Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros and Cons of Amex Chase and Capital One

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Pros and Cons of Amex Chase and Capital One

Personally, I wouldnt say they suck in general but they suck to me bc I value customer service and what they have in place of it is unacceptable. Now this is solid truth >>>> What Cap 1 is excellent at is sub-prime. They are excellent at giving chances "when no one else will" and that should also tell you something. If you have to start with Capital One then thats perfectly fine and nothing at all is wrong with it. They will give you a chance with a low limit/sky high APR and you will pay them in inquiries and possible frustration with the EO song and dance whenever you actually want to get something simple accomplished vs. sending a simple secure message or starting a chat to speak with someone who actually has the authority to do their job from the start. Having said that once again there is nothing wrong with starting with Capital One but if you feel that you've outgrown them after a certain point then there's also nothing wrong with moving on and looking elsewhere. I dont hold emotional attachments to any lender, thats a personal relationship decision and this should be all about business.

On the other hand if you manage to come to them with a decent profile and can be approved for one of their *excellent* cards from the start then thats a horse of an entirely different color. For me I would prefer to simply not do business with them at all based on experience but that doesnt mean they dont have their place and benefit. Capital One has a faithful following for a reason and works for many. But I couldnt compare them to Chase or Amex by any stretch of my imagination Smiley Tongue YMMV

Message 81 of 92
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

I have no experience with Chase, so I can't comment.

Never had a problem with either Cap1 or AMEX. I almost never call in to speak to someone, so CS doesn't bother me in the slightest. I look almost exclusively at the rewards, and my QS card is perfect for paying bills that I'd otherwise earn 1% or less on.

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 82 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will admit Chase is hard to work with unless you have one of their premium cards as well, but at least they try.
Message 83 of 92
JamesB95
Regular Contributor

I have been reading all of these replies learning more about credit cards/companies, absorbing this information for the future. Thank you for all your input everyone. It's nice to read subjective as well as objective views in the learning process.

Message 84 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't even get me started about my personal cons with my Chase Freedom card. I've had nothing but positive experiences with my Quicksilver card though. Love that the rewards post right away, no minimum to withdraw, the Wallet app on iOS (though I wish they just had one app integrated with the regular app's features and Wallet so that could be a con), and the easy sign-up bonus (seriously took like a week).

Message 85 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Don't even get me started about my personal cons with my Chase Freedom card. I've had nothing but positive experiences with my Quicksilver card though. Love that the rewards post right away, no minimum to withdraw, the Wallet app on iOS (though I wish they just had one app integrated with the regular app's features and Wallet so that could be a con), and the easy sign-up bonus (seriously took like a week).

You have a upper echelon QS. Smiley Happy

Message 86 of 92
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Your Freedom is the special Freedom on the forum though, I can understand your beef with itSmiley Happy..

Message 87 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Your Freedom is the special Freedom on the forum though, I can understand your beef with itSmiley Happy..

I just love how you worded that, CreditCuriousity. I immediately burst out laughing. No offense HamSupLo. I don't mean to imply that your Chase situation is funny.

Message 88 of 92
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Does he have a 500$ freedom?
Message 89 of 92
Anonymous
Not applicable

@joltdude wrote:
Does he have a 500$ freedom?

No, he has a $400 Freedom, which started as a $200 Freedom. Special, indeed.

Message 90 of 92
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.