Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Penfed membership approved

tag
USC08
Frequent Contributor

Re: Penfed membership approved

Since I got approved for membership today, they "should" use the same HP right?

myFICO - EQ: 776 EX: 763 TU: 791
Message 11 of 18
core
Valued Contributor

@USC08 wrote:

Since I got approved for membership today, they "should" use the same HP right?

They did for me.

Message 12 of 18
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

I was told they use the same HP for 90 Days unless you request a new pull

Message 13 of 18
youdontkillmoney
Valued Contributor

Congrats! That's the first step in building a relationship with PenFed.

Message 14 of 18
USC08
Frequent Contributor

Thank you everyone for the replies.

myFICO - EQ: 776 EX: 763 TU: 791
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like my 5% gas rewards on my card. Very good customer service

Message 16 of 18
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I like my 5% gas rewards on my card. Very good customer service

I like mine too, but I don't know about the customer service part.  They didn't give me the 5% at first even though I'd had a qualifying money market account.  When I asked them about it they just told me it would take a couple months to take effect, like it was no big deal.  What, that wasn't part of the deal?!? So I sat through 2-3 months of 3% cash back and was pleasantly surprised when they eventually gave me a credit for those past months. 

The 5% gas is only at the pump.  From what I understand, Fort Knox is inside payments too, but I cannot yet confirm that.  I'm working on them next.  If it's true, the Fort Knox card is a way better 5% gas card.  Gas stations around here sell all kinds of naughty stuff inside.

Message 17 of 18
NRB525
Super Contributor

@core wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
the best cards they have imho are the AMEX and Promise Visa.

What makes you say that?  I'm looking at their cards now, and it seems the Amex is worth zip unless you pay for airfare.  5x points sounds nice but I can't find a list of what you can redeem them for, like statement credit or gift card ratios. I know they were devalued recently.

And with the Promise you get... nothing?  No points on purchases, not even a small signup bonus?  Not even a 0% intro APR?  I don't see anything redeeming about this card except no FTF, but that you can get anywhere, plus cash back.

I guess it just goes to show that it really depends what one wants out of a card.  And without that information a recommendation cannot be given.

The Promise card is set up to get the user to a lower APR than generally available, it starts with a $500 minimum CL so it's relatively easy to get started (relative being a high bar for PenFed to begin with) there are no fees, no overlimit fees, no FTF, it has an EMV and PIN-capable.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.