Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Post BK Citibank experience

@DaveInAZ wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@pizza1 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Have you checked Home Depot's pre-qualifier?

THIS!!    Go to the HD website...scroll down to the Home Depot credit card, and scroll to bottom, youll see the prequalifier...fill it out!!!

Does this mean I'm good to go?

Wow the APR is a killer, but if you PIF no issue..

Most store cards still charge outrageous interest, but I doubt if they actually earn much interest, most folks PIF or use them for deferred interest. I think Lowes is a better deal than HD, they offer 6 mos ferred interest on purchases of $299+, and regularly run promos offering 9-12 mos deferred interest. I have deferred interest until 9/2015 for a $500 purchase of laminate flooring made in late Jan, and I get 5% discount on smaller purchases by suing the card. Just PIF, or you wipe out that discount in a hurry.

Lowes also has an 84 month 5.99% deal for large purchases.

Message 21 of 30
Countingpennies
Established Contributor

I was approved for Citi Best Buy card last Fall, 1 yr. 11 mos. post discharge. I still can't get a pre-approval for any other Citi card including HD. I don't really need it enough to risk an inq. for a full app right now, and I do have Lowes.

i didn't burn any Citi cards in BK.

Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, almost all store cards will carry a higher interest rate but HD also has 6 months no interest of purchases over $299 just like Lowes. I took advantage of it in January for some beautiful hand scraped floors and paid it off last week even though I still had 4 months left on the promo. APR doesn't really matter if you PIF. I have both Lowes and HD but prefer Lowes. The flooring was exclusive to HD so I went with their promo.
Message 23 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Creditfitnesstoo...so were you approved so you could purchase your fridge?? Smiley Happy
Message 24 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just planning ahead right now. Haven't closed on the house yet.
Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

oh ok. for some reason i thought you closed already..perhaps i have you mixed up with someone...silly me! Smiley Happy

Message 26 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

oh ok. for some reason i thought you closed already..perhaps i have you mixed up with someone...silly me! Smiley Happy

Nope... just submitted the request for Seller repairs and waiting to hear back... although it's more of a wish list. The items are small enough that I won't let it kill the deal either way.

Hurry up and wait is killing me. LOL.

Benefit of planning ahead - thinking about trying for a regular card with a good 0% intro period instead, depending on what's available in a couple weeks. *knocks on wood* Generally can get a lower interest rate after the promo and no back interest.

Message 27 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're so right on!! Planning ahead never hurt! Smiley Happy

I've been doing price comparison for appliances as well. Home Depot and Lowes do price matches and will beat that price by an additional 10% (from my understanding) So you could indeed find a cheaper fridge (same model) at a competitors and have them price match it..then slap on an additional 10% discount then use their store card for 0%APR for 6 months. That's what I'm planning to do once I close...But I'm only aiming for a fridge for now. Smiley Happy

Good luck!

Message 28 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I've been doing price comparison for appliances as well. Home Depot and Lowes do price matches and will beat that price by an additional 10% (from my understanding) So you could indeed find a cheaper fridge (same model) at a competitors and have them price match it..then slap on an additional 10% discount then use their store card for 0%APR for 6 months. That's what I'm planning to do once I close...But I'm only aiming for a fridge for now. Smiley Happy

Good luck!

I'm not sure about HD... but the Lowe's intro APR can't be used with any discounts, sales, or price matching. So you'll want to watch that.

Message 29 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck!

I'm not sure about HD... but the Lowe's intro APR can't be used with any discounts, sales, or price matching. So you'll want to watch that.

oh darn!! Hummm...i gotta read the smaller prints! Thanks!

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.