Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PenFed questions

tag
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Re: PenFed questions

PenFed doesn't use f8...
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
F8 Current F8s ~750 Best Ever F8s ~775
TOTAL PERSONAL CL > $350k and TCL > $365k
Message 21 of 29
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Thanks musiclover. I'm very happy with how far things have come.

Now that I've established a few more positive trade lines I'm going to focus on removing negative items and see where that goes
PERSONAL; Amex | AOD FCU | BBVA | BECU | Capital 1 | Chase | Citi | Discover | Key | NFCU | PSECU | SECU MD | Synchrony | US Bank
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 22 of 29
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

wrote:
PenFed doesn't use f8...

who cares, F9 is almost always higher for most, hers was 818 for it initial pull.  go ahead and app, become your own datapoint

Message 23 of 29
Gmood1
Super Contributor

wrote:

the only statistic with a doctor that matters is ones own, same for datapoints with credit.  here is mine helping a friend last month with penfed.  $200K in income, F8s touching 800 on 3B and they would not give her a single $500 card.  I have one of my cars and a card through them and the hoops they wanted me to go through for being self-employed 3 years ago for a card was stupid.  I have said it before and I will say it again, great for car loans and that is about it.  marginal customer service.  dealing with nfcu on any level proves this point.  penfed's best years are behind them imo.  oh, while I was on recon with them I got my friend a $25K everyday.  also got her a cash+ and 2 other amex cards.  amex is the reference point of easy imo, I love dealing with them almost as much as chase.  good luck with your rebuild!

msb penfed post.PNG

What was the reason for her denial B? I'm sort of surprised they denied her.

The one thing I've learned over the last couple of years visiting the forums is there's no guarantee of approvals no matter how high the income or scores are. There's something about her profile they didn't like. I get a kick out of folks trying to squeeze 5 more points out in order to grab a new CC. IME if they're are going to approve you. A few points won't make a difference. Same with a denial. 

I've been denied with a 785 and approved with a 650. lol

Message 24 of 29
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

the only statistic with a doctor that matters is ones own, same for datapoints with credit.  here is mine helping a friend last month with penfed.  $200K in income, F8s touching 800 on 3B and they would not give her a single $500 card.  I have one of my cars and a card through them and the hoops they wanted me to go through for being self-employed 3 years ago for a card was stupid.  I have said it before and I will say it again, great for car loans and that is about it.  marginal customer service.  dealing with nfcu on any level proves this point.  penfed's best years are behind them imo.  oh, while I was on recon with them I got my friend a $25K everyday.  also got her a cash+ and 2 other amex cards.  amex is the reference point of easy imo, I love dealing with them almost as much as chase.  good luck with your rebuild!

msb penfed post.PNG

lack of credit card history.  the car refi was fine, 2.49% no issue.  3 apps all declined.  going to give them one more shot this month if they can do it under the same hp if her amex cards report.  she only had a cc for a year and a car loan for over 2.5 years and she is 52 years old.  she has been cash for decades.  what can you do lol

Message 25 of 29
Gmood1
Super Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

msb penfed post.PNG

lack of credit card history.  the car refi was fine, 2.49% no issue.  3 apps all declined.  going to give them one more shot this month if they can do it under the same hp if her amex cards report.  she only had a cc for a year and a car loan for over 2.5 years and she is 52 years old.  she has been cash for decades.  what can you do lol

Ah, that's not uncommon. Folks believe scores with no history will get them what they want. lol

Just my opinion, I believe history will trump scores every time. I'd rather have a strong 740 with a long track record of payments. Than a 850 that is as fragile as a carton of eggs. lol

OP  has a much better shot because he/she has the history of paying things on time.

Message 26 of 29
Caught750
Valued Contributor

Gmood, in 10+ years of history I struggled for a year to a year and a half. I was forced (and without details I mean I literally had no better options) to double my debt while making half of what I currently make. This was 5 to 5 and a half years ago. Since then outstanding debts (-1) have been settled and I have had perfect on time payment history on 2 types of installment loans and multiple revolving accounts.
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 27 of 29
Gmood1
Super Contributor

wrote:
Gmood, in 10+ years of history I struggled for a year to a year and a half. I was forced (and without details I mean I literally had no better options) to double my debt while making half of what I currently make. This was 5 to 5 and a half years ago. Since then outstanding debts (-1) have been settled and I have had perfect on time payment history on 2 types of installment loans and multiple revolving accounts.

I understand, been there done that. I've had nearly every baddie you can think of..BK, Foreclosure, Repo, charge offs.

I had a foreclosure still on my file when I joined Penfed. They initially turned me down for an auto loan. I called them and explained my situation. The CSR put me on hold and talked to the LO. When she came back she told me congratulations you are approved. They gave me the best rate on a auto loan at that time, 1.99%. My score was around a 650. That's only been 3 1/2 years ago.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Never give in on a denial until you've exhausted all options.

Message 28 of 29
Caught750
Valued Contributor

The short version is that I left a marriage where my ex wife threatened my health and livelihood (I have a career where that is very very easy). Had subsequent COs, CAs, and a short sale. When I realized what it did to my credit I was devastated to say the least. The accounts involved were mostly cell phones and 2 store cards, plus the short sale. Since then I've done everything possible to turn it around. Flooded my reports with positive trade lines and made all payments on time. As I stated I love Amex and Disco, they both gave a chance and looked past the Isolated incidents. I'd still like to find a lender that can do it all well and would appreciate developing a 32+ year relationship with plenty of installment loans and revolving credit along the way.

I have yet to explain this to a lender but is this a situation that would heavily on the ability to recon?
BUSINESS; Amex | Citi
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.