Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning to Apply for Uber Visa

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Planning to Apply for Uber Visa

Apologies if I posted this on wrong section.  I've been thinking about applying for Uber Visa since dining out is one of my biggest spending categories, however I've been reading on this forum regarding Uber Visa which says at least 1 year of (good) credit history to get approved, and on the other side, average age of credit needs to be at least 1 year.  Anyway what are my chances?  Should I go ahead or wait for a few months?  Let me know if I need to add more info. 

I'malso considering PenFed Power Cash Rewards but got denied at the same time I got approved for USAA AMEX Cashback.

I'm also considering Discover.

-Credit score:

TU: 715

EQ: 707  (all 3 scores are VantageScore, FICO scores below)

EX: 721

-Avg. Age: 8.5 months

-HP (TU): 4 (0 in 6 months, 1 in 12 months, 3 in 18 months)

1 - Capital One Approval

3 - unknowingly kept on applying on credit cards with rewards resulting on denial and lowered score

-HP (EQ): 8 (1 in 6 months, 1 in 11 months, 2 in 12 months, 4 in 18 months)

same reason for number of inquiries as above, resulting on lowered score

-Utilization generally kept under under 5% after the USAA approval, except September which goes to at least 70% on Capital One.

-No baddies

Accounts (age and limits):

1 year  - Capital One: 300 CL - 500 CL (increased on Nov)

5 months - USAA AMEX Cashback: 5000 CL

*Edit:

Just got my FICO scores

EQ: 714

TU: 737

EX: 734

FICO Bankcard Score 8

EQ: 698

TU: 732

EX: 728

AAoA: 9 months

Age of Oldest Account: 1 yr and 0 month.

Most recent account opened is 6 months.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Planning to Apply for Uber Visa

I'd wait on that Uber card. In the meantime, Discover It has Restaurants as Q3, so with the cashback match for year 1 you'll get 10% back July - September.

If you frequent specific restaurants you can maximize this by stocking up on gift cards. If you're lucky, they'll pick restaurants for Q3 next year as well, and depending on when you open the account, you'll effectively double dip on 10% for restaurants.
Message 2 of 9
dsotm76
Frequent Contributor

Let me start off by saying that the Uber card is AMAZING if you dine out a lot or go to bars.  The amount of money I've earned back since late January has been impressive.  I use it for all of my meals and just pay it off each month since I was going to use that money on food anyway.

Here's my experience:

I apped late January in a little mini-spree.  I got my BCE AMEX in late Dec and they don't report right away, so I went ahead and picked up a Citi DC.  Both were really easy.  Then I heard about the Uber card on here and realized that I would probably benefit THE MOST from this card.  (I don't cook.)  Given the great SLs I got from AMEX and Citi, I figured I'd be a lock with scores in the mid-700s on all three reports and the fact that my TU was the highest of them all.  I cold apped and got the dreaded, we'll let you know message.  I went right back in and saw it was declined.  My heart sank and I instantly came on here looking for the recon number for Barclays and Uber.  I called it and got Steve.  Steve was AMAZING!  Instead of being your typical robot, he actually had a conversation with me about my interest in the card, the fact that it only showed I had one credit card with little usage (Cap1 Secured that's useless outside of the fact it has the highest age), and that I didn't start with my credit (again) until a few years ago.  He overturned the decision and gave me a $500.00 SL.  I wasn't happy about the low number, but I figure unless I'm on a vacation, I don't spend that much anyway in food.  I'm in hopes they will raise that limit in a while without my having to take an HP to get it raised.  

Anyway, the point of my story is that while some cards are really easy to get, some can be a real pain.  It's one reason I don't seek any of the Chase cards, plus they won't pre-qual me on anything.  (Maybe they still have burn marks from the 90s with me...hehehe)  And while Steve was my Knight in matte black plastic, I'm sure others haven't been as lucky.  They seem a little tougher to get in with.  So, if you have the patience (I don't usually) to wait, that would be my suggestion.  Build it up a little more and then give it a shot.  Ultimately, though, it's up to you.  Good luck either way you decide!!

BCE AMEX ($16200) - Citi DC ($11600) - Chase Sapphire Preferred ($10200) - Nordstrom Visa Signature ($10000) - Best Buy Citi Visa ($9950) - Chase Freedom Flex ($7700) - NHL Discover IT ($7000) - Apple Card ($6000) - Delta Gold AMEX ($6000) - Hilton Honors AMEX ($5000) - Barclay View ($5000)

Closed - Capital One Secured ($500) - It is not in my wallet. :-) - Sony/Sync ($2400)

Goal - To get in with Chase. Smiley Very Happy (ACHIEVED!)
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@dsotm76 wrote:

Let me start off by saying that the Uber card is AMAZING if you dine out a lot or go to bars.  The amount of money I've earned back since late January has been impressive.  I use it for all of my meals and just pay it off each month since I was going to use that money on food anyway.

Here's my experience:

I apped late January in a little mini-spree.  I got my BCE AMEX in late Dec and they don't report right away, so I went ahead and picked up a Citi DC.  Both were really easy.  Then I heard about the Uber card on here and realized that I would probably benefit THE MOST from this card.  (I don't cook.)  Given the great SLs I got from AMEX and Citi, I figured I'd be a lock with scores in the mid-700s on all three reports and the fact that my TU was the highest of them all.  I cold apped and got the dreaded, we'll let you know message.  I went right back in and saw it was declined.  My heart sank and I instantly came on here looking for the recon number for Barclays and Uber.  I called it and got Steve.  Steve was AMAZING!  Instead of being your typical robot, he actually had a conversation with me about my interest in the card, the fact that it only showed I had one credit card with little usage (Cap1 Secured that's useless outside of the fact it has the highest age), and that I didn't start with my credit (again) until a few years ago.  He overturned the decision and gave me a $500.00 SL.  I wasn't happy about the low number, but I figure unless I'm on a vacation, I don't spend that much anyway in food.  I'm in hopes they will raise that limit in a while without my having to take an HP to get it raised.  

Anyway, the point of my story is that while some cards are really easy to get, some can be a real pain.  It's one reason I don't seek any of the Chase cards, plus they won't pre-qual me on anything.  (Maybe they still have burn marks from the 90s with me...hehehe)  And while Steve was my Knight in matte black plastic, I'm sure others haven't been as lucky.  They seem a little tougher to get in with.  So, if you have the patience (I don't usually) to wait, that would be my suggestion.  Build it up a little more and then give it a shot.  Ultimately, though, it's up to you.  Good luck either way you decide!!

Wait on the Uber Visa while it's an amazing card with your numbers possibly 1k or not at all either way it's your choice. Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Uber is an amazing card.  It's my every day card.  But Barclays is very picky.  My guess is they would leave you with a HP and nothing to show for it because of the short history and thin file.  Plus you really need to know your real FICO score as it could be VERY DIFFERENT from the Vantage score you posted.  So I would not even consider applying until you see where your score is actually at because if your FICO is under 700, that might be another reason to wait.

With all that negativity stated, if I were you I would see if you can get a pre-qual from Discover.  Discover IT is a great card, easier to get, and has the pre-qual.  Plus Discover will give regular increases while getting increases from Barclays is like trying to steal fish from a bear.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Uber is an amazing card.  It's my every day card.  But Barclays is very picky.  My guess is they would leave you with a HP and nothing to show for it because of the short history and thin file.  Plus you really need to know your real FICO score as it could be VERY DIFFERENT from the Vantage score you posted.  So I would not even consider applying until you see where your score is actually at because if your FICO is under 700, that might be another reason to wait.

With all that negativity stated, if I were you I would see if you can get a pre-qual from Discover.  Discover IT is a great card, easier to get, and has the pre-qual.  Plus Discover will give regular increases while getting increases from Barclays is like trying to steal fish from a bear.

Just got my FICO scores

FICO Bankcard Score 8

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Just got my FICO scores

FICO Bankcard Score 8

They will use the TU and that's a nice 737 TU.  My opinion is your options are to wait until your AAoA is 12 months or more and take the risk and try for UBER;  or to go for the prequal Discover now.  If you are declined on the prequal then you should wait 3 more months in either case.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have a solid chance. Barclays is really good at Recon as well in case anything.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

A little but of update.... I GOT APPROVED!!!!

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Uber-Visa-Approval-After-Recon/td-p/5225530

Updates will be over there.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.