Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros and Cons of Amex Chase and Capital One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pros and Cons of Amex Chase and Capital One

Sorry, I wasn't clear. Op says he's a student. I assumed he wouldn't exceed the monthly spending cap. I didn't know about the 2% on the BCE for department stores. However I still wouldn't get the BCE just for that, I'd look into the double cash for 2% on all purchases.

Message 61 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One gave me my highest limit out the gate, worth the triple pull IMO (even if I'm planning on putting it in the sock drawer). Barclay gave me a decent CL,  and they were very receptive to recon CLI

FICO's?

Currently 724 according to CK and the Cap One credit checker. Was 769 according to Capital One acceptance letter.

Message 62 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Capital One gave me my highest limit out the gate, worth the triple pull IMO (even if I'm planning on putting it in the sock drawer). Barclay gave me a decent CL,  and they were very receptive to recon CLI

FICO's?

Currently 724 according to CK and the Cap One credit checker. Was 769 according to Capital One acceptance letter.

Yep..

Message 63 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

It's all up to how you are going to redeem if you want to decide if Freedom or Discover is more valuable. I'd rather have the cash back, since UR points are not particularly exciting for me since I don't really travel, and there's no extra benefit to redeem them for cash. But it depends what you're going for.

I don't think Capital One is as bad as people paint it to be. They can be a pain in the ass with some things, and they don't have a long list of great cards, but to be fair, Chase doesn't have a long list of great cards either IMO (outside of travel cards). They do not even have a general spending card if you want more than 1% back. Citi's Double Cash may outclass the Capital One Quicksilver for now but it's anyone's guess how long it will take before it will get nerfed - I'm sorry but almost every card Citi has released has been nerfed in some way. The Forward, Dividend, and the Thank You Preferred come to mind. (The latter was not directly nerfed, but thank you points have been nerfed and decreased in value over the years). Double Cash also has a bit more of a hassle with redemption (25 minimum, which in practice should not matter but it is annoying, they're your rewards you should be able to redeem whenever you want), and also the 1+1 structure is a turnoff for some.

With any card you have to weigh the pros and cons vs worrying about who you want to build a relationship with. It is important to establish a long history of responsible payments with any lender, but also important to remember that in most cases, they do not consider it a "relationship" in the same sense. You are one out of many thousands of cardholders. If they want to cancel your card for any reason, they can and will. I'm not saying not to build goodwill, but, at the end of the day, we are all disposable to the issuer. Do not focus too much on "who should I build a relationship with?", IMO. Get the card that suits you, period.

I agree that Capital One isn't as bad as people make it out to be. They've actually been wonderful to me. They gave me a nice starting limit on my Platinum MC ($3000), and then less than a month later let me PC it to a no AF Quicksilver. Capital One, like Chase, seems to think I have good credit, lol. 

Chase's card selection may be evaluated differently based on opinion, and I would never argue with opinion, but overall their card selection is viewed very favorably by the majority of myFICO members... And while I normally don't use the logical fallacy of "appeal to authority" when I debate, but really, who would know better than us?

I actually highly doubt that Double Cash will be nerfed, if for no other reason than that it's hard to conceive of a way that it could be (there are no spending categories to eliminate, no real spending bonuses to speak of other than a few targeted sign up offers). Although, I suppose if any company could find a way, it would be Citi. I suppose they could change it to .75% when you buy, .75% when you pay and make it a poor man's Quicksilver, lol. I actually think what Citi is going to do instead of nerfing the card is make it a little easier to get approved for, so less credit conscious people will apply and Citi will make money from them in interest. 

By the way, I have never, EVER understood the argument that you aren't getting the full value of the 2% the DC gives you if you don't pay in full. Obviously you don't get the other 1% back immediately if you don't PIF, but you do get it whenever you do pay your balance. 

While I agree with most of what you said in the last paragraph, relationship-building should be a priority when applying for a card if you are looking to build a strong collection of cards. While it's true that a CCC can cut you off at any time, they are less likely to do so if you have a solid, long-established relationship with them. There are companies that are important to get in with, Amex and Chase come to mind... If for no other reason than their prime offerings (Chase) or their great membership benefits like backdating (Amex).

Message 64 of 92
JamesB95
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

With a score of 615, I think you may have a tough time getting any of those cards.

Historically, Capital 1 likes people with low scores, so that'd be my choice of those cards. So far, they seem like a top notch company, although their fraud dept. Can be a PITA. For gas and groceries, I'll point you toward the Sallie Mae Mastercard. This card is designed for students, so you may be able to get it with your current time profile.

BcE is probably the most exclusive of the 3. I'd wait for scores in the 700s. Besides, the Sallie Mae makes this card obsolete. 

The Freedom can be redundant with the IT card as far as categories go. It's possible that you get 2 categories that fit your spending.. awesome. It's possible that you get 2 overlapping categories that you don't use = no rewards. 

Best of luck with whichever card you choose!

My score isn't 615 anymore (can't update sig, currently). But, I am not applying for these cards as of now. It won't take too long for me to build my score back up. The only reason they dropped is high UTIL.

Message 65 of 92
JamesB95
Regular Contributor

I forgot to add:

Before I go into gardening, full time, I will be opening an account with NFCU and apply for a credit card. After that, full time gardening for several months.

Message 66 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JamesB95 wrote:

I forgot to add:

Before I go into gardening, full time, I will be opening an account with NFCU and apply for a credit card. After that, full time gardening for several months.

Good plan.

Message 67 of 92
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@JamesB95 wrote:

Please list PROS and CONS based on your personal experiences and/or facts you know about the cards as follows:

What you're asking for is not relevant.  Pros can cons will vary from person to person.  Instead of assuming that cards (or creditors) have intrinsic value you need to look at your needs/wants and use that information to determine which cards specifically suit you.  You can't poll others as they can and do have different needs/wants.

For rewards cards many look to maximize their rewards.  If that applies to you then review your major spend categories and the amount of spend if each.  See what you have covered by rewards and where you have deficiencies.

Message 68 of 92
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I totally agree with the above. You could ask several people and they will give different answers. I find travel cards like CSP or Arrival+ completely worthless for my circumstances as I rarely travel, and if I do, it's just to the beach or something - I woudn't even make up the AF from the cards. To others, these are their main cards and a godsend, with the signup bonuses and ongoing travel perks and rewards.

On the flip side, I get tons of use out of my Quicksilver, and others hate Capital One and/or think it's a pretty unexciting card. It just depends on what you want and need and what you are really looking for. "Pros and cons" tend to be subjective. The only objective pros and cons anyone can really give would be things like the APR range, because even reward rate values are subjective, depending on what you care about (however, it's common sense that a 1% card is not an improvement over 1.5%, lol)

Message 69 of 92
JamesB95
Regular Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@JamesB95 wrote:

Please list PROS and CONS based on your personal experiences and/or facts you know about the cards as follows:

What you're asking for is not relevant.  Pros can cons will vary from person to person.  Instead of assuming that cards (or creditors) have intrinsic value you need to look at your needs/wants and use that information to determine which cards specifically suit you.  You can't poll others as they can and do have different needs/wants.

For rewards cards many look to maximize their rewards.  If that applies to you then review your major spend categories and the amount of spend if each.  See what you have covered by rewards and where you have deficiencies.

I do not have much experience with these cards/companies. Therefore, I opened a thread asking others to state their personal pros and cons. Reading/getting advice from others who have been with these cards/companies is relevant to me, personally. I am looking at what I need/want. But, again, I wanted to also have a thread on top of it to compare different views on matters I could have missed, or could of missed in the future. The intent to poll others was to base their information on others information, on top of my information, comparing.

Message 70 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.