cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poll how many people didn't fall for the Venture big CL's?

tag
onstar
Established Contributor

Re: Poll how many people didn't fall for the Venture big CL's?

Wow. So much hate (by some) for Capital One.

I like them. After my major credit issues following the dot-com bubble burst, the first bank to give me an unsecured card was Capital One. It had a $50 AF, but in most years, when I called around the AF time, they would waive it for me. Around 5 years ago, they auto PC'd it into a Platinum which had $0 AF and 1% cash back. And 2 months ago, they called me to offer a PC to Quicksilver with 1.5% cash back which I gladly took. And they have regularly give me auto CLI, including $2,500 auto CLI over the past 2 years (from $2,000 to $4,500).

Anyway, I recently got the VentureOne with $10K SL. Not because I thought they would give me a big CL (I found this myFICO forum after my app), but because I prefer Capital One. Now, having read this board, I soon found that there are cards with better rewards/bonuses out there, so I also acquired those, but I certainly do not view Capital One to be any less of a bank than Chase, Citi, or Barclay.

*shrug*

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 91 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

Not me. I'd rather have a CSP.
Message 92 of 105
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@onstar wrote:

Wow. So much hate (by some) for Capital One.

I like them. After my major credit issues following the dot-com bubble burst, the first bank to give me an unsecured card was Capital One. It had a $50 AF, but in most years, when I called around the AF time, they would waive it for me. Around 5 years ago, they auto PC'd it into a Platinum which had $0 AF and 1% cash back. And 2 months ago, they called me to offer a PC to Quicksilver with 1.5% cash back which I gladly took. And they have regularly give me auto CLI, including $2,500 auto CLI over the past 2 years (from $2,000 to $4,500).

Anyway, I recently got the VentureOne with $10K SL. Not because I thought they would give me a big CL (I found this myFICO forum after my app), but because I prefer Capital One. Now, having read this board, I soon found that there are cards with better rewards/bonuses out there, so I also acquired those, but I certainly do not view Capital One to be any less of a bank than Chase, Citi, or Barclay.

*shrug*

It really comes down to their CS or lack there of CS.  Not to mention you get bucketed more then any other lender.  Shortest way of summing it up.. Most people on the fourm have had them or have them.  The QS is a great great card and the 1.5% hassle fee rewards is painless!  With that said their lack of CS and having to goto the EO to get anything done and not providing #'s and having to email or FB them is just bad business IMO.  So alot of peopes choices is to not have any Cap1's going forwards, while others choose the CL and the rewards to be worth it.  Just preference.  They served their purpose to me and I will keep my two as they each have no AF and put a token purchase on them every 3 months each since one is my oldest tradeline, but their are alot better cards out their once you outgrow them..  They are probably the best rebuilder card out there as well though... so love and hate for most

Message 93 of 105
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

No Venture for me!  One Crap1 card is enough to deal with and it may not make it past the 1 year mark.  I just have too much history with their backward ways of doing business.  I am literally constantly one more thing away from closing my QS and swearing them off forever.  When they screwed me out of the signup bonus, that was IT and I was DONE then they up and doubled my limit after only 4 months.  It's still not a great limit or anything.

No way I would willing entangle myself with them for another card.  3 pulls for one card is just insane even if their "customer service" wasn't such a joke.

Message 94 of 105
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't, and won't.

Message 95 of 105
onstar
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

It really comes down to their CS or lack there of CS.  Not to mention you get bucketed more then any other lender.  Shortest way of summing it up.. Most people on the fourm have had them or have them.  The QS is a great great card and the 1.5% hassle fee rewards is painless!  With that said their lack of CS and having to goto the EO to get anything done and not providing #'s and having to email or FB them is just bad business IMO.  So alot of peopes choices is to not have any Cap1's going forwards, while others choose the CL and the rewards to be worth it.  Just preference.  They served their purpose to me and I will keep my two as they each have no AF and put a token purchase on them every 3 months each since one is my oldest tradeline, but their are alot better cards out their once you outgrow them..  They are probably the best rebuilder card out there as well though... so love and hate for most

Thanks for the explanation.

I see that I'm in the minority in most of the issues regarding Capital One. I find their CS to be very good (knock on wood!). And in my experience, Capital One has been on par with other banks in terms of the CL (VentureOne $10K, Citi AA $10K, Barclay USAir $7500, Chase Marriott $12K, all of these are new apps from 2015).

Anyway, I'll keep my positive outlook until they do something bad to me. Plus I like Samuel Jackson & Jennifer Garner.

Smiley Wink

BK DC 4/9/2018
FICO 08 (4/9/2018): EQ 647 EX 609 TU 620
FICO 08 (10/16/2020): EQ 676 EX 659 TU 653
Message 96 of 105
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@onstar wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

I see that I'm in the minority in most of the issues regarding Capital One. I find their CS to be very good (knock on wood!). And in my experience, Capital One has been on par with other banks in terms of the CL (VentureOne $10K, Citi AA $10K, Barclay USAir $7500, Chase Marriott $12K, all of these are new apps from 2015).

Anyway, I'll keep my positive outlook until they do something bad to me. Plus I like Samuel Jackson & Jennifer Garner.

Smiley Wink

I can count on one hand how many times I've had to call customer service for ANY cards...ANY banks...so customer service is always low on my list when it comes to how I rate a company.

That being said, I have been able to get everything that I've ever needed done via CapOne's chat.  So I haven't personally experienced the horrid customer service that others have.  My dealings with them have all been pleasant and painless.

BUT, I see what most people are saying, I understand where people are coming from.  Time Warner, I will NEVER use them again, because of their customer service.  Never ever ever ever ever.

But, something about this thread bothers me though.  Maybe it's the wording.  How many people didn't fall for...like we're suckers?  We got scammed?  

Not only has Capital One been great for rebuilders (which is a LOT of people here on this forum), but then they will extend you a high limit on what is a pretty good card.  Decent AF, no FTF, nice sign up bonus, Visa Sig benefits, 2% across the board.  A lot of people who couldn't get more then $500 on a card a year ago, now they have a $10,000 card with pretty good rewards.  And they read this and are meant to feel bad about it, like they fell for a dirty trick.

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 97 of 105
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@onstar wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Smiley Wink

I can count on one hand how many times I've had to call customer service for ANY cards...ANY banks...so customer service is always low on my list when it comes to how I rate a company.

That being said, I have been able to get everything that I've ever needed done via CapOne's chat.  So I haven't personally experienced the horrid customer service that others have.  My dealings with them have all been pleasant and painless.

BUT, I see what most people are saying, I understand where people are coming from.  Time Warner, I will NEVER use them again, because of their customer service.  Never ever ever ever ever.

But, something about this thread bothers me though.  Maybe it's the wording.  How many people didn't fall for...like we're suckers?  We got scammed?  

Not only has Capital One been great for rebuilders (which is a LOT of people here on this forum), but then they will extend you a high limit on what is a pretty good card.  Decent AF, no FTF, nice sign up bonus, Visa Sig benefits, 2% across the board.  A lot of people who couldn't get more then $500 on a card a year ago, now they have a $10,000 card with pretty good rewards.  And they read this and are meant to feel bad about it, like they fell for a dirty trick.

I can change the title of the thread if it offends you, was meant as a joke... Kinda against Nixon to be honest cause he kinda got the ball rolling on the app-o-rama of the Venture card..  If you enjoy the Venture card then that is great!  I just have a feeling most people applied for it with regards to the big CL's they were giving out..  How many of you actually plan on using it for everday spending after the initial bonus is met?   Honestly after the bonus is met the rewards on the Venture are lackluster unless you plan on putting ALOT I mean alot of spend through it.  I am just being honest, most people will probably if being honest they got it for the big CL, not what it can really offer them other then that.  Just my take and I appologize if the title offended you, as it was not meant to...  This forum deffinetly has Cap1 Lovers and haters and always will.

Cap 1 and their triple pulls and lack of CS has just pushed me over the edge along with alot of others...  A year or so back before Cap1 started being more "generous" people were stuck with 300-500 CL's and some still are for 5-10 years etc.  This is what I mean by bucketing and you have to cancel the product and re-apply to get re-bucketed.  Why can't they just grow with you like other CC companies without having to cancel the accoutn and re-apply?  

Message 98 of 105
toothgrind3r
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@onstar wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Smiley Wink

I can change the title of the thread if it offends you, was meant as a joke... Kinda against Nixon to be honest cause he kinda got the ball rolling on the app-o-rama of the Venture card..  If you enjoy the Venture card then that is great!  I just have a feeling most people applied for it with regards to the big CL's they were giving out..  How many of you actually plan on using it for everday spending after the initial bonus is met?   Honestly after the bonus is met the rewards on the Venture are lackluster unless you plan on putting ALOT I mean alot of spend through it.  I am just being honest, most people will probably if being honest they got it for the big CL, not what it can really offer them other then that.  Just my take and I appologize if the title offended you, as it was not meant to...  This forum deffinetly has Cap1 Lovers and haters and always will.

Cap 1 and their triple pulls and lack of CS has just pushed me over the edge along with alot of others...  A year or so back before Cap1 started being more "generous" people were stuck with 300-500 CL's and some still are for 5-10 years etc.  This is what I mean by bucketing and you have to cancel the product and re-apply to get re-bucketed.  Why can't they just grow with you like other CC companies without having to cancel the accoutn and re-apply?  

You know, after I posted that I was gonna add "I know I'm taking it all too literal, so I apologize".  I'm not offended at all!  

I actually do plan on using it heavily.  But that's because I want to simplify.  Not gonna go into my reasons here though.  But it's a good card for simplifying my spend.

But yeah, there's always gonna be strong opinions about Capital One.  But I feel like it's the people who are, for lack of better words, most impressionable...the rebuilders who just recently got higher scores and higher limits, who read all about the Capital One hate, and then maybe, again, for lack of better words, feel less proud of how far they've come.

I've got some cards. Some are pretty, some are ugly. Some are more useful than others.
Message 99 of 105
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@toothgrind3r wrote:

@onstar wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

Smiley Wink

You know, after I posted that I was gonna add "I know I'm taking it all too literal, so I apologize".  I'm not offended at all!  

I actually do plan on using it heavily.  But that's because I want to simplify.  Not gonna go into my reasons here though.  But it's a good card for simplifying my spend.

But yeah, there's always gonna be strong opinions about Capital One.  But I feel like it's the people who are, for lack of better words, most impressionable...the rebuilders who just recently got higher scores and higher limits, who read all about the Capital One hate, and then maybe, again, for lack of better words, feel less proud of how far they've come.

I am the first to admit that I would be in the place I was today credit wise without Cap1 helping me (keep in mind I still have a long ways to go).  

Alot of people just speak out about Cap1 in a bad way so they warn people of the triple pulls or multiple triple pulls if you get two or three of their cards along with the lack of growth if you get a rebuilder.  That being said Cap1 on more recent approvals seemed to have changed their policy for the better and these cards are actually growing, which is great!  Credit repair is a LONG journey and everytime you can get something better whether it is a jump from finger hut to a Cap1 Unsecured Acct or a Cap1 500 limit to a Cap1 Venture 5k-10k limit that is great and you should be proud of yourself whomever you are, part of the process!  

Back to work for me, need to keep paying my CC bills on time so I don't have to rebuild againSmiley Happy

Message 100 of 105
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.