Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre-Qualify Chase Advice Needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre-Qualify Chase Advice Needed

Hello All,

Thanks to a lot of the info here my credit scores have been improving greatly. I just checked and i prequalify for 3 Chase card offers today. I am very excited but I am wondering if I should pull the trigger now or wait for a bit. The three I qualify for is:

CSP

Slate

Freedom 

I do want to get a CSP at some point so that would be the preferred card I would want to apply for but any advice would be great. I do need to get a new card to replace my low CL PPE card that they refused to give me any type of CLI on.  I run a small personal business on the side next to my day job so I am looking to have one card for personal and one card for business stuff (It's just me so I don't think I really need a business-centric card just yet but will in the future as the business grows.) 

Any questions please let me know and thanks for response in advance. 

8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pre-Qualify Chase Advice Needed

Depends how badly you want a new card. If your current numbers in your signature are correct I would not apply for anything.

75% Utilization is awful, and even if you were approved that would definitely be a strong factor in them likely giving you a much smaller limit. As Chase is not known for easy limit increases, I would recommend waiting at least until you are in a position where they will probably give you a larger starting limit to work with.

That being said, their prequals are pretty reliable so if you couldn't hold back and pulled the trigger you would probably be approved.. though again with that extremely high utilization I would expect the 5k minimum limit for a CSP and probably their max APR along with it.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would ask for an increase on your Amazon card to 6k-8k through the online chat feature and get your util down as much as possible, let all of that report, then go for the CSP.  This will give you the best chance at better starting lines and rates.

As mentioned their prequals are solid and you'd probably get it anyway right now, but at a 5k limit with the highest APR.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@waverider Thanks for the advice. Synchrony is on the amazon store card which is the same back that backs my Paypal Extras Card. They have been stingy in giving me a CLI on my PPE and the CLD me on the amazon store card about a year ago.  Can I get them to check as well without doing a HP?I had to call a backdoor number for the PPE to avoid a HP. Do they do HP through the online chat or is there a number available for them as well?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wanderingbridge That's also something to look into. My ult is really all based on one card that I am in the process of paying down. My other cards are well under that. I wonder if I can call and explain that to them and if it would be a factor. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's worth a try if you want since it's been quite a bit of time.  As long as util on the Amazon card is very low.  Best bet would be you can call Credit Solutions at 877-379-8173.  Based on 705 TU score, I would ask for 10k and they will counter offer.  Also it's usually SP.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@wanderingbridge That's also something to look into. My ult is really all based on one card that I am in the process of paying down. My other cards are well under that. I wonder if I can call and explain that to them and if it would be a factor. 

You can definitely explain things - but utilization is a concern whether on 1 card or spread across all cards (though many cards with balances is it's own problem as well beyond just overall utilization).

In any case, I would definitely get that paid down before applying for anything, especially with Chase. Other issuers are easier to work on limit increases with once you get yourself stable again, but Chase for the most part is 'you get what they start you with'. This is why I would not even consider applying with them until you have got your finances under control where you are not carrying any balances, and only allowing the optimal 1 card 1-9% util to report.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@waverider

I called another number I found that gets you to US based reps 1-866-519-6441 Made two calls about 30 minutes apart for Amazon Store card and Paypal Extra Mastercard. I was able to boost both cards with just a SP. Amazon boosted up to 4K total and Boosted Papay Extra to 6K total. Added nearly 10K to my TCL and drop my UTL below 50%! I'll wait for the increase to reflect the report then look at Chase again.  

Thanks everyone for their help on this! 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All,

Thanks to a lot of the info here my credit scores have been improving greatly. I just checked and i prequalify for 3 Chase card offers today. I am very excited but I am wondering if I should pull the trigger now or wait for a bit. The three I qualify for is:

CSP

Slate

Freedom 

I do want to get a CSP at some point so that would be the preferred card I would want to apply for but any advice would be great. I do need to get a new card to replace my low CL PPE card that they refused to give me any type of CLI on.  I run a small personal business on the side next to my day job so I am looking to have one card for personal and one card for business stuff (It's just me so I don't think I really need a business-centric card just yet but will in the future as the business grows.) 

Any questions please let me know and thanks for response in advance. 

Eliminate Slate.

Do not waste your time with Slate.

You get nothing but a FICO score with Slate.

No points, no nothing. 

Freedom is great and the CSP/CSR are for bigger spenders or there's something in their benefits that catches your eye.

All that being said, you'll likely get nothing from them with that high utilization you're holding now, so pay that down to under 20% and try then.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.