Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about Penfed denial

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Question about Penfed denial

I was denied by Penfed due to having too many recent accounts opened, too many account with balances, and a collection on record.  I admit I do have high recent inquiries along with new accounts recently but my UTI is at 15% right now, 19 mixed accounts plus one installment loan recently opened.  Nine accounts have balances, with the highest one being my Best Buy account at 39% UTI.  Bought an IMAC for my daughter four months ago at zero interest rate for 12 months.  Anyway, according to Penfed, my fico is 578.  I understand that  Penfed uses Fico 9.  I checked with Myfico scorewatch and that is indeed my current Fico 9 score.  My fico8 is at 667, 675, and EQ at 653.  What causes the big dispencrancy between EQ Fico 8 and Fico 9?  and also what can I do to raise it.  I'm planning to pay off all my accounts next month except for the Best Buy one.  I'll probably leave it at aroud 20% uti which should bring my total UTI down to below 5%.  As for the secured installment loan with Golden One, I'll pay more for it to go down under 50% but I can't pay it all the way down to under 9% like the Alliant one since it is financed for only 12 months period.  That leaves me with the collection and PRA.  PRA will not do PFD.  Would it help my score at all if I just pay if off and get them out of the way?  The account is due to fall off at the end of next year.  Thank you in advance.  I've learned so much about credit and fico scores ever since I found this forum two months ago.

2 REPLIES 2
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Question about Penfed denial

FICO 9 will give you credit for the collection being paid off. And shouldn't ding you if it does report paid. That's one of the areas that changed compared to FICO 8. Which dings your score whether the collection is paid or not.
Time will fix it all in the end. Try to be patient, all of it will be gone before you know it.
Message 2 of 3
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Question about Penfed denial

I am pretty sure that FICO9 also dings you for new accounts and possibly inquiries more than older versions, especially FICO8.   My 9 scores are 40-60 points lower than my 8's

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.