Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pentagon Federal Credit Union Data Share

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pentagon Federal Credit Union Data Share

@masscredit wrote:

There is a lot of PenFed knowledge here so I'm looking for a little guideance. I was denied for the Power Rewards card when I applied online two weeks ago.  The denial reasons were my  BK (7 1/2 years ago), recent new credit (3 cards from 1 1/2 years ago) and current balances (a couple of cards. Both less than 33%). I called last week to recon. They gave me a $3500 limit. I think that is kind of low compared to my other cards. Most are over $10K (see signiture). Seeing that I reconned to get that, I doubt they will do anything else with it.  But... I feel like I should do something else with my HP that is good for 90 days.  I really don't have a need for a LOC so that wouldn't do anything for me. Maybe another card?  I see some people (like rcsmith above) saying they were approved for two cards. One card will sometimes have a healthy SL while the other is just okay. Maybe my Power Rewards like will be the one that is just "okay"?  If I do apply for another card, do I do it online or call?  I want to make sure it's covered under the origional HP.   

I have two goals -

1 - Maximize what I can get with this HP

2 - Get a card with a SL high enough to take care of a BT that I want to do.  I need about $8500.  That's the reason I applied in the first place.

Regardless of what you need the card for, i would call and recon.  My Ch7 was discharged on 10/2010 and denied in 2016 for PenFed Amex and PenFed Visa.  I got approved on recon for both with $5k on each card.  I talked to the Director of accounts on the phone later that week and when providing my overtime statements from work, she raised my limits to $7,500 on each card.

Message 4581 of 5,922
masscredit
Valued Contributor

You think it might be worth it to call again to see if they will increase my limit?  I was going to wait until my 90 day HP is about to expire then try for a CLI.

And/or maybe apply for another one of their products? 

Pre-Credit Rebuild Scores Pre-DC (3/24/22) - EQ - 524 / TU - 519 / EX - 495

Current Scores - EQ - 687 / TU - 663/ EX - 677

TD Bank - $5000 / Mercury - $5000 / Capital One Savor One- $5000 / SDFCU Secured - $4990 / Capital One QuickSiver - $4500 / Ally Master Card - $2800/ Walmart Mastercard - $2250

Andrews FCU SSL $1500
Message 4582 of 5,922
Anonymous
Not applicable

@masscredit wrote:

You think it might be worth it to call again to see if they will increase my limit?  I was going to wait until my 90 day HP is about to expire then try for a CLI.

You had the recon to get the limit that you have now right? If you insist on pushing it, they may require proof of income. Again, you should not seek a credit card for a BT. 

Message 4583 of 5,922
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@masscredit wrote:

You had the recon to get the limit that you have now right? If you insist on pushing it, they may require proof of income. Again, you should not seek a credit card for a BT. 

I agree that since masscredit already reconned once calling again might be pushing it - patience, wait until the next acount review Oct. 1 and see if you're offered a CLI.

But I respectfully disagree that one should not seek a CC for a BT. If done right using a new CC for a BT can be very useful. I app'd & was approved for a Barclays NFL card in March 2015. My sole intention was to use it for it's 15 month 0% BT. I used the BT to pay off a Prosper loan that wasn't bad at 10.9% APR, but I saved hundreds in interest expense by using the 0% BT to pay it off, and then paid off the BT in the 15 months. While I do like football, the NFL card's reward dprogram is only good for over priced NFL merchandise & game tickets, so after I paid it off I app'd & was approved for Cashforward, and called in and got the NFL CL moved over to Cashforward & closed NFL.

Message 4584 of 5,922
itlm062
New Contributor

adding our story to this 450+ page thread: )

Wife and I had a bk chap13 filed on 8/2011, discharged 7/2016.

I applied for a penfed card on feb 2017 and got approved for 7k (cash reward). according to the credit reprot they pulled, the score was 682 at the time.

fast forward 5 months, wife applied this week, and was turned down with a score of 697...(reason given : bk and length of accounts)

the only difference I can think is I was on the phone while she applied over the web...

Think this is worth to call in the backdoor number for a reconn?

thanks.

Message 4585 of 5,922
Anonymous
Not applicable

@itlm062 wrote:

adding our story to this 450+ page thread: )

Wife and I had a bk chap13 filed on 8/2011, discharged 7/2016.

I applied for a penfed card on feb 2017 and got approved for 7k (cash reward). according to the credit reprot they pulled, the score was 682 at the time.

fast forward 5 months, wife applied this week, and was turned down with a score of 697...(reason given : bk and length of accounts)

the only difference I can think is I was on the phone while she applied over the web...

Think this is worth to call in the backdoor number for a reconn?

thanks.

Definitely yes. As I said elsewhere, computers are actually pretty stupid at this; all they can do is what they're programmed to work with. Penfed is known for being exceptionally generous on recon.

Message 4586 of 5,922
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

@DaveInAZ

I actually did use the Promise card as my first BT card Smiley Happy

Have never had a limit high enough to do one and was able to fit my entire debt of $5600, across several cards, on the Promise card.

Will be using all 12 months at 4.99% as I'm very low income and need every bit of financial help I can get.

It's an amazing feeling seeing all of my maxed out for years cards now reporting a $0 balance.

Also nice only having to worry about one payment a month now. Smiley Happy
Message 4587 of 5,922
Total80sKid
Senior Contributor

@itlm062

I definitely suggest calling.

I applied online and got an error message and thankfully the CSR I got was one of the best CSR's I've ever dealt with.

I wish you luck! PenFed has treated me better in the last week than Cap1 has in 3yrs (super excited to call tomorrow and close both of my Cap1 accounts Smiley Happy )

Message 4588 of 5,922
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Total80sKid - unless those Cap 1 cards have an AF I might recommend just leaving them open. Your score will take a massive hit if you reduce your total available credit too much.
Message 4589 of 5,922
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

TygerHawke, i believe his Cap One cards do have AF and they wont budge. Thats one of Totals headaches with them Smiley Wink
Message 4590 of 5,922
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.