Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pre approved letter from fingerhut

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Pre approved letter from fingerhut

I have a letter in the mail from fingerhut saying I'm pre approved but it's asking me for my full social on the website I'm assuming it's gonna be a hp but why would it say pre approved anyone able to help me understand this??
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
TheVig
Regular Contributor

Re: Pre approved letter from fingerhut

Better question is why would you want a Fingerhut card?

There's better options to build credit.
Message 2 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Not everyone can get a credit oneSmiley Wink

OP, , more than likely if you applied they would approve you, just remember most times one receives a pre approved letter or mailer, many times its just marketing .

If you have any qualms about getting Fingerhut, you could always post you details on your current profile and we can offer suggestions to help. If it matters , i had FH in my rebuild and have no problems with them or how to use them correctlySmiley Wink

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Webbank (Fingerhut and Gettington) usually triple pulls. Unless your profile is inquiry sensitive it still may be worth it as the card grows at a solid rate (usually) with any usage.
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never heard of them I went to the website the prices are way over retail I'll pass on it thanks for the response
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Webbank (Fingerhut and Gettington) usually triple pulls. Unless your profile is inquiry sensitive it still may be worth it as the card grows at a solid rate (usually) with any usage.

Wow...a triple for FH??? That should be a felony. 

Op....glad you are passing! 

Message 6 of 11
TheVig
Regular Contributor

Good thing you are passing.

Even with clean reports, Fingerhut is not something you want on your reports. Say you go to make a major purchase like a car or house.......an uptight underwriter who manually glances over your reports sees it, and will think one of two things......either you are stupid or have had past financial difficulties.

Sure the computer spits out and says you are ok, but the manual review says otherwise.

Again, glad to see you are passing on it.
Message 7 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Must have been stupid and poor, if underwriters dont like it let them live their own livesSmiley Wink
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

1) Definitely YOUNG if you never heard of Finger Hut😀

2) To answer the question of
Why would they say....and want my social

* Generally speaking many so-called pre-approvals are more of a pre-screening...meaning they ask/pay for a list of 'likely' folks that meet these minimum standards 'in general' but they haven't actually pulled a full/real report

Sorta like a college asking a list of ANYBODY with at least a 'C' average but not honor roll level...they haven't vetted any student in particular they just want to up their chances based on PROFILING of

a) The more likely type of student 'we' get notice not fishing for 'A' students they go to Take

b) The more likely to 'bite'/app ....it cost more money to advertise junk mail/ pay per click whatever business is business
It's a marketing game, not mad it's life

Chase and AmEx target their marketing to their likely clientele and so does FH and other low level issuers

Nothing strange about the process...just the way it works with just about ANY company in America

* Some strong (more expensive for the vendor) pre-approvals have basically SP credit and are very solid towards actual approvals ... however because of mailing time and changes that may pop up between when they looked and what is actually on the credit as well as what the applicant may disclose on the app even many of those are going to HP as of TODAY the app day vs what they pre-approved off perhaps 2 months ago when the mailers were being scheduled.

That's why you'll many times see a respond by date because the Credit pull is good until X date afterwards it's a new pull , most times 60 days from when they looked....but that's prior to printing campaign time, mail selection and getting X thousand through the mail to your door and opened
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheVig wrote:
Good thing you are passing.

Even with clean reports, Fingerhut is not something you want on your reports. Say you go to make a major purchase like a car or house.......an uptight underwriter who manually glances over your reports sees it, and will think one of two things......either you are stupid or have had past financial difficulties.

Sure the computer spits out and says you are ok, but the manual review says otherwise.

Again, glad to see you are passing on it.

Why would they care if you had a Fingerhut card or not?  As long as you paid the bill it wouldn't be a negative.   

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.