cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Amex Patfinder denial + suggestion?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PenFed Amex Patfinder denial + suggestion?

Evening everybody

Recently became a member over at PenFed, excited to keep growing my credit profile. I applied for the Amex Pathfinder and was denied. Reason being limited credit history. When I called for more information, told them I had new credit cards that have not yet reported to the bureaus. Said they only pull Equifax and that theres no way for me to show evidence that I have those cards.

Anyway, CSR suggested I get an installment loan (lowest they do is $250) and said that even though it wouldn't bump my score too much it would help with credit history.

So my question is, is it worth it to improve my relationship with them? My profile is as follows:

TU FICO8 728
EX FICO8 732
EQ FICO8 738

AAoA: 4 years, 4 months

10 student loans (Deferred until after med school)

QS 5k, Amex Everyday $500 and Discover secured $200

Not sure if I should just wait for the cards to appear and then apply again. I am also waiting for the survey to send a recon letter.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Amex Patfinder denial + suggestion?

FNBO introduced the Travelite card last year which is pretty much identical to the Pathfinder. I didn't apply for the Travelite at the time and before long they stopped taking new applicants. Later they sent out targeted mailers to apply for the card some with, others without an annual fee. I kinda regret missing that one - then the Pathfinder came along, and I was fortunate enough to be approved. However, I still have 8 more cards in my application queue, and for me this was able to work out. But if you have more critical apps coming up like some 5/24 cards then apping for this card now may not make as much sense. But if you wait too long who knows if it'll be available? Based on these factors, you can decide when is the best time for you to apply, and if it's worth it to get one of those loans to help build your history for this purpose. I assume there's some kind of fee for the loan even if you pay it back before the first due date?
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.