Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Discover It App and Preapproval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Discover It App and Preapproval

Hi everyone! I have been wanting to add a Discover IT card to my collection for awhile now and I was about to pull the trigger on the app through Amazon.com where you get the $75 credit with approval and your first Amazon purchase but when I was using Discover's credit score site it finally presented me with a "Personalized offer" and it changed from the range I have been seeing every day to a solid 19.99% APR (I check it every day so I was so surprised to see the page change to that personalized offer!).

My question is...rather then apply through the preapproval offer, can I apply through the Amazon $75 promotion site and still have the same chance for approval or should I just go through the preapproval offer?

-edit- Ouch DENIED =/. They used an old FICO score from 1 week ago which was 675 and right now I'm at 692. I did have 2 recent approved cards in the past 2 months though which brough my average age down to 3 months. I guess I'll try again in the future, bummer.

I also tried calling the recon number and they weren't much help, they just said to reapply in 1 month. Normally I get notified of Hard pulls immediately but I haven't gotten any notifictions which is weird.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Question about Discover It App and Preapproval

Discover just changed their pre-approval page to be solid, now. I tried it a couple of days ago and got the old page with the wide range of APRs, and today I just got told they didn’t have any pre-approved offers for me, and that they would let me know why in 7 days, and I could try their pre-approval page again in 7 days. Pretty surprising change.

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it was showing the wide range for me before but then today showed me the 19.99. I'm still kicking myself for not using the preapproval offer link and going with the Amazon one instead lol. The good thing is my denial just had the reasons listed as : too many new revolving lines ( 2 new cards in the last 2 months) and not enough sufficient history with the new lines so hopefully after gardening for a little I'll get an approval on my next try.

Wish they would have pulled updated info for my app though

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear the denial OP. Would of been great to see if you would of used the preapproval page if you would of got denied also since the preapproval is fairly new. Try the preapproval in a month and see if you still get an offer again.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Sorry to hear the denial OP. Would of been great to see if you would of used the preapproval page if you would of got denied also since the preapproval is fairly new. Try the preapproval in a month and see if you still get an offer again.

Thank you, that's probably what I'm going to do is wait 1 month or so and use the link from the credit score site this time. I did get a preapproval for AMEX BCE and 2 other AMEX cards but now I'm to scared to try applying for those after the Discover denial today lol.

Message 5 of 17
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Is your Experian the 690 score? If it’s that’s really good for an Amex.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear about your denial OP! But garden for  a little and see if you can get a card then. 

I would like to add a data point on the Discover preapproval site. 

I apped last Friday for a second card. It came back a denial "Time too soon since I received last card." It had been more than one year by a few days. 

I read about the preapproval site on this forum and decided to "test" it today to see if it was really legit. Well, I received a no offers for you message and the reason "Time too soon since I recelived last card."  So, this new preapproval site from Discover seems to be more solid than the one before. At least, it was for me. 

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shoegal wrote:
Is your Experian the 690 score? If it’s that’s really good for an Amex.

Discover's Experian FICO score shows 698 for me and I do have preapproval offers on the AMEX page but I haven't tried it because I was bummed out about the Discover denial.

Message 8 of 17
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Is it a set APR? I started with Amex then got Discover.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@shoegal wrote:
Is it a set APR? I started with Amex then got Discover.

Yup, AMEX gives me a 17.99 APR on the preapproval for the Blue Cash Everyday card.

My TU FICO is 792, Experian is 798, not sure what Equifax is (Discover showed a 675 but it says that score and the info they got was from over a week ago), I have no lates and no baddies. The only thing hurting me (and what Discover listed as my denial reason) was I was approved for Paybal %2 Card and a Amazon Store card a little over a month ago which brought my average age of credit down to 3 months (the other card I have is a Capital One Platinum that recently got upgraded to a Quicksilver and I was approved for that almost 8 months ago).

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.