full and closed. I did have some nasty stuff on there, but that has all dropped off and no longer shows up. I also have about $13k in student loans that have all been paid on time since 2012. My question is; will the denial hurt me if I apply for a more reasonable card since it was done under the hard pull for the membership? They told me that it would not show up as 2 separate hard pulls. I am wondering if I am okay to fire off another application for a different card outside of the credit union. My salary is $60k and my only payments are my rent and student loans totalling about $1,000/month. Any advice?

Thanks so much.

What are your scores for all CRAs?

I think you should be ok in the 700 range across the board. What card are you looking for? cash back? travel?

Message 5 of 24
bmartinta
Established Member

My scores are 719 EQ, 688 TU, and 703 Ex. Credit Union said they pulled from Experian and it came back at 711. I honestly dont really care what kind of card I have. I would like to put a portion of a medical debt I have on a card. I am currently paying them $129/mo, but I would like to switch that over to a credit card and just pay off the balance on the card. So maybe something with a $2500 limit or even lower for emergencies. I just dont want to waste my time or hurt my score even more by applying for another one after I was just denied under the Credit Union pull.
Message 6 of 24
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Disocver and Amex love thin and clean profiles.. Check their pre-qual sites.  Get two cards to start out then let those grow for 6-12 months then you pretty much can get whatever you want.  You are just having issues due to no open CC accounts.  Certains lenders want to see this others don't really give a crud.

discover most likely will pull EQ and amex will pull Exp if you decide to Apply.  Of course Cap1 is always an option as well.

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bmartinta wrote:
My scores are 719 EQ, 688 TU, and 703 Ex. Credit Union said they pulled from Experian and it came back at 711. I honestly dont really care what kind of card I have. I would like to put a portion of a medical debt I have on a card. I am currently paying them $129/mo, but I would like to switch that over to a credit card and just pay off the balance on the card. So maybe something with a $2500 limit or even lower for emergencies. I just dont want to waste my time or hurt my score even more by applying for another one after I was just denied under the Credit Union pull.

If you put it on a card, you will be paying interest...unless you get a card wiht $0 interest for xx amount of months.

Message 8 of 24
thummel
Established Contributor

What credit union is it? I am a member of a lot of the credit unions currently in Colorado.
Message 9 of 24
bmartinta
Established Member

It is Bellco.
Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.