Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed Denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PenFed Denial

Penfed is a fickle woman of a CU.  I started with them in the middle of my 13 with a $1k visa card.  That graduated up to $50k, and I was able to get two car loans with them for 3% interest.  Then I tried for a PLOC and my score had fallen a few points under their guidlines.  They wouldnt budge even though I have several thousand dollars of savings, several thousands of dollars of perfect loans/credit and several years of membership.  THEY WONT BUDGE.  Makes me want to refi and move all my money to another place.  The whole reason to be in a CU is for the more personal experience.  But they have turned into CHASE or dare I say BOA.  Its nice you can plead your case to an senior LO, but its pointless if they have no power to wiggle.  

I mean my income and job history are awesome and my BK is discharged.  But their guidlines....ROLLEYES.

Message 31 of 33
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@VelosterBEAR wrote:
It seems like PenFed just isn’t great when it comes rebuilding or at least not right off the bat. I figured I would give it a year and see how they respond the next time I apply for products.

In the meantime, I’ve been able to establish my relationship with NFCU and it’s paying off BIG TIME!

Some people have a really tough time with PenFed while others seem to have no issues. I'm one of those that didn't have issues.  I financed 2 cars and had over $15k in available credit across 2 cards with them 3 years into my 5 year BK13.  Never once did an underwriter question my BK.  They did occasionally mention my (at the time) constant opening of new cards.  But honestly, I was never denied anything from PenFed with my BK being the sole reason.

Now with that being said, I wouldn't recommend ANYONE go against the trustee in regards to opening new credit while in the process of a BK13.  It was, and I believe still is,  against the rules for most folks. I rolled the dice and it happened to work out for me.   The reward in the risk that I took was that I was well into my rebuild at time of discharge.  I took a gamble and was prepared to deal with the results of it had come to that.  However, I repeat, do not attempt to play game I played...looking back on it, it was very foolish when I did it...thankfully I walked away unscathed.  

Message 32 of 33
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went through that process and they still denied me.
Message 33 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.