Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PENFED Customer service really rude....

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PENFED Customer service really rude....

So I apped for and was denied the Promise Card for the reason of "too many cards with balances" but that just isn't true!   I have 2 cards with balances and utilization below 15% at all times.  So, I called and the customer service rep was VERY rude to me for no reason.  I literally am thinking about closing the account that I opened today because of it.

She wouldn't listen to me when I was trying to tell her that isn't the case and kept trying to explain to me what it meant, speaking down to me as if I was a child.  I said but that isn't the truth!  She then put me on hold for like 10 minutes saying she was going to have someone look at it.  Came back and started spitting off that I had all these balances on accounts that I don't even have!! I said those aren't mine and she raised her voice to me and said they were.  I know my credit profile like the back of my hand and they were not mine!  I asked her how I would recon, she said "Its not worth it, you're denied but if you want to send a letter and maybe the board will reconsider"

What?!  Who can I call about this?! I am not ok with this kind of treatment!!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: PENFED Customer service really rude....

That is very unlike PenFed.  How much have your scores changed since the ones in your signature?  Perhaps the accounts with balance refers to the accounts included in bankruptcy?  Have you pulled your 3 reports (particularly Equifax) very recently to  double-check that everything is current and correct?  Did you speak only with a CSR or did you actually speak with a loan officer, their version of a credit analyst who is empowered to make lending decisions?

Message 2 of 14
creditmonger
Contributor

OP. Your scores are in the mid 400's. What were you expecting?  

BK13 DC 12/15. 740 scores/18 inqs (about)
VentureOne 28K. Marvel MC 25K. PFCU: Promise 19K; PLOC 10K; Rewards 5K.
NFCU: Plat 15K; Flagship 15K; CLOC 10K
Barclays Aviator 12K; Jet Blue $500 (for the miles).
BOA 8K. Discover 10K/5K. 5/3 10K. PPC 7K
PPMC 10K. TD Ameritrade $1500
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

That is very unlike PenFed.  How much have your scores changed since the ones in your signature?  Perhaps the accounts with balance refers to the accounts included in bankruptcy?  Have you pulled your 3 reports (particularly Equifax) very recently to  double-check that everything is current and correct?  Did you speak only with a CSR or did you actually speak with a loan officer, their version of a credit analyst who is empowered to make lending decisions?

Not to bash the OP but I feel like there's one of two reasons for this... 

1) It gets irritating to listen to a customer back talk when the rep is only relaying information given to them by another party. In this case, there's nothing the rep can do but give the information. It's the OP's job to either send the letter or check their reports for fraudulent activity. 

When I was denied for a PenFed credit card, the rep talked to an underwriter, and then came back with the reason(s) for denial (it was actually only one) and I politely said, "I understand," and then we proceeded with the remainder of the call about another subject I had an inqury about... In this case the rep was extremely nice. I didn't press on about how my accounts weren't too new or anything like that. 

2) In addition to the above, Penfed's reps are extremely overworked, and you can tell when it takes over 10 minutes for one to get you on the line when you call. Perhaps being overworked is getting a little tiresome and stressful for some of their employees. 

So in addition to the above, add point #1 in with #2, and that is probably what happened. When a lender tells you no, a front line customer service rep doesn't want to hear you press on about how you deserve the credit because they had nothing to do with the institution's decision. 

I'm not bashing you, OP, but I'm sticking up for Penfed here, and this is someone who frequently dislikes front line CSR's. 

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

My trick with PenFed is to call exactly 10 minutes after they open.  I then ask the rep to hold on for 3 seconds so i can finish pouring my cup of coffee.  Usually that is followed up with them saying "no problem, I am enjoying my first cup of coffee right now as well".  Then with the ice broken and a shared experience established the two of us have a pleasant cup of coffee together over our morning discussion. 

That said, PenFed does not typically crafting the phrases of those those reasons that are impacting your score.  They are simply copying the quoted reasons from FICO and most of the FICO explanations are absolutely terribly worded.  With a credit score in the low-mid 400s FICO likely just threw the kitchen sink at them.

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I feel your pain (not necessarily with PenFed); I have encountered bad service in a lot of places lately and it is frustrating and unacceptable. But if you were not getting anywhere with this CSR and you felt they were rude, you need to ask for a supervisor next time. 

You should wait for a survey to come out. It has been stated here in the forums that when denied they will send out a survey. You can indicate on the survey that you were disappointed with the declined application and that you were shocked by the customer service you received when you called. Generally when a less than stellar survey is received, a PenFed employee will reach out to you to see what can be done. 

A poster above me indicated that the CSR may have been tired and overworked and I second that. I believe that everybody at some point in their lives should have to work customer service; should have to work at a grocery store retrieving the grocery carts and should have to work retail constantly folding clothes etc that people just messed up and left behind. When you have worked any of these jobs you tend to have empathy for the other person and can better understand them. I am not saying we should put up with bad service, but maybe there are better ways to communicate with them to get the information you need. As K stated, PenFed is usually known for good service so it could have been that one rep or that rep had a really, really bad day and unfortunately the two of you did not effectively communicate. 

Having said that and I'm not trying to pick on you; but...you just filed bky last year; I know that PenFed has loosened their standards as of late but I would think only a year out of bky this card could be too lofty for you and also; they may have done you a favour..the Promise card is as worthless as they come-at least a Chase Slate, Citi Diamond Preferred or BankAmericard can be PCed to something better once their balance transfer rates expire-the Promise can't. 

Above all else, you have the choice to move on from PenFed to a CU that will treat you better, maybe a smaller, local one. I am not really impressed with PenFed as of late (raising lending rates, not touching saving rates and rather bleh products-but then maybe my other credit unions have spoiled me). About the only thing I really am interested in PenFed anymore is the used car loan rate for 48 months; my other CUs beat PenFed on every other lending rate.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you really think I'm daft enough to try PENFED with the scores that I had?  All scores are 690+ FICO across all three credit reports.  15% or less utilization, very minimal inquiries, clean report from BK, 1 year of positive and multiple accounts reporting great.  Funny enough Discover instantly approved me for $17.1k today and I burned them in BK also NFCU approved me for 15k instantly, BOA for 7.5k instantly and Cap1 5k instantly!  So PENFED can fub off with their horrible customer service. 

I was not rude in the least to the CSR, but she blatantly lied and said I had accounts that I didn't, said I have student loans that I don't, and an auto loan reporting late when I have no auto loans.  She lied.  She also refused to let me speak with an underwriter (or the similar to them).  I totally get being tired and overworked but lying is not ok! Treating customers bad is not ok!

I did call back and talked with a manager, who was very nice.  I decided to keep my account with them, for now.  But I decided to back out of wiring a large chunk of money into the account, something the manager was not happy about because of the CSR's actions.  I wouldn't feel comfortable placing funds like that.

Message 7 of 14
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So, I feel your pain (not necessarily with PenFed); I have encountered bad service in a lot of places lately and it is frustrating and unacceptable. But if you were not getting anywhere with this CSR and you felt they were rude, you need to ask for a supervisor next time. 

You should wait for a survey to come out. It has been stated here in the forums that when denied they will send out a survey. You can indicate on the survey that you were disappointed with the declined application and that you were shocked by the customer service you received when you called. Generally when a less than stellar survey is received, a PenFed employee will reach out to you to see what can be done. 

A poster above me indicated that the CSR may have been tired and overworked and I second that. I believe that everybody at some point in their lives should have to work customer service; should have to work at a grocery store retrieving the grocery carts and should have to work retail constantly folding clothes etc that people just messed up and left behind. When you have worked any of these jobs you tend to have empathy for the other person and can better understand them. I am not saying we should put up with bad service, but maybe there are better ways to communicate with them to get the information you need. As K stated, PenFed is usually known for good service so it could have been that one rep or that rep had a really, really bad day and unfortunately the two of you did not effectively communicate. 

Having said that and I'm not trying to pick on you; but...you just filed bky last year; I know that PenFed has loosened their standards as of late but I would think only a year out of bky this card could be too lofty for you and also; they may have done you a favour..the Promise card is as worthless as they come-at least a Chase Slate, Citi Diamond Preferred or BankAmericard can be PCed to something better once their balance transfer rates expire-the Promise can't. 

Above all else, you have the choice to move on from PenFed to a CU that will treat you better, maybe a smaller, local one. I am not really impressed with PenFed as of late (raising lending rates, not touching saving rates and rather bleh products-but then maybe my other credit unions have spoiled me). About the only thing I really am interested in PenFed anymore is the used car loan rate for 48 months; my other CUs beat PenFed on every other lending rate.

SOT: A 17 y/o young woman I used to work with--her mother was a successful realtor. She was showing me a house one time and we got to talking about her family. She told me when all of her kids turned 17 she made them go wait tables at Shoney's for the exact reasons you stated...and it would be good training for later in life dealing with the public.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 8 of 14
steelers1
Frequent Contributor

Honestly, You shouldn't even be talking to frontline csr's about your credit report or a recon.

You should of just asked for the e-mail address to send a recon.

You would of been in touch with the decision makers and then you could of stated your case.

Message 9 of 14
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was not rude in the least to the CSR, but she blatantly lied and said I had accounts that I didn't, said I have student loans that I don't, and an auto loan reporting late when I have no auto loans.  She lied. 

I doubt that she lied (especially blatantly!) What reason would a CSR have to do that, making up accounts you didn't have?   She obviously had the wrong information, and, at worst, didn't take the effort to check when you indicated something was wrong.   But I would bet that a lot of people with real derogs also deny them in a similar situation, so she may not have believed you (as the computer is always right).    

Which for you is indeed bad service, but not lying.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.