Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Established Member

Question about Chase Freedom and Amazon rewards - Chase

Hey everyone! I was instantly apporved for a Chase Freedom card with a $1000 limit but was then declined for the Amazon Rewards Visa from chase. I reconned and they told me that one of the reasons was not long credit activity and because I was just approved that same day for a Chase card already. Would it be worth another recon and maybe asking if they would split my limit from the freedom to the amazon rewards visa? I just want to maximize my rewards for everyday purchases and figured the amazon one would be benefitial. Any recommendations? 

Valued Contributor

Re: Question about Chase Freedom and Amazon rewards - Chase

colacone wrote:

Hey everyone! I was instantly apporved for a Chase Freedom card with a $1000 limit but was then declined for the Amazon Rewards Visa from chase. I reconned and they told me that one of the reasons was not long credit activity and because I was just approved that same day for a Chase card already. Would it be worth another recon and maybe asking if they would split my limit from the freedom to the amazon rewards visa? I just want to maximize my rewards for everyday purchases and figured the amazon one would be benefitial. Any recommendations? 

You can try, but I've found that when the reason the UW doesn't want to approve more accounts or credit is that they want to see history, that's pretty difficult to change their mind on.

They want to see how you handle what they've already given you before they will consider doing anything further.

If you do decide to ask again, good luck and definitely bring up that you are willing to split and have 2 $500 cards, though to be honest I would not go that route. A $500 limit is almost useless, especially if you like to buy things from Amazon.

My TV (which I bought from them a few years ago) for example, was I think about 3000, so I would have never been able to use a 500 card to buy it... and as a Prime member I probably make 5-10 Amazon orders per month, easily spending more than $500 in one shot on a regular basis. 

Just my two cents, but again good luck if you think that two $500 cards is worth trying recon again.

Established Contributor

Show good payments and try again in 3 months.  Smiley Wink

Established Member

wanderingbuilder wrote:

colacone wrote:

You can try, but I've found that when the reason the UW doesn't want to approve more accounts or credit is that they want to see history, that's pretty difficult to change their mind on.

They want to see how you handle what they've already given you before they will consider doing anything further.

If you do decide to ask again, good luck and definitely bring up that you are willing to split and have 2 $500 cards, though to be honest I would not go that route. A $500 limit is almost useless, especially if you like to buy things from Amazon.

My TV (which I bought from them a few years ago) for example, was I think about 3000, so I would have never been able to use a 500 card to buy it... and as a Prime member I probably make 5-10 Amazon orders per month, easily spending more than $500 in one shot on a regular basis. 

Just my two cents, but again good luck if you think that two $500 cards is worth trying recon again.

thanks for the advice, however I dont plan on using any of my cards for big purchases; just my everyday purcahses I already make to get rewards that I dont get by using my debit card, ya know? I work at best buy anyways, anything big I want is electronic and I get my discount lolSmiley Wink

Valued Contributor

colacone wrote:

thanks for the advice, however I dont plan on using any of my cards for big purchases; just my everyday purcahses I already make to get rewards that I dont get by using my debit card, ya know? I work at best buy anyways, anything big I want is electronic and I get my discount lolSmiley Wink

For sure - only you can decide what is worth it to you. 

I haven't had an active debit card in 2 years, and the only expenses I have that can't go on a credit card are my car payment and auto insurance... everything else is assigned to a specific card. 

One other thought I had that you may also want to factor in... while you may only currently make tiny orders with Amazon, having bare minimum CC limits will make it more difficult for you to get decent limits if you ever reach a point where you care about that in the future because other lenders will look at your existing accounts when they pull your reports and see that the people who are already with were only willing to give you the absolute bare minimum $500 per account - which may look like you can't handle more normal limits so you could be digging yourself a baby-limit grave.

Just food for thought.

Frequent Contributor

Why not apply for the Sychrony store card?  Still get 5% at Amazon and it's not a Chase card.

EX671 TU 686 EQ 675
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Visa- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $500 Victoria's Secret- $1150 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $1400
Auto Loan Opened 2-5-16 $3148/$5500
Established Member

For sure - only you can decide what is worth it to you. 

I haven't had an active debit card in 2 years, and the only expenses I have that can't go on a credit card are my car payment and auto insurance... everything else is assigned to a specific card. 

One other thought I had that you may also want to factor in... while you may only currently make tiny orders with Amazon, having bare minimum CC limits will make it more difficult for you to get decent limits if you ever reach a point where you care about that in the future because other lenders will look at your existing accounts when they pull your reports and see that the people who are already with were only willing to give you the absolute bare minimum $500 per account - which may look like you can't handle more normal limits so you could be digging yourself a baby-limit grave.

Just food for thought.

Ahh, that makes sense. I appreciate it!

Another question. I now have a chase freedon, Cap1 QS and a secured($300 limit, $100 deposit; 9 months old - oldest card except my AU card), Discover it, and Barclay card. Cap 1 wont graduate my secured card. should I just close it since its not really that old anyways and its a low limit / secured? Get my deposit back and just go to the garden with these 4 cards I have now that are much better?

Valued Contributor

Wait a little longer on the Cap1 secured. If (big if to be honest) it unsecures it will be closer to 1 year.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.