Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre Approves and SCT not working

tag
howellco2
Frequent Contributor

Pre Approves and SCT not working

I have been testing the water  I can not get any pre approvals  not even Secured cards Ive also tried SCT no pop ups   . I read that i could be opted out  however i get a letter a week from Credit one wanting me to get a card and just this week i got a offer from  Lendup Arrow card 

I also get a ton of pre apporved loan mail from lending tree 

MAJOR BANK CARDS Amex BC 15k, Amex CM 1500, Amex Delta 1k, BB&T Travel 4500, BBVA 6900, CAP1QS 2600, Discover 3300, Marvel MC 6000, Wells Fargo CR 4500, Blispay 2k
CREDIT UNION CARDS DCU 2k , Robbins 10k, United1st 5k
STORE CARDS Amazon 10k, Home Depot 5k, PayPal 4k, Walmart 6k, Lowes 12k
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pre Approves and SCT not working

That's strange. What does your credit file look like? High utilization? Baddies? Charge offs? BK? All this considered, you should be able to get a pre-approval for something like a secured card if your scores are up to date. One thing I noticed is that back when I moved in October, I couldn't use my new address for pre-approval apps because I guess it wasn't on the bureaus' files or something. 

Message 2 of 11
howellco2
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

That's strange. What does your credit file look like? High utilization? Baddies? Charge offs? BK? All this considered, you should be able to get a pre-approval for something like a secured card if your scores are up to date. One thing I noticed is that back when I moved in October, I couldn't use my new address for pre-approval apps because I guess it wasn't on the bureaus' files or something. 

My scores are higher now that what it says in current scores . Have had all collections removed but 1 and its paid off will fall off on its on in 4 months  showing 2 charge offs but they have been paid back only 3% on UTI

MAJOR BANK CARDS Amex BC 15k, Amex CM 1500, Amex Delta 1k, BB&T Travel 4500, BBVA 6900, CAP1QS 2600, Discover 3300, Marvel MC 6000, Wells Fargo CR 4500, Blispay 2k
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@howellco2wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

My scores are higher now that what it says in current scores . Have had all collections removed but 1 and its paid off will fall off on its on in 4 months  showing 2 charge offs but they have been paid back only 3% on UTI

I think it varies by company how they handle paid off COs, but this whole situation seems kinda wonky to me. I think you'd probably be okay to cold apply for something, maybe not a top tier card, but like Capital One's QS, Discover IT, or maybe even one from Chase's Freedom line. I'm no expert, but I'm leaning towards it being possible that the pre-qualify algorithms simply don't like the baddies even though they're taken care of for the most part. Heck, it's possible the one collection still reporting is the culprit. 

Message 4 of 11
bpcnabe
Established Member

Are you currently opted-out of receiving pre-screened offers? If you opted-out, you will never get SCT to work or pre-qualified offers from banks. Just a thought.
Message 5 of 11
howellco2
Frequent Contributor

Not sure if I'm opted out I don't think so I get a couple credit one letters a week

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Try going to the store for which you are trying to get a card on the SCT through the incognito window.  Put a couple of items in your cart and check out as a guest.  When you type in your information, try typing it out completely and not using the autofill feature that pops up as you start typing. Continue the check out process as normal and when you get to the payment screen, it shoudl pop up. Of course this is not guaranteed, but it has worked consistently for me when I was trying to get the Children's Place card. 

One thing to note is to use the address that is the most recently reported address on your credit report if you have more than one.  I kept getting a 7-10 day message when I used my home address, but when I tried my apartment, I was instantly approved. 

Good Luck.

Message 7 of 11
Sneakytiki
Frequent Contributor

You could still be opted out, I had to opt back in for some reason and I was only getting consolidation loan and really bad credit card offers, maybe from old information?

Once I opted back in, I started getting some better offers in the mail and began to get other offers on prequal sites. Also, not sure how long ago your derogatories are but make sure none in the past 12 months, I've never had luck with prequal offers until i hit the 13th+ month of on time payments mark. When I botched things up in November/December of 2016, I didn't get good offers until Jan of 2018. 

Starting Score-(01/2017): FICO ||EX:575--EQ:549--TU:588||
Current Score--(04/2018): FICO ||EX:686--EQ:697--TU:715||

Message 8 of 11
howellco2
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymouswrote:

Try going to the store for which you are trying to get a card on the SCT through the incognito window.  Put a couple of items in your cart and check out as a guest.  When you type in your information, try typing it out completely and not using the autofill feature that pops up as you start typing. Continue the check out process as normal and when you get to the payment screen, it shoudl pop up. Of course this is not guaranteed, but it has worked consistently for me when I was trying to get the Children's Place card. 

One thing to note is to use the address that is the most recently reported address on your credit report if you have more than one.  I kept getting a 7-10 day message when I used my home address, but when I tried my apartment, I was instantly approved. 

Good Luck.

That worked Overstock popped up said i was approved but it ask for my whole SSN i dont want to risk a hard pull right now trying to get score to 700 by April so i can get a 4% refinace loan with my local CU     ..... The big boys still wont pre approve

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@howellco2wrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Good Luck.

That worked Overstock popped up said i was approved but it ask for my whole SSN i dont want to risk a hard pull right now trying to get score to 700 by April so i can get a 4% refinace loan with my local CU     ..... The big boys still wont pre approve

I would just keep trying and definitely don't put in your whole social.  Last 4 digits only.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.